DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Room Marker / Room Bounds cause Objects to flicker/vanish

Rhian

Greetings,

I am currently working on a Mod which slowly grows in size, cell by cell.

My current cell is an interior - a tavern area done with DLC2 Dwemer (Skyrim Mod) Walls and Floor.

It's a rather "large" area with aout 20 NPCs, 6 (Room 7 connects to the kitchen) Rooms connected to an L-Shaped corridor.

The NPCs wander (sandbox idles) between certain rooms - eating, sleeping, going about their business.

I was very careful with the use of lights and do most of it by ambience cell lighting. I believe I use overall 6 lights for the whole zone. And only two of them are with shadows and they are faaar apart.

Well, and then all the objects you require to make the rooms look comfy and nice. Food,Furniture, Idle Marker and so on.

I have placed a couple of Banner (genericbanner with my own texture) and use some resources from here.

I tried to optimize the performance with those roombounds. Did everything like shown in a youtube video.

It more or less worked - but had nasty side-effects I cannot explain why they happen.

Walls flicker and vanish, when you walk past them or look at them from a particular angle.

That even happens outside the room I wanted to wrap into a room-bound.

Banner inside the room vanish when you walk toward them or look from a certain angle. Or they flicker in and out.

Which I do not understand. The banner do not even touch the room-bound box. Even the "collision" box doesn't touch the room-bound-box.

So what am I doing wrong?

I checked the walls, if they intersect somewhere with other outside-walls. Nope. All clean.

I read somewhere in the CK Wiki that this also could be a bug... and that I can test it by turning off this or that... but well, cannot find what they are mentioning there.

I run a 12 GB RAM, Intel HexaCore 3,3 GHz, NVidea 480 GTX machine. (doing additionally 3D stuff and graphics)

For myself I do not experience any lagg when walking through the zone without the room-bounds.

But I know not everyone has a big machine at home.... and therefore would love to get those room-bounds working.

Edited by Rhian

Don't mistake me for an expert, since I'm working on my very first mod. But I've only had such things happen to me when the bound is clipping a wall somewhere and/or the portals do not cover enough area. Those blasted portals can be a real pain, particularly if the bounds do not connect up just exactly perfectly, down to the millimeter. Placing the portal will actually change the position of the roombound slightly, causing it to become misaligned somewhere else. Then you turn around and see that the beautiful join you sweated on an hour ago is now trashed.

How many roombounds are you using? As I understand it, too many actually hurts performance, as well as making it hard to keep them all in alignment.  I have also had some luck with one very odd-shaped cell by using just one roombound, but putting in a couple of occlusion planes in strategic places behind the walls.

• Upvote 1

Don't mistake me for an expert, since I'm working on my very first mod. But I've only had such things happen to me when the bound is clipping a wall somewhere and/or the portals do not cover enough area. Those blasted portals can be a real pain, particularly if the bounds do not connect up just exactly perfectly, down to the millimeter. Placing the portal will actually change the position of the roombound slightly, causing it to become misaligned somewhere else. Then you turn around and see that the beautiful join you sweated on an hour ago is now trashed.

How many roombounds are you using? As I understand it, too many actually hurts performance, as well as making it hard to keep them all in alignment.  I have also had some luck with one very odd-shaped cell by using just one roombound, but putting in a couple of occlusion planes in strategic places behind the walls.

I am using room-bounds only on 3 rooms out of the 7 existing rooms.

They are not even really close to each other.

http://sta.sh/0a0igejzhn0 <--- the red is just a marking which rooms I had wrapped in room-bounds. (and yes, I made certain that the light radius thingies were inside the room-bound - and that none of them clips with another room...)

The portal was placed so that you could look from the corridor or stairs/ramp inside those rooms. It worked so far - so the room and items was in there. Just some stuff like one or two walls flicker/vanish and the banner are gone in Game.

Edited by Rhian

Hmmm. I'm not sure you're supposed to have some areas in room bounds and some not. That may be your problem. If you have a portal from one roombound into the area without a roombound, you have no way to make the reverse link that I can figure out, because the links work from center to center of two roombounds. If you're going to use roombounds at all, I think you need to box in everything, one way or another.

I would try an L-shaped bound down the center, by making two bounds that are joined as one, so you don't need a huge portal in the middle of the big corridor. Extend the bound on the upper left so it touches the L-bound at the entry to the little hall, putting a portal there. Make the bound on the right touch the center bound somewhere in the middle of the small hall there, and put another portal at that spot. The big room on the lower left should also touch the center, with a portal or portals in whatever doorways there are into the long hall.

Just a guess, but I think that will solve your problem. I would bet the game engine is getting confused as you wander between bounded and unbounded areas.

• Upvote 1