DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

How to eliminate travel delays with NPC packages?

KWITS

Good Day,

I have a scenario under my TESIV Oblivion Mod in which a one NPC leads another NPC that follows when the first NPC goes to a distant location with multiple teleports. The travel package is functioning but I want my primary NPC to lead the group as if they and they alone knew the path ahead. However, there is a 60 to 120 second delay before the NPCs begin moving through a teleport to a new interior location. Also, the two NPCs in question never go ahead of me as they should. I have to trigger the travel package to start by going first through a door. Does anyone have any ideas on how to minimize NPC travel package delays and how to have a primary NPC lead another NPC autonomously?

Thanks,

KWITS

I take it you're using MoveTo to teleport the NPCs? With MoveTo, the leader "magically" ends up in a different cell or area, and the followers have to then figure a way to get to there via the regular pathgrid system and hence they get confused.

Instead of MoveTo, try using doors instead. The doors can be hidden or invisible, and by placing the door marker where you want, they can simulate teleportation. They have the advantage that the AI knows how to use them. There's two methods that I successfully used in KOTNR:

• A tiny 1 pixel high door with an invisible mesh, no name, no open/close sound and set to "hidden" in the CS. Keep in mind that you'll need to View Collision Geometry if you ever want to find the door in the render window. :P The NPCs will find these invisible doors on their own. A minor drawback is that there is a slight possibility that the player might accidentally find it and click on it, though you can script it to not activate if the player uses it.
  • Using a script to force the NPC to activate a certain door. Again, it's best if the door has no sound. This has the advantage that you can more easily find the door in the CS, but you'll need a separate script to force the NPCs action.