DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[RELz] Breaking and Entering

ThomasKaira

Breaking and Entering

Teach those pesky locks how a warrior gets past them!

Requirements:

• Skyrim version 1.7.7.0.6 or later. Previous versions WILL NOT WORK.

Frequently Asked Questions/Troubleshooting

Q: Is <insert random mod here> compatible with this one?

A: Yes.

Q: I broke the lock on that container/door! Why is the game still telling me it’s locked?

A: Because the UI is dumb like that. There isn’t anything I can do to prevent this, but rest assured the lock state is updating even if the UI prompt is not.

Q: I’ve installed Skyrim Script Extender! Why is the mod telling me it’s not installed?

A: You did not FULLY install Skyrim Script Extender. You can’t just drop the SKSE DLL and the loaders into your game folder anymore; you also need to install everything provided in the Data folder, as well. Otherwise, Papyrus will be unable to access the new functions and the mod will report the “SKSE not installed†error. If you still get the error, make sure you have installed your game outside of the Program Files directory (to avoid issues with UAC) and run SKSE as an Administrator.

Q: I have not installed SKSE and I don’t want to. Can I still use your mod?

A: Yes, The mod is both SKSE and non-SKSE compatible and which version is used is all handled internally. You don’t need to jump through any hoops.

Q: What’s the .BSL file for? It doesn’t do anything in-game.

A: It is used by Archive.EXE to record filename data. Without it, if you unpacked the BSA file with Archive.EXE, the filenames would turn to gibberish.

Q: What’s the brawl-bug plugin and why is it necessary?

A: The Brawl-bug plugin provides a fix for the brawl bug, where mods attaching scripts to actors dynamically by using Cloak spells would cause brawls with NPCs to become fights to the death because the script detecting if the player was cheating was not properly checking if the magic effect was actually harmful, as well as a number of other problems (critters dieing and so on). The chances of this mod needing this are very slim, but it's there if you want it.

Overview

Is your barbarian tired of fumbling around with itty-bitty bits of metal when what he REALLY wants to do is teach that pesky lock how warriors like to pick them? Well, now his dreams can finally come true. This mod is very small, but very simple: it adds a lock-bash mechanic to the game that is not only simple to use, it can be used anywhere a lock can be found. Be it a treasure chest in a dungeon, the chest in your cellar you lost the key to ages ago, or an object belonging to someone else’s mod entirely. All may be bashed.

What’s New?

• (Fixed Bug) Commanded actors will no longer attack you if you are lock-bashing in front of them.

• (Fixed Bug) Only actors with valid Crime Factions will now be considered potential witnesses.

Features

Lock-Bash

You can now open locks on both containers and doors by bashing them with your weapon (excluding Bows and Daggers). All you need to do is get up nice and close and start smashing away. Eventually, one of two things will happen:

• You will hear the click of the lock breaking and the object will become unlocked. You will also receive skill progress for successfully bashing.

• You will hear a rather alarming smashing sound as you damage the object, and you won’t be able to access it.

If the latter, the only way to access what was inside/behind the object is if you have the key. Or, you can wait for someone who does have the key to come by and undo the lock.

Be warned, however, the citizens of Skyrim are not going to just let you beat down their doors. It is a crime, and if someone catches you trying to break down someone else’s door, you will be arrested and fined. The bounty is equivalent to an Assault charge.

Installation

Wrye Bash users: The mod is provided in a BAIN-friendly format so that you may quickly drop it into your Installers folder and install.

Nexus Mod Manager users: Nexus Mod Manager will be able to handle the packaging of this mod on its own, you won’t need to do anything fancy. Just convert it into an FOMOD and install.

If you use none of the above: Just drag and drop the provided files into your Skyrim\Data folder.

Users of SKSE will have access to some code optimization in the mod, but this mod is fully capable of being used without SKSE.

Uninstallation

Wrye Bash users: Very easy, just navigate to the package in your installers tab and choose Uninstall.

Nexus Mod Manager: Again, very easy. Just deactivate the mod.

If you use none of the above: Simply follow the steps for Steam Workshop minus the need to unsubscribe.

Notice: This mod is scripted with Papyrus, and uninstalling this mod will leave script debris in your save. There is nothing that can be done about this.

Compatibility

• The only mods that are incompatible are mods that try to add their own lock-bash mechanics to the game, which to my knowledge, none exist.
  • This mod is compatible with everything else, including the official DLC, and requires no patches.

Recommended Mods:

Skyrim Script Extender

Brawl-bug Plugin

Known Issues

The Lock state of the containers displayed beneath your crosshair on the UI will not update when you bash a lock or damage the object until you scroll off of the object and back on. This is a bug in the UI, which nothing can be done to address from the Papyrus front.

Permissions

- You are free to alter, expand on, or destroy this mod in any way you see fit. If you wish to share your work, however, you MUST contact me and obtain my explicit permission before doing so. Any instances of severe mod destruction will not be eligible for technical support until restored to a functional state.

- Any works that are found to be in breach of the above, the author will receive a single polite request from me to remove it from wherever it is being hosted (from all sites it is being hosted on). Failure to respond within 48 hours will result in more direct action being taken.

- DO NOT upload this mod to any site other than those I have personally uploaded it to without my express permission given. Any user or site found in violation of this will be considered to be stealing intellectual property and will be treated as such. Just because this mod is free does not mean that gives you free reign over what you can do with it. My work, my rules.

- If I fail to respond to your requests to expand or alter this mod within 30 days, you may consider yourself as having my approval to do as you wish, but please note that upload location restrictions still stand.

- Translators: please simply PM me if you wish to translate this mod. If you wish to upload the translated version to one of my current mirrors, you may consider my answer to be “yes†outright. If you wish to upload elsewhere, though, you must obtain my permission to do so. All I wish to know is that the mod is being translated, and anyone who wishes to do so has my approval.

- Compatibility: Please send me a message that you have made a compatibility patch for this mod so that I can be made aware of its presence. You do not need to wait for my permission to release compatibility patches, but I appreciate you informing me of their existence so I can factor for them.

Full Changelog:

- v1.02: 09/23/2012

(Fixed Bug) Commanded actors will no longer attack you if you are lock-bashing in front of them.

(Fixed Bug) Only actors with valid Crime Factions will now be considered potential witnesses.

- v1.01: 09/09/2012

(Fixed Bug) Added extra condition to the Witness Detection for player followers, in case they don’t get added to the PlayerFollowerFaction (example: Serana).

(Fixed Bug) Conditionalized the “caught lock-bashing†message so it only appears if you got a bounty for it.

(Fixed Bug) Made sure only the Player is capable of lock-bashing.

(Feature Change) Adjusted failure chance to be slightly higher.

(Other) Brawl-bug plugin support.

- v1.0: 09/07/2012

Initial Release

Edited by ThomasKaira

Update: Version 1.01

(Fixed Bug) Added extra condition to the Witness Detection for player followers, in case they don’t get added to the PlayerFollowerFaction (example: Serana).

(Fixed Bug) Conditionalized the “caught lock-bashing†message so it only appears if you got a bounty for it.

(Fixed Bug) Made sure only the Player is capable of lock-bashing.

(Feature Change) Adjusted failure chance to be slightly higher.

(Other) Brawl-bug plugin support.

• 2 weeks later...

I added a check for IsPlayerTeammate to the conditions for the magic effect. Although she does not actually get added to PlayerFollowerFaction, she is considered a teammate. This also holds true for any temporary followers you might pick up, as well.

and...

Update: Version 1.02

• (Fixed Bug) Commanded actors will no longer attack you if you are lock-bashing in front of them.

• (Fixed Bug) Only actors with valid Crime Factions will now be considered potential witnesses.

Edited by ThomasKaira