DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Sky] What do I download to create objects?

Xxbtztrl

Hello and thank you for reading!

I have been wondering what files and versions that MUST be downloaded in order to create meshes and textures for Skyrim because of some version incompatibilities between programs such as Nifskope and Blender and im not sure which versions should be downloaded that is supported or capable of importing/exporting for Skyrim, can anyone please help me? I plan on using Blender.

There are no versions of Blender that support Skyrim yet, so really it's down to personal preference. I'd suggest getting the latest version of Blender as it's far easier to use, also future versions of Nifscripts will require it.

I'd also suggest getting Nifskope 1.1.0 RC6, which is available here, scroll down to find the download link.

We have a tutorial here for importing models, it was written for Weapons but it works for other models too like Clutter and Architecture for example.

For texturing you'll need Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.Net and the DDS plugins for either one, you can find more information in the Graphic Artistry Classes

Ah, thank you very much for lending a hand! I very much appreciate it. But isn't there an issue with the importing and exporting with the latest version of Blender? I was told that Blender v2.49b was best to have

2.49b is the last version before they overhauled the UI to be more user friendly. Personally I find the new layout and keybindings troublesome because I am used to the older versions. So for you, I suggest getting 2.5 and learning the latest interface, as all newer versions in the future will be based off that.

If you use blender you have to export and import your meshes as *.obj files - look at the tutorial that IS has linked for you.

I cannot handle Blender myself but I use Blender 2.5* for importing files and exporting them as *.obj

You don't HAVE TO export as obj. You can do some wizardry and export as a nif for fallout and copy the 3D data over. I find that to be slightly easier, but that's just personal preference.

I've seen this question asked a lot in many forums, and the abundance of tools out there right now causes mass confusion. So I'll try to make it a little clearer. (I'll probably move this to a pinned thread somewhere)

Supports all TES games, except Skyrim. There is no combination which supports Skyrim yet. Period.

Blender 2.49a

Nifscripts 2.5.8

Pyffi 2.1.11 with python 2.6.6

Nifskope 1.0.22

The only fully supported combination.

Blender 2.5+

Nifscripts - None, development moved to Blender 2.6

Pyffi 2.1.11 with python 2.6.6 or Pyffi-py3k 2.2.0 with python 3.1.x

Blender 2.6+

Nifscripts 2.6.0 (alpha)

requires pyffi-py3k 2.2.0 with python 3.2.2 (beta)

Nifskope 1.1.0 RC6 or RC7 (beta)

-Only imports/exports very basic properties - NiTriShapes, Materials and UV's (NiTexturingProperty), which means no collision, no bones/skeletal/rigging support, no animations.

Which is why I personally continue to recommend Blender 2.49a. I know people's opinions vary and fancy new GUI's are an eyecandy draw. I'm not here to debate which combo you should use, just presenting the facts. :)

• 4 weeks later...

You don't HAVE TO export as obj. You can do some wizardry and export as a nif for fallout and copy the 3D data over. I find that to be slightly easier, but that's just personal preference.

Sorry for the necromancy of this thread, but I remembered your answer - do you have a link to a tutorial for me how this works?

Is the fallout method a way to get vertex painting imported too?

I was trying to import a nif from an Oblivion mod that makes extensive use of vertex painting in some NiTriShapes - and the vertex painting is not ported over, so the whole thing looks dull compared to the original.