DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Getting rid of alternates in Sound Descriptors

vaultguy

In Sound Descriptors there's a setting called Alternate, which assigns a substitute sound to be pre-loaded into memory before it loads up the actual sounds for the situation. This is why you sometimes hear the generic looting sound for potions instead of always hearing the potion looting sounds, for example.

The odd thing about this setting is that you don't simply choose an alternate from a list in the sound descriptor you want affected by this... it's vice versa. You go to the substitute sound, and then assign it as an alternate from there to the other sound. Now we get to the problem here when I want to simply get rid of the alternate for some sounds, but I can't find any way to do it.

Right now I'm using a very convoluted workaround where I just create a new Sound Descriptor with the same sound, and assign it as an alternate to its twin. This is actually preferable in some situations where a Descriptor uses multiple sound variants, and you can just use one of them for the alternate to save up some memory. But I don't feel the need to do this for absolutely everything.