DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Thieves Guild Hard Answers Quest CTD

l0new0lf331

Hello all!

Well I'm currently playing the Thieves Guild questline and during the Hard Answers quest I get a constant CTD in Calcelmos Laboratory and even in the Understone Keep.While searching for answers I found this which I will try now.....

"SOLUTION:

I had the same problem when I have the Hard Answer Quest. Whenever I enter the Understone Keep the game went CTD. I tried this trick and it worked for me. First i went to the Hall of the Dead and before I enter the door to the Understone Keep I activated WAIT (pressing T) for 24 hours and I enter, and it worked.. hope this helps"

Taken from the Skyrim UESP pages.It calls for a COC to the Hall of the Dead in order to do.

But I am wondering if there is a patch being made/looked into for this.It breaks immersion to coc anywhere(even fast travel does to me).

It seems that Markarth in general is very buggy and Understone Keep as well.Any solutions available?

I just went through Hard Answers myself and everything was fine in the lab and Understone Keep.

A random CTD is difficult to track down. It could be a mesh issue or NPC/AI issue or any number of other issues. Are you running any mods?

My only suggestion would be to verify your game cache through Steam. Could be file corruption somewhere.

Mods are the typical reason for CTD's in the game. A heavily modded game can cause more CTD's unless you adjust your load orders to avoid conflicts.

And make sure you have updated your games to the latest patches from steam. There have been several fixes to the game that fixes many of the original CTD issues we would get from the vanilla game. And Markarth was rather buggy from the start.

From day 1, I have never had a 'consistent CTD' in any area of the game. But I also play an almost vanilla game.

Edited by WillieSea

I already updated to 1.9.32 and I have the latest USKP,UDGP,UDBP,UHFP patches as well.Already verified cache.I played through before with the mods I have installed with no problem (though I didn't do the Thieves Guild quests).On this play through I decided to play as a sneaky thief/assassin and started out with the Thieves Guild first.On previous playthroughs Markarth was always a toss of the dice as to whether or not I would experience a CTD there.It wasn't a high percentage but always lurking.I read a number of different posts on the subject and apparently not everybody experiences it (like the crossbow problem with Dawnguard,I never had the problem but a friend of mine did).I always run BOSS and even clean the dirty mods that BOSS calls for with TESVEdit.I only have 98 mods in with 97 active,that's not heavy.I also make sure not to run too many mods with scripts in them since that causes alot of problems.Always I get the CTD either in Understone Keep or Calcemos Laboratory.I found some references to the phenomenon but no real solution yet.

My mod list

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  Dawnguard.esm
03  HearthFires.esm
04  Dragonborn.esm
05  RaceCompatibility.esm
06  Skyrim Project Optimization.esm
07  Skyrim Project Optimization - Dawnguard.esm
08  Skyrim Project Optimization - Dragonborn.esm
09  AemersRefuge.esm
0A  CraftSketching.esm
0B  JSwords.esm
0C  Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
0D  SPIKE.esm
0E  Brawl Bugs CE.esp
0F  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 1.3.1a]
10  Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp  [Version 1.2.1]
11  Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.0]
12  Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.3]
13  Better Dynamic Snow.esp
14  StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
15  CCGuides.esp
16  CCScrolls.esp
17  CCStaff.esp
18  CCPortableTools.esp
19  CCLevelImprove.esp
1A  CCUniqueItems.esp
1B  CCMaterialsandPerks.esp
1C  CCTailoring.esp
1D  CCMainFile.esp
1E  Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - RLO.esp
1F  PilgrimsDelight.esp
20  Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and Booze.esp
21  Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
22  Footprints.esp
23  Mart's Savegame DeBloatifier.esp  [Version 1.4Beta]
24  WetandCold.esp
25  WetandCold - Ashes.esp
26  SkyUI.esp
27  iHUD.esp
28  LessIntrusiveHUD.esp
29  aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
2A  Black Mage Armor.esp
2B  BlackSacramentArmor.esp
2C  BlackSacramentDBReplacer.esp
2D  BloodWitchArmor.esp
2E  Cloaks.esp
2F  DaggerCraft.esp
30  DreamBurrowsRegalAssassin.esp
31  hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
32  JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp
33  Nicoroshi Creations.esp  [Version 1.2]
34  TERAArmors_CBBE.esp
35  Unique Uniques.esp  [Version 1.3]
36  ERSO 03 - Mighty Dragons.esp
37  ERSO 03.1a - Dawnguard patch.esp
38  ERSO 03.1b - Mighty Dragonborn Addon.esp
39  ERSO 04 - Mighty Odahviing.esp
3A  ERSO 04.2 - Mighty Durnehviir.esp
3B  ERSO 05 - Dovah Holy Book.esp
3C  ERSO 06 - Wait More Time Dragon Encounter x2.0.esp
3D  ERSO 07 - Mighty Dragon Priests.esp
3E  buildablehouse.esp
3F  flaho_shi_eagles_nest_ENG.esp  [Version 1.05]
40  Babette.esp
41  Headtracking.esp
42  Immersive Weapons.esp
43  Lyn_RealArrows_FasterArrows.esp
44  Lyn_RealArrows_NoArrowTrails.esp
45  Lyn_RealArrows_NoArrowHitStereoEffect.esp
46  SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp
47  Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Illuminated Spells.esp
48  Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp
49  Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities & Town Interiors.esp
4A  Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp
4B  Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
4C  Balanced_Magic.esp
4D  Balanced_Magic_Dawnguard.esp
4E  MidasSkyrim.esp
4F  BFSEffects.esp
50  Teleport.esp
51  The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
52  ABT - Loot Arrows HARDCORE.esp
53  ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +50%.esp
54  ABT - Faster Bolts Improved +50%.esp
55  ABT - Increased Bolts Damage (BS and CCO) +50%.esp
56  ABT - Increased Progressive Damage (BS and CCO) +50%.esp
57  ABT - Recover +25% Arrows and Bolts.esp
58  TheEyesOfBeauty.esp  [Version 8]
59  LunariRace.esp
5A  CerwidenCompanion.esp
5B  AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
5C  ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp
5D  Purewaters.esp
5E  PurewatersDG.esp
5F  PurewatersDB.esp
++  UPR V1.esp
60  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Edited by l0new0lf331

USKP,UDGP,UDBP,UHFP - I don't use these, what-ever they are. 'Patches' always create conflicts and possible problems since they modify so many vanilla objects.

Not all mods should be 'cleaned' of vanilla edits. It can cause problems unless you are cleaning what you know is a dirty edit.

Well, 98 mods is heavy. I have around 6 mods (all my own creation) and the DLC and experience few CTD's, and never a consistent one in one spot. I have played through the Thieves guild quests many times with no problems.

Have you installed any mods that change animations or game effects? Perhaps an HD water mod?

Yes, 98 mods is heavy. Skyrim is very different from Oblivion modding and much more fragile. The more you add, the easier it could break.

Now you should go through the usual troubleshooting methods to figure out if a mod is causing conflicts. The first thing you should do is enable papyrus logging and check the log for any obvious signs that could lead to issues.

Go to UserName\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim folder. Backup your Skyrim.ini first. Under the [Papyrus] section add these 3 lines,

bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

If "[Papyrus]" doesn't exist you can add it at the bottom. Play your game for about 5 mins, preferably in the troublesome area. This will create a new folder under UserName\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim called Logs. In that folder will be another folder called Script. In there should be created a file called Papyrus.0.log. Open that in a program like Notepad++ (to retain formatting) and copy/paste here (in spoiler tags!)

Or you could skip straight to disabling all your mods and starting a new character to see how that area reacts. Do not use your existing character to test, you have garbage in your save file. Add a few mods at a time until you can narrow down the culprit.

Good luck.

Well I got through it.The only thing I did different was to not go kill Nimhe the spider to get the museum key and instead took it from the pedestal next to Calcemo.It recieves a quest marker so I could've been breaking a script by getting the key the other way.But I will try it with the old save and do it by getting the key from Calcemo and killing the spider.I've enabled the bug report so we'll see if that's what the problem was.