DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Trouble With Unofficial Skyrim Patches

TheOrderOfMan

I'm trying to download the Unofficial Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn, and High Resolution Patches, but am having some trouble. When I download the mods ithey won't appear listed in the data files on the Skyrim start menu, and therefore I assume they aren't properly installed. This is my first time trying to install a mod on a game, so feel free to assume I made an incredibly obvious/stupid mistake. Thanks for any help offered.

Well to each their own.. I install all my mods manually...

Download the files and then follow the instructions below for each file that you want to install

Uncompress the files into a temp directory.

READ the Readme File and follow special directions if there are multiple options

View file structure for future reference in uninstalling

Copy esp/esm files to DATA folder

Copy Meshes and Textures folders to DATA and over write if necessary

Use BOSS to sort load order

Start game and put check mark in front of esp file so it loads.

If you want to uninstall read the README file for uninstall instructions (special cases)

Refer back to original temp folder for file stucture and delete matching file(s) folders(s) in data directory

Additional Info

I do like Willie suggests below... I only keep the temp folder long enough in case I have trouble after I install. I keep all my compressed files for my games sorted by game on another disk.

Edited by Arion

My two cents on the matter:

Like what Arion said, but I do not use a temp folder with uncompressed files in it. If I want to uninstall, I look in the compressed file again so I know what files to remove. Just keeping the compressed files takes a lot less space. And I have a folder on my computer for all of my downloaded Skyrim mods so they are easy to find. (I do not recommend downloading and saving them to your desktop.)

If you do your homework on a mod first, to make sure its really something you want in your game, then you should never have to uninstall a mod. If you haphazardly install any old mod that hits your fancy, then expect problems and possibly reinstalling the game in the future.