DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Fixing paths for better packaging

BrettM

So yours truly, clueless newbie modder that he is, suddenly realized that he started off on the wrong foot in setting up his directories, especially after reading Hana's packaging tutorial. The question is, can it be fixed without a great deal of pain?

I did start off by placing my meshes under an umbrella FuzzyPhysics directory, which was automatic for me as an experienced PC user and programmer. So I'm good there. There is a reasonably-organized structure of subdirectories (Clutter, GalleryArchitecture, etc.), so I think I'm good there.

The problem is that I was not thinking beyond my needs for this one mod. I never envisioned the possibility of others, or of a resource pack release, that would have to be kept separate from the Gallery items. What I really need to do is to move almost all of the existing subdirectories down one level, under, say /FuzzyPhysics/FPIGallery/.

For an ordinary mod, I would probably just grit my teeth and painfully go through and change the paths one-by-one in the CK. That is simply not practical here, and I am guaranteed to make mistakes going through around 800 meshes, many of which are used multiple times with different texture sets applied. We're talking 1,761 static items on display, plus clutter, plus architectural pieces. Probably somewhere well north of 2,500 forms to change.

What puts the spoiled frosting on the cake is that the CK strips assigned texture sets when I move a mesh to another folder, even though its the same blasted mesh, and it would be a nightmare to be sure all of those were fixed up after such a massive move.

So, is there a relatively-painless way to do a global search-and-replace on the paths I want to change? If so, will it work without stripping the texture sets?

If not, what's my best packaging solution? Write off the FuzzyPhysics umbrella as devoted to one mod and use another umbrella for all future work?

Edited by BrettM