DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[RELz] More Dynamic Injuries

ThomasKaira

More Dynamic Injuries

A harsher combat experience, where the unprepared will die a slow, painful death.

Latest Version: 1.1.6

Translations:

German

Requirements:

• Skyrim version 1.5.24 or later. Previous versions WILL NOT WORK. Please don’t bother asking for help if you have an earlier version of Skyrim, as I guarantee you your issues are being caused by your game being out of date.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does this mod conflict with XXX?

A: No. All changes made by this mod are isolated and will not interfere with anything any other mods wish to do.

Q: The merchants aren’t stocking the items! What gives?

A: Due to a bug in how the game handles items being added to containers via script, you will not see the items available for sale on the first barter session. Exit the barter menu and check back again, and they should be there.

Q: Why are items not showing up on the Crafting menu?

A: The list culls itself to keep from being too huge (there are a lot of items on it). If you do not see an item available, it means you do not have the required materials to craft the item.

Q: When I start the mod, I immediately “die of blood loss!†What happened?

A: The scripts did not load properly. Download the “Loose Scripts†file and use it instead (not available on Steam Workshop, unfortunately, due to the extremely rigid file type restrictions). If you still die, check your game version. Make sure you have at least 1.5.24, otherwise I will not help you with your problems until you update your game.

Q: Help! The mod is FUBAR and I can’t get to the Config menus! What do I do?!

A: Open the console and type in “Set INJEmergencyUninstall to 1†(or any number you want that is not 0). This will immediately shut the mod down and allow you to safely remove it from your load order.

Overview

Skyrim is a harsh place. Fights for survival are not uncommon; be it between Bandits and travellers, to Imperials vs. Stormcloacks, to even simply you vs. the bitter cold. Only the strong survive in the wilderness. And survival is not easy.

And with this mod, it will get that much more difficult. Fighting is brutal, and can leave one’s body torn and broken. Healing spells can help, but they can only get you so far. As you sustain more severe injuries, which progress from not-terribly-noticeable to lethal, you will need to seek medical attention from somewhere other than your spellbook.

What’s New?

• Fixed Bug: Removed some old leftover Debug entries.
  • Optimization: NPC Tracker scripts have been removed, as per my decision that they were too problematic to be kept. They will not be returned ever, so please refrain from asking. Follower tracking will remain, though. This is a roleplay mod, not a combat mod. Keeping these sorts of details on minor actors is completely unneeded.
  • Feature Change: The mod no longer performs internal reductions for burns and frostbite based on your resistances. The game already performs damage reduction for these and the mod uses damage taken as its baseline for all calculations, so the extra debuffs were unnecessary.

Features

Multiple new injury types

Aside from your basic cuts and bruises, you will now have to deal with burns, frostbite, blood loss, and broken bones.

Health is now your damage tolerance, or how much immediate damage you can take before you die of shock trauma. Healing spells, Drain and Fortify Health effects all improve (or decrease) this value as is normal in the game. It also represents your body’s physical conditioning. More health (unmodified) means you can take more punishment… to a point.

Your Injury level is how much long-term damage was caused to your muscle tissue from cuts and bruises. If not too severe, they will heal themselves over time. If they get particularly bad, though, then you will be required to intervene and stitch up those deep wounds before you bleed out. Healing spells don’t close wounds, they help reduce pain and shock trauma and allow you to continue on in a fight for longer. Bad injuries will have a negative effect on your Health, too, so keep them in check.

Being hit with particularly heavy weapons results in blunt force trauma, which is not too healthy for your skeleton. Take too many blows on the arm from a warhammer, and you’ll find yourself unable to use that arm, on account of it being broken and crippled. If you break an arm, you cannot equip anything (not even spells) to that hand. Break both arms and that fight’s over (run or die, your choice). Subsequently, breaking a leg will severely handicap your ability to move around; your overall speed will drop significantly. Break both legs, and not only do you lose even more of your agility, but now you are stuck walking, and in very big trouble.

Both if these wounds cause immediate blood loss (external and internal bleeding, respectively). If your injuries get too severe, however, you will begin bleeding out. If you do nothing, you will find your vision blurring, your Stamina falling, and your body weakening. Left untreated, you will die. When you are not bleeding out, your blood will slowly replenish itself over time.

Play with fire, you get burned. Taking damage from flames will result in you receiving burns of increasing severity. When they get too severe, you will be in indescribable pain, resulting in you losing health progressively over time instead of regenerating it. Getting badly shocked by a lightning spell will also burn you, so keep an eye out.

The extreme cold of Skyrim is just as much an enemy as those bandits you killed five minutes ago. Be it a freezing spell, or taking a dive into the Sea of Ghosts, you will find the temperature of your extremities dropping. Fast. Nip this in the bud and get your temperature back up by getting out of the cold, else you will find yourself slogging about sluggishly in the snow unable to use your hands on account of your fingers being frozen. You’ll need outside help at this point. But don’t worry; in this world of Alchemy and potions, the need amputation is quite rare.

It’s not just you who is in danger of a horrible, bloody, and painful death. Everyone is, be it your grandmother, your adventuring companion, or that bandit you are now fighting.

You can find all this information in-game stored in a handy guide book called Surviving Skyrim: Field Medicine. You will be prompted to pick up a copy when you load up the mod. It is from this guide you can configure this mod’s many injuries. If you are feeling things are too easy, you can turn the damage rates up all the way to five times the default. And if you are feeling overwhelmed, turn the rates down all the way to one-fifth the default. This guide is available in any general store.

You can check on your injuries using your Treat Injuries Shout. Tap your Shout key to see and treat your own injuries, or hold it down to see your follower’s injuries.

Treatments

Minor wounds (50 and above, or anything greater than 0 for limbs) of any type will heal themselves over time. If you find they are getting too severe, take a rest and let them heal up.

For severe wounds, you will need stitches to fix them. They are available from your local apothecary, or craftable using sinew and a lockpick. Once stitched, your injuries will heal themselves, but be careful you don’t get into any strenuous activities. You don’t want to tear your stitches or you’ll lose all your hard work.

If you don’t have stitches, you can bandage the wound to slow the bleeding. You can make them yourself using some linen wraps and alcohol (nord mead or any wine) or buy them from your local Apothecary. Once bandaged, your blood loss rate will be permanently slowed until you can get the wounds treated.

And if all else fails, a leather strip tourniquet can slow the bleeding for a short time, perhaps long enough for you to find help.

Broken bones will need a splint to help set the bone properly. You can buy them, again, from your local apothecary, or you can make them yourself given you have the knowhow and the needed items (firewood and 5 leather strips).

For severe burns, you will need burn cream, available at your local apothecary or craftable by mixing together three of any ingredient containing a Resist Frost effect (or three of one and one batch of Frost Salts). Once applied, your burns will be soothed, and will be healed over time.

For severe frostbite, warming cream is needed. Buy it from your local apothecary or make it yourself using three of any ingredient containing a Resist Fire effect (or three of one and one batch of Fire Salts). Once applied, you will feel immediate relief, and your frostbite will go away over time.

All medical supplies can be found for sale at your local apothecary, or you can make them yourself by using your Craft Medical Supplies power. You will only be able to see the recipes you are currently capable of making, so don’t be surprised if this list is empty when you open it.

You can only fully treat your injuries while outside of combat. In combat, you may apply bandages and tourniquets, but nothing else.

Your followers will automatically treat their own injuries so long as they have the appropriate medical supplies. You need only keep them supplied.

Installation

Steam Workshop users: The mod will be automatically downloaded and installed for you when you next start the game (through the normal launcher) once you subscribe to it on the Workshop page.

Wrye Bash users: The mod is provided in a BAIN-friendly format so that you may quickly drop it into your Installers folder and install.

Nexus Mod Manager users: Nexus Mod Manager will be able to handle the packaging of this mod on its own, you won’t need to do anything fancy. Just convert it into an FOMOD and install.

If you use none of the above: Just drag and drop the provided files into your Skyrim\Data folder.

Once you have installed the mod, you will need to initialize it (you will receive an Objective for this if you installed the mod correctly). This is performed by purchasing a copy of Surviving Skyrim: Field Medicine from your local General Store and reading it. You will then receive the prompt to activate the mod.

Updating

This mod will handle everything that needs doing for updating the mod for you. You need do nothing outside of downloading the new version.

For users of 1.1: before you update, if you managed to obtain a copy of the Guide Book, please drop it before you update.

Uninstallation

Very important: you MUST run the Uninstall function in-game before deactivating; otherwise you and your follower's stats will be permanently broken.

The Uninstall function is located in the Configuration sub-menu of your Injury Options menu. Use it before continuing.

Steam Workshop users: First, unsubscribe. You will then need to manually delete the files the mod provided, which are: More Dynamic Injuries.BSA and More Dynamic Injuries.ESP.

Wrye Bash users: Very easy, just navigate to the package in your installers tab and choose Uninstall.

Nexus Mod Manager: Again, very easy. Just deactivate the mod.

If you use none of the above: Simply follow the steps for Steam Workshop minus the need to unsubscribe.

Configuring the Mod

The mod’s default damage and healing rates are balanced towards a difficulty level of Adept. If you play at a higher difficulty, you may find yourself getting injured a bit too quickly. Thankfully, this mod’s damage and healing rates are fully configurable. Just enter your Injury Options menu and select Configure. You will be able to modify both the Global rates and the rates for the specific injuries from there.

Compatibility

Incompatible with any other injury mod.

Should be compatible with any other non-injury related mod out there.

Mod makers: if you provide new weapons for NPCs to use, your mod will be compatible with this one so long as you follow proper Keyword conventions with your weapon mods. Just make sure your weapons have the correct WeapType Keywords and there will be no problems.

Known Issues

Fall damage currently does not cause any injuries. This was attempted, but I was forced to abandon it due to problems with the detection conflicting with the rest of the mod’s internals.

Injury data on minor NPCs is lost when they are unloaded. This was originally planned to be addressed, but those plans were abandoned to avoid overtaxing the Papyrus VM, which is quite sensitive. Due to script overhead issues, this cannot be addressed.

Animations may be slightly delayed. This is because Papyrus is slow and cannot perform instantaneous reactions. Nothing can be done about this.

If you are using mods that allow you to have multiple followers, only one follower at a time will be tracked. Due to the need to keep my processing footprint down, I am not going to address this. Blame Papyrus for being sensitive; if I go any further, I fear I might start interfering with other peoples’ mods.

Recommended Mods

For the maximum realism experience, it is recommended you run these mods alongside:

Imp’s More Complex Needs

Frostfall

Permissions

- You are free to alter, expand on, or destroy this mod in any way you see fit. If you wish to share your work, however, you MUST contact me and obtain my explicit permission before doing so. Any instances of severe mod destruction will not be eligible for technical support until restored to a functional state.

- Any works that are found to be in breach of the above, the author will receive a single polite request from me to remove it from wherever it is being hosted (from all sites it is being hosted on). Failure to respond within 48 hours will result in more direct action being taken.

- DO NOT upload this mod to any site other than those I have personally uploaded it to without my express permission given. Any user or site found in violation of this will be considered to be stealing intellectual property and will be treated as such. Just because this mod is free does not mean that gives you free reign over what you can do with it. My work, my rules.

- If I fail to respond to your requests to expand or alter this mod within 30 days, you may consider yourself as having my approval to do as you wish, but please note that upload location restrictions still stand.

- Translators: please simply PM me if you wish to translate this mod. If you wish to upload the translated version to one of my current mirrors, you may consider my answer to be “yes†outright. If you wish to upload elsewhere, though, you must obtain my permission to do so. All I wish to know is that the mod is being translated, and anyone who wishes to do so has my approval.

Full Changelog:

-v1.1.6: 06/18/2012

• Optimization: NPC Tracker scripts have been removed, as per my decision that they were too problematic to be kept. They will not be returned ever, so please refrain from asking. Follower tracking will remain, though. This is a roleplay mod, not a combat mod. Keeping these sorts of details on minor actors is completely unneeded.
  • Feature Change: The mod no longer performs internal reductions for burns and frostbite based on your resistances. The game already performs damage reduction for these and the mod uses damage taken as its baseline for all calculations, so the extra debuffs were unnecessary.

-v1.1.5: 06/16/2012

• General fixes for the menus.
  • Followers will no longer continuously cycle between Bleedout enter/exit animations while bleeding.
  • The mod will now pause and reset itself on updating if you do not have the Guide Book in your inventory.
  • Prevented Blood Loss ImageSpace Modifier from being erroneously triggered when your follower’s blood level returned to acceptable levels.
  • Removed Shout and split it into two Lesser Powers, as you would not be able to use it if you had previously used a Shout requiring cool-down.
  • Stopped the mod from causing NPC idle animations to stutter.
  • Uninstalling the mod will now require you clean-save. You may reinstall any time after without issue.
  • Prevented the player from treating any injuries while the mod is paused.
  • It is now possible to give your follower medical supplies through the Follower Injuries menu, in case you find yourself unable to talk to them.
  • The Guide Book acquisition has been made a bit less touchy. Copies to the book can be found on the counter in the local General Stores for you to buy (or in Inns for towns without a general merchant). You can find a copy at every major settlement in Skyrim and Riverwood.

- v1.1: 06/14/2012

• NPCs will now be affected by all injuries the player can sustain, and will suffer all ill effects.
  • Treat your follower’s injuries. This is done simply by giving them medical supplies. Do that, and they will take care of the rest.
  • New animation events for being injured and for breaking your arms and legs.
  • Vampire Blood Drain spells are now recognized and have their own injury calculations (you will lose more blood than normal).
  • Werewolves will now heal 4 times faster and be injured 4 times slower while in beast form, but if you are a werewolf, you will not receive the sleep healing bonus.
  • Injuries were not being sustained from traps.
  • Dawnstar Alchemist was not on the list for receiving medical items.
  • Blood loss calculations were increasing exponentially instead of linearly depending on your injury severity.
  • Vampires are no longer allowed to die from blood loss.
  • New recipes for Burn Cream and Warming Cream. Any ingredient with Resist Fire and Resist Frost effects may now be used.
  • New recipe for stitches. Harvest sinew from animal hides and use it to make your stitches.
  • You can now use Wine and Alto Wine to craft your bandages.
  • It is now possible to apply bandages and tourniquets during combat. You will still need to wait until combat is over to stitch yourself up, though.
  • Menus have been overhauled. The mod now comes with an internal guide book (read it) that you can use to access the configuration options. And the former Injury Options power now is solely used to access the Crafting menu. Treat Injuries is now a Shout. Quickly press your Shout key to treat your own injuries, or hold it to check your companion’s injuries.
  • Maximum limit for user configuration increased from 2.5 to 5.

- v1.05: 06/01/2012

• Damage and healing calculations rebalanced.
  • Tweaked Wait/Sleep/Travel healing for while medicine is applied to prevent possible exploit.
  • A couple miscellaneous changes.

- v1.01: 05/31/2012

• Minor Debug Update

- v1.0: 05/31/2012

• Initial Release

Edited by ThomasKaira

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Version 1.1

• New Feature: NPCs will now be affected by all injuries the player can sustain, and will suffer all ill effects.
  • New Feature: Treat your follower’s injuries. This is done simply by giving them medical supplies. Do that, and they will take care of the rest.
  • New Feature: New animation events for being injured and for breaking your arms and legs.
  • Feature Change: Vampire Blood Drain spells are now recognized and have their own injury calculations (you will lose more blood than normal).
  • Feature Change: Werewolves will now heal 4 times faster and be injured 4 times slower while in beast form, but if you are a werewolf, you will not receive the sleep healing bonus.
  • Fixed Bug: Injuries were not being sustained from traps.
  • Fixed Bug: Dawnstar Alchemist was not on the list for receiving medical items.
  • Fixed bug: Blood loss calculations were increasing exponentially instead of linearly depending on your injury severity.
  • Fixed Bug: Vampires are no longer allowed to die from blood loss.
  • Feature Change: New recipes for Burn Cream and Warming Cream. Any ingredient with Resist Fire and Resist Frost effects may now be used.
  • Feature Change: New recipe for stitches. Harvest sinew from animal hides and use it to make your stitches.
  • Feature Change: You can now use Wine and Alto Wine to craft your bandages.
  • Feature Change: It is now possible to apply bandages and tourniquets during combat. You will still need to wait until combat is over to stitch yourself up, though.
  • Feature Change: Menus have been overhauled. The mod now comes with an internal guide book (read it) that you can use to access the configuration options. And the former Injury Options power now is solely used to access the Crafting menu. Treat Injuries is now a Shout. Quickly press your Shout key to treat your own injuries, or hold it to check your companion’s injuries.
  • Feature Change: Maximum limit for user configuration increased from 2.5 to 5.

Update: Version 1.1.5

• General fixes for the menus.
  • Followers will no longer continuously cycle between Bleedout enter/exit animations while bleeding.
  • The mod will now pause and reset itself on updating if you do not have the Guide Book in your inventory.
  • Prevented Blood Loss ImageSpace Modifier from being erroneously triggered when your follower’s blood level returned to acceptable levels.
  • Removed Shout and split it into two Lesser Powers, as you would not be able to use it if you had previously used a Shout requiring cool-down.
  • Stopped the mod from causing NPC idle animations to stutter.
  • Uninstalling the mod will now require you clean-save. You may reinstall any time after without issue.
  • Prevented the player from treating any injuries while the mod is paused.
  • It is now possible to give your follower medical supplies through the Follower Injuries menu, in case you find yourself unable to talk to them.
  • The Guide Book acquisition has been made a bit less touchy. Copies to the book can be found on the counter in the local General Stores for you to buy (or in Inns for towns without a general merchant). You can find a copy at every major settlement in Skyrim and Riverwood.

Users of Version 1.1: please drop your Guide Books if you obtained one before updating (they are not quest items, you can easily do so) in order to allow the mod to reset the scripts properly.

Update: Version 1.1.6

• 3 weeks later...