DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

(Req) Head Mesh Edit

Mannimagnus

Hiya TESA! :wave:

So I've been run off my feet with schoolwork, spending my free time figuring out the changes between making races in Oblivion's CS and making races in Skyrim's CK, and I've got the hang of it now. Although I have absolutely no idea how any of Skyrim's races have different shaped heads when they are all linked to the exact same mesh.

I'm near completion of my first mod for Skyrim, an elven race, although 1) I don't know how to give it an elven head and 2) The vanilla elven heads don't look too nice so I don't actually want to use them.

So I would like to use the human head with elven ears, only problem is that now heads and ears are all part of the same mesh, unlike in Oblivion where they were seperate.

So my request is that someone would please edit the human male and female headmeshes (Male: meshes\actors\character\character assets\malehead.nif) (Female: meshes\actors\character\character assets\femalehead.nif) so that the ears look elven. The only specifics in what the ears should look like is that I'l like the ears to have a slight distinctive curve. It'd be great if someone can help me. :)

All of my craftwork projects are being handed up within the next week, so I'll be back and properly active again soon. :D

Thanks everyone! :)

Edited by Mannimagnus

Hmmm. Editing the mesh would be simple enough for me, but I'm not sure how to get it to look correct in-game. So far getting materials to look right in Nifscope has eluded me. Perhaps copying only the geometry data into the vanilla headmesh, while keeping all the BSLightingShader properties and other arcane things untouched? There's a proper way to do all that, but I don't know it. Would it be enough for me to send you a non-working .nif that holds the essential nitrishape data?

Another potential issue is that if you're going to use the vanilla texture, then there's going to be texture distortion on the ears. We can prevent that by baking textures from the vanilla UV map to a custom, low-distortion UV map. This would work perfectly for objects and creatures, but may see problems down the road if you're creating NPCs with individual textures. Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are, I suppose.