DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

How can I set this up?

The Vyper

I decided to take a break from Oblivion modding for a little while and work on Fallout 3 (and eventually Fallout:NV). In the mod I'm working on, I want to set up 12 turrets that fire on any Actor that is not in a certain faction (or carrying a certain item) when inside their defense zone. Unfortunately, I don't know how to set this up. Any tips? Also, is there any way to make them fire only when they have a direct Line Of Sight on the offending target? I'd like to avoid using any FOSE functions if possible.

In the game, have you run accross the Enclave at a crossroads with 4 turrets? One of them has a 'key' that if you own the key, the turrets will not fire at you. I am off to work so I can't look at it now.

The AI already only fires at targets you can see. It sometimes will fire at a wall if you duck for cover after it targets you.

There is also an 'agro' radius you can set in the AI tabs.

The object is a misc item called 'FFEC09OfficerID'. It is the Experimental Rho ID.

The script on this item is:

scn FFEC09TurretScript

BEGIN ONADD Player

FFEC09TurretA.addToFaction playerFaction 1
FFEC09TurretA.stopCombat
FFEC09TurretB.addToFaction playerFaction 1
FFEC09TurretB.stopCombat
FFEC09TurretC.addToFaction playerFaction 1
FFEC09TurretC.stopCombat
FFEC09TurretD.addToFaction playerFaction 1
FFEC09TurretD.stopCombat
END

Begin OnDrop player
FFEC09TurretA.removeFromFaction playerFaction
FFEC09TurretA.stopCombat
FFEC09TurretB.removeFromFaction playerFaction
FFEC09TurretB.stopCombat
FFEC09TurretC.removeFromFaction playerFaction
FFEC09TurretC.stopCombat
FFEC09TurretD.removeFromFaction playerFaction
FFEC09TurretD.stopCombat
End[/code]

As you can see, it simply adds the turret to the players faction when its in the players inventory, and removes it from the player faction if its dropped.

Now, for what you want, you would set the turrets to a faction and either include or exclude NPC's or the player from that faction to control the agression.

*snip*

Awesome! Thank you. I also have another question: I want to flip the ceiling turrets so they can be mounted on the ground, but they won't flip in the GECK. I tried inverting the mesh in NifSkope and saving it as a new mesh, but that didn't work either. Oh sure, the mesh saved, but when I loaded it in the GECK, it was still oriented like a ceiling turret. I also looked through FO3 Nexus for some additional Turret models, but couldn't find any. Any tips?

Its a 'creature' and you can't make creatures stand on their heads. Unless they are dead and in ragdoll mode anyway.

I suspect you would need a new skeleton and entire creature made that was flipped around.

Well poo. I don't know how to do that yet. Oh well. Oh, another (slightly related) question: Will TES4Gecko turn a Fallout 3 .esp into an .esm, or do I need something else for that?

Edit: TES4Gecko can turn a FO 3 .esp into an .esm. Cool!

Edited by The Vyper