DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Wrye Bash questions - mod ordering & BAIN installers

alpheus911

I have some Wrye Bash questions some kind soul out here may be able to help with:

I've got the basics of using BAIN (aka Bash Installers) semi down, but I don't understand how to load ordering works.  There's an ordering to the installers in the installers tab, and then again another load ordering in the mods tab.  How do they relate?  The installed BAINs show up in the mod tab right?  If I change the loading order in the mods tab does it update the load order in the installers tab? (and vice versa?)

If I have a load order set up in OBMM, how does that play with the ordering set up in Wrye Bash's mods & installers tab?  I ask because while I'd rather forget OBMM exists, (I don't need to use two programs that can do the same thing!) some big mods I want to use have OBMM packages setup, but are buku trouble if I want to try to make a BAIN package for.

How about when I make a bashed patch - once I make a bashed patch comprised of mods x, y & z, is there any reason I need to keep x.esp, y.esp & z.esp around in the data folder or should I just then pull them out of there?  Will Wrye Bash tag any esp's that have been merged into a bashed patch as such, so I know I can junk them?

I have some Wrye Bash questions some kind soul out here may be able to help with:

I've got the basics of using BAIN (aka Bash Installers) semi down, but I don't understand how to load ordering works.  There's an ordering to the installers in the installers tab, and then again another load ordering in the mods tab.  How do they relate?  The installed BAINs show up in the mod tab right?  If I change the loading order in the mods tab does it update the load order in the installers tab? (and vice versa?)

There are two different things here - an Install order in the Installers tab and a Load order that BOSS/LOOT produces for you in the Mods tab. The orders can be, but are not the same thing. You can move mods around in either tab without affecting the other tab.

In the Mods tab, load order is important when you understand the Rule of One - last mod installed wins, in terms of if both mods change the same record in the game. Let BOSS or LOOT handle this.

In the Installers tab, install order is important for almost the same reason but for assets (mesh and texture replacers) in the game. This little guide can help you with Install order.

If I have a load order set up in OBMM, how does that play with the ordering set up in Wrye Bash's mods & installers tab?  I ask because while I'd rather forget OBMM exists, (I don't need to use two programs that can do the same thing!) some big mods I want to use have OBMM packages setup, but are buku trouble if I want to try to make a BAIN package for.

Using both is fine. Once you install a mod with OBMM, you'll see it in the Mods tab of Bash.

How about when I make a bashed patch - once I make a bashed patch comprised of mods x, y & z, is there any reason I need to keep x.esp, y.esp & z.esp around in the data folder or should I just then pull them out of there?  Will Wrye Bash tag any esp's that have been merged into a bashed patch as such, so I know I can junk them?

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of a bashed patch. A bashed patch merges records. If a mod is only changing records it can most likely be bashed, however, this does not mean you can remove the mod. It just means Bash will virtually "deactivate" the mod, thus saving a mod slot that counts towards the mod limit. The mod must remain in your Data folder! Some mods have records that can be merged as well as other records that cannot. These types of mods require the mod to remain active.

For more information, try this excellent guide.

Thanks, that makes things clearer.  Another thing causing me some confusion: when I run a BAIN installer package I still need to check the esp (if applicable) in the mods tab to active the mod, right?  That is, BAIN doesn't do anything beyond just installing & tracking the resource files, right?