DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Incorporating DLC into Mod

TripleSixes

Up until now, I have been working on my mod, and all it has required is the skyrim.esm and the update.esm. Now I wish to use assets from Dawnguard (now that I have finally purchased it). When i try to load the mod, then load the dawnguard.esm, i get a bunch of errors, "missing strings", and such. Then it either crashes the CK or hangs at 89% loaded for the update.esm. Am i going about this wrong? Should I just pull the asset from my folder and use the asset in my mod separately? Seems like alot of trouble...

You don't need to pull the mesh into your folders, just create a new object ID for it in your mod and point the filepath to its Dawnguard file location. That will make your mod dependent on DG without needing to load the DG ESP itself or fill your folders with assets which should not be redistributed that way. :good:

In order to use (and thus make dependant) DLC assets in your mod you first need to adjust the skyrimeditor.ini located in your Skyrim folder.

At the bottom of the [General] section change this line;

to: bAllowMultipleEditors=1

This will, as it says, allow you to load Skyrim.esm, Update.esm and any of the DLC esm's at the same time.

Also, further down in the ini file you need to add the bsa's to the resources list. At the bottom of the [Archive] section change this line;

from: SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa

to: SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa

This will allow the resources to be used, and eliminate those string file errors. If/when you want to use other DLC's you can also add Dragonborn.bsa and Hearthfires.bsa to that line.

Now just open the CK, make your mod the active file, and have skyrim.esm, update.esm and dawnguard.esm all ticked and use the assets to your hearts content.

• Upvote 1

I went with Hana's suggestion, had no difficulties making the changes; however...

Editor Errors:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assertion:

Assert

File: C:\_Skyrim\Code\TESV\TES Shared\misc\BGSLocalizedString.cpp

Line: 2871
LOCALIZATION: Error opening or reading strings file.
Abort--Retry--Ignore (Ignored)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning:

MASTERFILE: LOCALIZATION: Zero entries or empty block size read from strings file STRINGS/Dawnguard_ENGLISH.STRINGS. Strings will be missing.
"Yes to all" will disable all Warnings for this context.
Yes--No--Yes to all (Yes to all taken)
The load stagnates at 98% for Update.esm still.