DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

FCOM 1.0 or FCOM Superpack?

clancy1983

Hello I am returning to Oblivion because I need to scratch my RPG itch! For some reason as much as I Wanted to like Skyrim, I could not get into it at all. Personally I think that the better graphics and modeling actually detract from the core game that I enjoy so I am returning to Oblivion.

I previously had a clean install of FCOM .9.x not sure which version but my computer had to be wiped so I am reinstalling Oblivion after about a 1 year hiatus.

My question is should I just install the FCOM Superpack? Or is is worth it to go through the trouble of installing FCOM 1.0.

How big of an update is FCOM 1.0? I think if I go to the troube of installing FCOM 1.0 I could easily install more mods from the superpack to round it out.

Thank You!

Clancy

Edited by clancy1983

Well i can't answer that one as I haven't seen a superpack.I'm coming back after 2 years.I thought my copy of Oblivion was stolen along with my laptop and just found it.I'm seeking any BAIN wizards for the FCOM install.OOO,MMM and FCOM 1.0 don't have them.Go here and follow the links.My research the past couple of days points to these being the most up to date.

• 1 year later...

I'm in the same boat as OP regarding getting back into Oblivion modded to the gills.  I had gotten several older versions of FCOM to work, but since the installation process always seems to change, that and I forget how I did it the last times, (the bash part of the name Wrye Bash must come from the part where the user bashes their head into the wall) I'm trying the 6.42 SuperPack to see if it can save me the hassle.  I'll post here on how it goes.

I'd be interested in the results, @alpheus911. I just had a conversation yesterday where I lamented how frustrating FCOM can be to install, someone recommended one of the various installers and I was leery because I've heard very mixed things about such bundles. In particular I never bothered with the Superpack because I wasn't interested in a lot of the additional mods it throws in. And if I find myself tossing mods in and out, disagreeing with the game balance and tweaking various inis and patches, well what was the point of using the bundle in the first place.

But I would like to hear someone else's fresh experiences! If it turns out the Superpack really is a great way to save yourself the pain of the Wrye Bash Face Bash (oh yeah, I feel you on that one), great. If not, well, at least I know.

The FCOM thread on the Beth forums still has the install instructions. They may not be as comprehensive as some of the other guides, but, it should at least be enough to get you started. There used to be some seriously good guides for the FCOM install.... all of which seem to have fallen by the wayside. (I really miss TomLong, and TESCOSI.......)

I'd be interested in the results, @alpheus911. I just had a conversation yesterday where I lamented how frustrating FCOM can be to install, someone recommended one of the various installers and I was leery because I've heard very mixed things about such bundles. In particular I never bothered with the Superpack because I wasn't interested in a lot of the additional mods it throws in. And if I find myself tossing mods in and out, disagreeing with the game balance and tweaking various inis and patches, well what was the point of using the bundle in the first place.

But I would like to hear someone else's fresh experiences! If it turns out the Superpack really is a great way to save yourself the pain of the Wrye Bash Face Bash (oh yeah, I feel you on that one), great. If not, well, at least I know.

Well the SuperPack project appears to be offically dead, so 6.4.2 is the last release.  I ran it, it works fine, but it includes a whole bunch of gameplay mods. (not FCOM standard ones, or even widely known ones, just a bunch of stuff the author likes I guess)  Mods that I really didn't want, and since the installer program gives you zero options about what components to install, the only way to deactivate said unwanted components is to go back to Wrye Bash, rebuild the bashed patch, etc etc.  So why bother now since I'll have to go through most of the hassle I hoped to avoid.

An installer idea is still great idea as FCOM is somewhat of a PITA to install, especially if you don't have a lot of time to devote to it.  (and searching through the spotty documentation on how to use & understand Wrye Bash)  Double that if you want to add a bunch of other hefty mods to your game, Deadly Reflex comes to mind.  If someone makes an FCOM installer I think it absolutely must give the user options about what components to install.  If someone ever wants to make an FCOM + other popular/big/compelex mods installer I will give them a nice tip & be its hype man.  I'm sure many other people would too.  If I was rich I'd start a fully paid mega mod installer project.

I don't know how often the various components of fcom get updated any more...... and that was always the trouble before. By the time someone got a nice, scripted install for fcom, new versions came out, and it was instantly obsolete. Writing an 'adaptive' installer would be cool, but, that is WAY beyond my capabilities...... :D