DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[RELz/WiP] To Quest or Not To Quest - opinions!!! Skyrim

Leianne

I've created a house mod - not a big deal.  However, I've added a 'special' room addition that is going to give you some personal family history - geared to whatever race you happen to be ... now the question is:

You already have the house mod/master - you download the addition mod ... would you want to do a quest to receive access to this room?  Bear in mind, that if you change your character race, you would have to RE-DO this same singular quest to gain access to the room again.

Do many users change their character race over their gameplay period?  Would this be a chore for the player after a while?  The quest would begin by your relative (dead) asking for assistance in locating an item that would 'unlock' the room addition - it would be easy for the player to simply have the room accessible immediately upon installing the mod, and then maintain their interest in the racial uniqueness (changing with the change in your race) and the basic functionality of the room itself.

Two things, I don't change my character often - but would like a family history geared to whatever race I choose to be (so I'm not bored)

and Second, I don't want to have to jump hoops / complete quests EVERY time  I decide to try out another race.

Just not sure how the majority of you feel ... or the majority of users feel :)

Would love some feedback or general consensus on how players/modders feel about 'forced' quests to get something they could?/should? have without hassle.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/comments

Leianne

• Upvote 1

I don't know about most players, but I never change my character in game play.. When I want a new character I start a new game, so having to do the quest over again in a new game would be an expected action and I wouldn't personally have a problem with it. My only question would be how would you tailor your special room to custom races? How would you generate a family history on a race that is not a standard one in the game? 

For custom races (because I don't know what they are) I'm just using a default humanoid race (breton/imperial/nord).  If I knew what the races were I could add them, but am providing the 10 basic races Skyrim comes with.  I'm not out to please everyone with this mod - just mostly myself <grin> .. and when I start a new game/character/race it would be nice to have the room slightly adjust for me to relate to it :)

There are single quests that I avoid once I've done them when I start a new character - just cause it would be boring ... so I'm thinking this will be added without a quest, but with the addition of the ghost making the room accessible.  Then it'll go with getting the house as well.

Hmm that's a good idea!  I can run my script regularly - and if the racial variable doesn't fill with one of the vanilla races, I could prompt the user to choose a race closest to them based on the vanilla types ... would work! :)  Great idea! 

I have never seen a house like that and I have seen a lot I can tell you ^^. I nearly test out every house that is realeased and that's worth a look and on weekend I am searching again through old ones that I already know and try them again XD.

So I can tell you that this will be a really unique feature of your house. I have never seen it.

I can also only tell it from my view, but I never change the race during the game. If I want another race, I just start a new game.

Good luck with the home and I am looking forward to see it and try it out. 

Curious if you done it very detailed or more empty like some also do ^^.

Well I wouldn't get too excited if I were you Nahkin - it's a very simple house with very simple / subtle differences ... I tried making the 'room addition' VERY race oriented (swampy/vines/water etc for Argonians) and I didn't like the massive changes ... it worked well though :)  But no, keeping it a simple house, with a simple room - just focusing on family history / based on players race.

whoo hoo ... it's working well :)  on my trigger that gets the players race, if the player has chosen a custom race, it now pops up a  menu for him/her to choose which race matches/fits their custom race - three categories first, human - elven - creature with subcategories after that choosing 'creature' will give you another menu of argonian - khajiit - vampire - werewolf :) then I prompt the user for confirmation and they can go back to the main menu at any time ... works terrific!

Thanks muchly for the suggestion Arion :)  I do have to provide two new 'racial adjustments' to the room though - never thought of vampires / werewolves :)