DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Actors Not Following Me Through Loading Screens

Reblonk

Hey there. Lately I've been adding some fixes to an existing mod and my current project is trying to fix a summoned skeleton that sometimes breaks when travelling through loading screens. Newly summoned skeletons seem to do it flawlessly, but over time they eventually break and get stuck in the previous cell until you go back for them. However, although they will refuse to go through one particular door, other doors will work fine. It seems to be completely random.

The script to summon the skeleton runs through a few conditions before running the line

Actor newSkeleton = t.placeatme(aSkeleton, 1) as actor 

This is working fine. The skeleton gets summoned and applies an AI package with the following attributes (no flags, conditions, etc...).

a9KWmK2.jpg

I'm pretty stuck. Help :(

Edited by Reblonk

Hmm, is it always the same kind of door? Always an int->Ext or Ext->Int, or locked doors? or Int->Int? Did you wander off the navmesh first?

how long does it usually take for this to start happening? How far away from the skele are you at the time?

Does waiting an hour bring him/her back?

Do you have other mods enabled?

I know with regular followers they won't follow me if I go off the navmesh. And with the currant set of mods I have they don't teleport back to me upon entering dungeons and the like.

(How do you tell the sex of a skele? do they care?)

A possible solution would be to attach a script that checked if the skele was in the same cell as you and if not to teleport to you. Or make it so it kills the last one upon exiting a cell and then re summons a new one on the other side.

Don't know ho much help all that is but I hope you can fix it! :yes:

If NPC's are not following you through load doors, you need to make sure the navmesh under each door marker is green. You get that color when you finalize the navmesh in the cell the load door is in. Without that, NPC's have no idea how to find you.

You also need to use a 'clean save game' that has NEVER had your mod enabled when the save game was created.

Edited by WillieSea

If NPC's are not following you through load doors, you need to make sure the navmesh under each door marker is green. You get that color when you finalize the navmesh in the cell the load door is in. Without that, NPC's have no idea how to find you.

You also need to use a 'clean save game' that has NEVER had your mod enabled when the save game was created.

Recently it's happened at the College of Winterhold while trying to go into the doorhatch into the midden. Another example is when just going through the front door into the area where the Eye of Magnus is held. Both of those doors have previously worked, but eventually break. In the case of both of them, it was when reloading a save. Taking the door into the area where everyone at the college sleeps still worked.

That's the problem. It's completely random. And I'm not creating my own cells/rooms, this is a problem that happens in the base game and I can't figure out for the life of me why.

Edit: I should add that it's only the skeletons. Reanimated followers and NPC followers (Lydia, Cicero, etc.) all work fine.

Edited by Reblonk

Hmm, is it always the same kind of door? Always an int->Ext or Ext->Int, or locked doors? or Int->Int? Did you wander off the navmesh first?

how long does it usually take for this to start happening? How far away from the skele are you at the time?

Does waiting an hour bring him/her back?

Do you have other mods enabled?

I know with regular followers they won't follow me if I go off the navmesh. And with the currant set of mods I have they don't teleport back to me upon entering dungeons and the like.

(How do you tell the sex of a skele? do they care?)

A possible solution would be to attach a script that checked if the skele was in the same cell as you and if not to teleport to you. Or make it so it kills the last one upon exiting a cell and then re summons a new one on the other side.

Don't know ho much help all that is but I hope you can fix it! :yes:

There actually is already a minion summoner that catalogs all of your summons in FormList and teleports them to your location upon activation. It successfully brings reanimated bodies to you but does not successfully bring skeletons to you. If you're in the same cell as a skeleton it will teleport to you. Otherwise, it will not. It leads me to believe it just can't locate the actor itself for whatever reason unless it's in the same cell as you.

When you load a save game, while you already have a save game loaded, bad things always happen to your game. I seriously do not recommend you do that at all. (Same with if you get killed.)

What you need to do is either exit the game, or at the minimum, exit to the 'Main Menu' and then load your game. The game will be much more stable doing this.

When you load a save game, while you already have a save game loaded, bad things always happen to your game. I seriously do not recommend you do that at all. (Same with if you get killed.)

What you need to do is either exit the game, or at the minimum, exit to the 'Main Menu' and then load your game. The game will be much more stable doing this.

Sry in advance if I'm hijacking this thread, but that's because the game uses some scripts from the last save right? The same reason you can save, attack an NPC merchant, reload the old save and have their inventory reset? So a  follow script in the game for the skele isn't changing it's value/output and not releasing it isn't do what is supposed to do?

Edited by Walrus

Its not just scripts. A lot of things do not get reset correctly and it especially messes up the navmesh. I first noticed this in FO3. Its not as bad in Skyrim but it still have problems.

Ah so it's just something I have to live with? Bummer