DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Hello All

Vince

Hi!  I'm Vince.  I'm a modeler mostly.  I've created a few house mods including the first exterior (inside-out) house, Top of the World.  I also wrote a 3-part tutorial on 3D modeling using Wings3D.  My mods are posted at TES Nexus and ORE.

Right now I'm completing a rather unusual mod, the Abandoned Mountain Shack.  The idea is, well, the shack is abandoned.  So, it's overgrown with weeds and vines.  Inside all the candles, lamps, stoves, and fireplace burned out long ago.  There are spider webs all over.  The windows are so dirty you can hardly see out, there's a big hole in the floor--well, you get the idea.  So, anyone can claim the shack, but they will need to fix it up to live there.  All the tools and resources needed are in the shack or nearby.  For example, the lamp hanging over the dining table is burned out.  So, you need to find some lamp fuel and put it in the lamp.

The house and all the insides are complete.  I'm making the vines now.  Since each vine follows the contours of the shack, porch, or privy, etc., each one has to be created from scratch--a bit tedious.

I know a bit about modeling, texturing, and non-quest scripts and will help out if I can.  I mostly model with Blender, gmax, and Modo and do most texturing with Paint.Net, DXTBmp, and Nvidia's Texture Tools 2.

Do you do requests for models? LOL, just asking!
Not usually.  It turns out that I've spent most of the last year creating inside-out or "exterior" homes that will never be distributed.  The problem is, exterior houses (where the "inside" is actually part of the exterior cell) are very hard to create that have an acceptable FPS with a modest video card.  The problem is the video processor has to process all the external stuff (the exterior of the house, trees, grass, rocks, lakes, deer, etc.) plus the interior of the house and all the lights and clutter in it.  'Bottom line, most of the last year hasn't been very productive but I've learned a lot.  

Now that I finally have a project that I do expect to post, I'm eager to get it out.  I'm both excited and frustrated at the same time.  I've finished the weapon and, as you will be able to verify for yourself eventually, there's never been anything like it in Oblivion. One of the biggest problems has been how to keep it from ruining the game.  If it were not limited in some way, the game would become pointless.  At one point while testing it out, I was attacked simultaneously be two grizzly bears, an ogre, a minotaur. a troll, and a Will-O-The-Wisp (I'm not making this up).  Whammy, whammy there were all dead!  I have devised a way to limit it that is believeable and still lets you have a little fun.  The fustration is due to the huge about of work still to do.  It will take at least another week or more to finish "abandoning" the exterior of the house--and there's a lot more after that.  You wouldn't want to just walk up and pickup or buy a weapon like this.  With what I'm working on, by the time you get it, you will definitely feel you have earned it.

I don't know why I'm babbling away like this when I should be making vines.  So back to the vine factory. :pints:

Hey Vince,

Thought I;d offer a suggestion on your weapon. Anytime you introduce a great power, one of the best ways to temper it is to offer it at a cost. You could give your weapon a side effect. Take out x number of enemies and it drains the player's health x number of points. Like a symbiotic relationship. That way, the player can use this great weapon when they need to, but are cautious about using it too much!

Just some ideas to kick around, hope you find the balance you're looking for with you weapon!  :pints:

Your inside out house just reminded me of something I have been looking for. Its for a mod I would like to make for this site.

It would be the 'Tavern' where our stories come from.

What I need is a 'tavern' like one of the farmhouses with multiple floors.

I need an exterior model that is perfect. The existing farmhouses would work here.

But what I would need created is a 'burned out' version of the same farmhouse, with burned out interior floor inside of it.

There are burned buildings in vanilla Oblivion, but none of them match any unburned buildings.

What happens is the player enters the unburned version and see's us as characters inside the tavern. If the player tries to interact with any player, they become ghosts,  flames leap around the player. Going outside the burned version of the tavern is there, overgrown with weeds. Inside is a chest with books in it, of the stories we have been writing.

Sorry its long, but I thought it was a good idea. And your house models sounded about like what I was looking for..

Thanks for reading.

What happens is the player enters the unburned version and see's us as characters inside the tavern. If the player tries to interact with any player, they become ghosts,  flames leap around the player. Going outside the burned version of the tavern is there, overgrown with weeds. Inside is a chest with books in it, of the stories we have been writing.Sorry its long, but I thought it was a good idea. And your house models sounded about like what I was looking for..Thanks for reading.
I too think it's a good idea, I really do.  You ought to work on that.   aa_biggrin.gif

Don't bully the man now, he's got a lot on his plate too!  :pints:

Wha?!! when have I ever been known to bully anyone?  :pints:

Anyway, what I meant by it was I am not going to work on it until I 'get' that burned farmhouse model.
There would be no reason to put the effort in if I never get a burned house model to go with the story.  aa_wall.gif

I know its a tough request.  :wave:
I am not really asking anyone to do it. Just if they have some free time and feel like it.

Don't bully the man now, he's got a lot on his plate too!  :lmao:
Wha?!! when have I ever been known to bully anyone?  :poke:

You shove me around all the time you thug!  :AK47:

I'm just kidding , Mate, teasing ya. See the laughing smiley?! Just a joke. You're a nice bloke. And eventually we will find the right burned out model because not making your tavern idea is not an option if I must learn how to model it myself!

I'm sure Vince will be happy to answer my questions in the Study Hall when he has a chance!  :gather: