DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Some questions about Location objects

syscrusher

I modified two cells just outside Solitude for my recently-released (as a beta) mod Humblespire. I followed DarkRider's directions to do this, and everything seems to be working fine, including my horse marker (that was a fun moment to see that work in game!). The process caused me to wonder about a couple of things, though, so I thought I'd ask a followup question here.

I used the SolitudeLocation as the starting point for SyscrusherHumblespireLocation, because my cells were previously within that Location. It was a matter of following the "change as little as possible vanilla content" principle. :) That gave me sensible defaults for crime reporting, climate, and so on. The place I got confused was in the Keywords section. There are a whole bunch of keywords related to being a city, having an inn present, and for the civil war quest line. One of the cells I edited happens to touch one corner of the CW battle zone. I left those keywords in place in my mod, figuring that if I deleted them it might break the CW quests, which would be a Very Bad Thing. Was that the right decision?

With regard to being a city and having an inn, I did not touch cells to which those two things apply, so my thinking is that I probably could safely delete that type of keyword from my Location. Is that a correct assumption? And if I can, does that imply that I should delete those?

Thanks for any advice.

I would not be changing ANY vanilla location data.

For my mod, I created my own location.

To get the well rested perk to work, I added the following keywords to my location.

LocTypeDwelling

LocTypeHouse

LocTypePlayerHouse

You then just set each of your cells to your new location and your done.

Thanks, WillieSea. Are you saying I should do this only to my *interior* cells and not my exterior cells? If not the exterior cells, how do I get a horse marker to work?

I particularly appreciate the tips on getting the Well Rested perk to work. I had assumed that was related to whether the bed was owned by the player's faction -- good to know it's Location-sensitive also.

By the way, the current state of my *exterior* cells is that they are in my Location, but that is identical to the vanilla Location to which they used to belong. I cloned it, added my horse marker, then made my two cells part of my new Location. So the keywords are the same as before, just a different horse marker. My *interior* cells are currently not part of any location -- should they be?

Edited by syscrusher

• 2 weeks later...

It's working now, thanks to you good folks' help. The Location keywords were the issue; I had the ownership correct, but had failed to add the LocTypeDwelling, LocTypeHouse, and LocTypePlayerHouse keywords to my interior because they weren't in the original exterior location.

FWIW, a few days ago I tested my mod against the Civil War questline, which uses part of one of my exterior cells, and found no conflicts. So it looks as if retaining the extant keywords from the vanilla cell was in fact the right answer.

@WillieSea: As far as I can tell, those keywords aren't documented on Bethesda's CK wiki. I would add this myself, but given my relative newbie-ness, I'm a little hesitant to make changes to that wiki other than a couple of typo corrections I have submitted. Could I suggest that you post that information there when you have some spare time?

Edited by syscrusher