DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Incorrect CKM corrupted mod file error.

Issue: Launching Skyrim via STEAM yields, 'ckm error, packed file larger than mod, might be corrupted'.  The launcher quits examining / loading files on the load list after the error and sometimes crashes.

Observation:  This isn't true.

I play Skyrim vanilla and mostly have no other data file load order program installed like Wrye Bash.  NMM is installed but since lousy Vortex took over I haven't messed with NMM.

I am not uninstalling 5 mods it decides it doesn't like, I want to find the correct loadlist for observation/troubleshooting.

It doesn't matter what mods it complains are corrupted, in my case 5 mods.  I can play them just fine.

With help from TESA folks, I found the %appdata%\..\local\skyrim files that look like they control loading order.

1. Plugins.txt
  2. SteamModList.txt
  3. DLCList.txt

*loadorder.txt* is NOT in this folder as https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/583662-important-load-order-and-you/   would have you believe.

I renamed the SKYRIM folder to SKYRIM.org and launched the STEAM Skyrim game and it is STILL loading 49 items.

I don't have Wrye bash or other load programs so where is the Skyrim launcher getting the load list from?

Edited by Ashenfire

Good idea.

Yet, I don't know how to answer that.  It most likely is no, since downloaded games include a .ckm inside newly subscribed items (.ckm is a steam and Creationkit item).

Reddit, nexus, Wryebash, and other searched content do not suggest anything about it.

Edited by Ashenfire

I can find all of two similar topics, one dealing with sounds of Skyrim..... Are you running windows 10 by any chance? I have noticed that it will occasionally mis-report directory size..... just seems to skip counting some files. No idea why.....

Its not particularly sounds of Skryim (that is why I didn't list my mods having the issue).   It is some stupid random thing.  

Anyways I deleted ugc folder where ALL ckm files are, resubscribed, and am checking results.

Yes, I unfortunately am on Windows 10.

My confusion is that after I deleted all .ckm and even deleted the    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Skyrim folder (it contains plugins.txt, dlclist.txt, SteamModlist.txt)   and the launcher is still finding my list of mods.

Edited by Ashenfire

• 1 month later...

I suggest that you scrap everything and start over with only USLEEP/USSEP and one mod.  Don't forget to manually delete every Skyrim related files.

Also, this time don't use Vortex or NMM and only use Wrye Bash, just to see if there something wrong with Steam.

If something is wrong with Steam then reinstall Steam and all games you previously had installed before reinstalling Steam.

USLEEP/USSEP?

I was okay with starting over, which I did.

I don't like vortex yet, and since I have been troubleshooting, I have installed Steam from scratch.

I haven't even bothered with NMM while troubleshooting, so I am already doing a bare bone install.

From what I read, and the fact I reinstalled Steam, it most likely isn't that.

There is a way to make the game 'refresh'/ repackage .bsa or I have to do it myself.