DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Building a Room

dottedgirl

Building halls and basic, square-like rooms is easy. Super easy.

But I don't want to make The Square Tomb of Rectangles. I want to make interesting geometry and stuff, dang-it! But I'm not seeing how to do it well without making the room look like a convoluted mess of intersecting building pieces.

Let me get a bit more specific. The current space that I am working on is using the Dwemmer set. I am trying to build a tidy area, not a ruined one. My original sketches involved large chambers with multiple floors and ledges and multiple exits. Looked awesome on paper. However, I am having difficulty finding a combination of pieces that I can use to build a seamless skeleton of the room. Sure I can make a nice neat large chamber with no seams, but putting an entrance into it? I can't find a wall piece that puts a door where I want it, or a ledge piece that I can add that doesn't look like the dwarves jammed a stone into a wall in whatever way they pleased.

I have taken a look at other spaces, such as Markarth homes, and I see that some pieces are just very partially used, like the very top portion of a large room wall is actually in the space.

EDIT: Here is a picture of what I wish to do.

http://img263.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=587648602_Example_122_554lo.jpg#

I'd like to make a room THAT size, but with a smallish entrance up at the top. What pieces could I use to fill in the bottom wall without blocking the top entrance or making a visual mess?

But I'm really looking for specific advice from experienced modders for a rookie.

~Em

P.S. How do I use the shoutbox? I can't see a spot for me to type in and submit messages.

Edited by dottedgirl

Hello Dottedgirl,

I know the feeling.

I placed my first creation kit piece a few weeks ago and understand the frustration in transforming your vision into a reality that stands up to all camera angles. I'm not familiar with the Dwemer kit, but I can share what I know.

Post a screenie, and I'll tell you what I know..

Best regards

James

Ah, thanks for the screen, I see what you're trying to do.

The architecture kits are standardised to assist the developers construct rooms quickly. Where standard components don't fit, Bethesda construct their own custom components to fit (as an International development house does)

This means that you and I have to find a way around things. Which means that our digital vision wil take longer to get to than we first imagined. I opened the creation kit when it first came out last year, fumbled around and gave up. I played the game normally, saw a few items of scenery and started wondering what would happen if I could cut piece X over piece Y.

So., as said, I'm not familiar with the Dwemer kit, but perhaps you can shrink some items to fit, rotate them, lift them from another kit.

I wasn't happy with the stairs available in the Solitude kit, and didn't want everyone recognising the double spiral from the Blue Palace, so I shrunk the Sol Large kit down to fit the Medium kit, and placed it outside the grid (Grid snap off) I've resized columns to edge the sides of certain scenery and used blocks and other blanking scenery to hide the gaps where the netherworld shows through.

I know that it might feel like you're putting a sticking paster over things, but if you look closely enough, you'll see it's how Bethesda themselves do it.

There are plenty of objects available to get a good bit of scenery. The constant select>click>preview?cancel means that the various kits aren't easy to work with, but this is only due to experience.

Have a go and post back with your efforts. I'll let you know what I think.

Best regards

James

• Upvote 1

Hi dottedgirl and welcome to the Alliance. :pints:

If you end up not being able to find a piece or set that works for you, remember - lounging around this place are quite a few folks who might be able to build a new piece for you. Post a request here and someone will aid you. :)