DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[OB] Search: Tool to automatically optimize the texture path in Nif files

Gramblosh

Hi experts, I am searching for a light weight, easy to use tool to repair the texture path in nifs. Mainly for packing them into a BSA, so setting the correct slash (and maybe a relative path) would be the key feature everything else (further optimization) would be fine but is not recommended. TES4files can do something like that and I am rather sure that NIFopt and similar tools can do that too. But I wonder if there is something smarter/simpler, that I can unpack a downloaded mod and simply let the tool (GUI would be nice) run across the meshes folder before I create the BSA.

I feel kinda lost in all those tools around so some advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

PyFFI can do some of that for you, but it's not quite a one-click process. You can optimise a nif from the context menu in Windows Explorer. It only does one file at a time, though you can highlight a whole bunch of files at once if you want. (Not too many as it opens a Window for each one.)
  • Upvote 1

Hmmm, I thought using NifOpt is a bit over powered, I am just a tiny little mod user wanting to keep his data folder clean :unsure: Well, so I think I need to put some more effort into these things than I wanted to do, hoped there was something more basic, these monster optimizers are giving me headaches.

Thanks, for your help.

EDIT: Maybe you meant this GUI? Was a bit hidden on their page.

Edited by Gramblosh

Hmm, maybe if you explained what it is you're trying to do?

If you're just wanting to clean mods that you are using the best option is TES4Edit.

No, I don't want to clean mods. Hope the ones I install are cleaned :D

I just want to pack the meshes and textures added by mods I have installed or I am going to install into BSAs (or maybe a single BSA), mainly to keep my data folder clean. That only works if the texture path in the nifs is correctly set with a \ instead of a /. Pretty annoying little thing cause it happens rather often even with stuff by good and well known modding artists (Adonnay's Elven Weapons for example wont work when packed without fixing the path). For the Mods I have already installed I am using TES4files which does a good job even though it's not its main job (maybe I could run that on a faked data folder, note to self: try), so I wondered if there is something that just checks the nif in a folder and replaces the slash in case of a wrong one, if it does anything further (removing bogus nodes and stuff) it's fine but not recommended, most of all it has to be a safe and simple tool. Maybe a too simple problem :D