DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Travel between two points.

Ithlia

I want to set up travel between two row boats and just between the two boats. I don't want the boats to show up on the map as travel markers. I've looked at the row boats used by Dwanguard and that one uses a script. Is there an easier way to do this? 

I am not sure if I understand you right, and on the other hand I don't have Dawnguard so I don't know what you refer to. But if you simply want to enter one boat and come out on the other: Why not make doors out of the boats and link them? I did this with two rowboats, one in front of my house, the other in a mod-worldspace.

I use a Bat (batch file) that I have placed in ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\(Bat filename) as my preferred method. Of course, that requires using the console but doing "~ > Bat XYZ > [Enter] > " ~ " is a fast enough sequence that I don't mine it. Here are a few examples, my "Dragon Bridge Jump Bat is: J-DB.txt and has " Player.moveto 19A29 " as the total Notepad entry. where "19A29" is the Ref ID of the bartender. A-Lyd.txt is "Player.MoveTo A2C94" and will place you at Lydia's location, while, H-B.txt "Player.MoveTo 39655" moves me to my house in Whiterun - Breezehome. This last would possible serve for your boats. I use a named NPC that is dead, in this case. In most games, I use Arvel the Swift 39655 as he normally is the 1st named NPC I have to kill. Once I have title to Breezehome, I locate my Player at the location that I wish to arrive, in the house, then "~ > Prid 39655 > [Enter] > Moveto player > Enable > [Enter] > " ~ ". There is a thud, and Arvel the Swift falls at the player's feet. You could just leave it at that, but I prefer to 'disable' the body, which is, of course require the one time execution of "~ > (then click on Arvel the Swift body to get his Ref ID on the screen and type) Disable > [Enter] > " ~ "

p.s. A fringe benefit of this method is that you can Jump from any location, even from the depths of a cave, or the mouth of a dragon :)

\Ron

Edited by RonRay33

Linking the row boats the way you just said is exactly what I want to do, except neither one is in a mod world space.  I thought about doing the doors and then I thought " naaa Can't be that easy" heh  but I'll give that a try.  Thanks.

Nope, using doors didn't work. Thanks though Tamira. The doors seem to want to travel from inside to outside, not outside to outside... I hope that made sense.

I have two rowboats set up on either side of a river.  I want to be be able to click on one and travel to the other. I don't really want them to show up as fast travel markers on the world map. I do know how to do that but having a travel marker on the map makes having the rowboats rather pointless and my house already has a map marker. The reason I want the boats is because I try not to use fast travel as much as possible. I want to walk down the road and take a rowboat over to where my house is.  I know this is still fast travel but I want the boats to basically work like the carriage.

I'm sorry RonRay, I really didn't understand your suggestion.  I've been building houses for a while now but I've only just started to learn scripting and all those other dark secret inner workings of the game.

Edit: for some reason I keep thinking this should be fairly easy to do and for the life of me I haven't a clue how to do it.  I'm seriously considering a bridge.  lol

Edited by Ithlia

I tested it, and it works.

Give your boat-door references unique IDs, then go to Teleport, choose the cell where you added them, if you can see both in your render window, you simply can click on "select reference in render window", if not, you will see any door references in the chosen cell and can click on it.

I add my tiny test.esp, I placed the two boats just between Riverwood and Riverwood Bridge, you cannot miss them there.

I cannot add files to this post, so I send it to you in a PM

Nope, using doors didn't work. Thanks though Tamira. The doors seem to want to travel from inside to outside, not outside to outside... I hope that made sense.

You will have to be a bit more descriptive then that.

Load doors DO work from exterior to exterior, as can be proven via the exterior enterances into Blackreach. It is technically an exterior, so using doors for exterior to exterior does indeed work.

Doors will work, but they will show up on the local map. That is why Dawnguard used a script instead.

Scripting really is not that hard, its just scary when you don't know where to start. I created a very easy to follow beginners scripting tutorial which you might want to take a look at should you wish to go the scripting route.

Check it out here -->http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4697-class-1-start-here-for-basics/

Yes the doors do work, I had set it up incorrectly. I now have it working as Tamira suggested but I don't really want the boats to say Open Skyrim when used. It was rather amusing watching my follower race back and forth across the bridge trying to catch up to me when using Tamira's example esp.

So I am going to have to use a script to get it working the way I want. It will take me a while to figure it all out but I think I will get it, eventually. I know scripting isn't suppose to be difficult but I find it incredibly confusing. We all have our strengths and lines of code isn't one of mine.  heh  Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Ithlia

Okies... we have it. Activator + Script + X markers = travel to the other rowboat. Nope, I didn't learn to script in the last two hours, I wish, I found a script and adapted it. The event is a little abrupt as there is no loading screen, just boom your there, and it doesn't work for followers (it is a good thing Skyrim chickens don't drown!). That is the next problem to solve. Followers following, not drowning chickens.

@ Tamira You have a talent with textures and converting meshes and those sorts of wonderful things. That is something I will never be friends with.  As I said we all have our strengths.  :-)

Edited by Ithlia

You can't change the 'open' on the door.

But if you use a script with an 'Activator', then you can name it what-ever you like. You can also change the 'Activate' to something else, by entering text into the entry box for 'Activate Text Override:'.

So you enter 'Ride boat to' in that box, and give the activator the name of 'Home island'.

You will see 'Ride boat to Home island' when you go to activate the boat. Another good reason to use activators and scripts. :)