DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

I need more Brightness...

ZuTheSkunk

Okay, so... I needed to replace my old GeForce 6800 with Radeon HD 4600. Before the previous graphics card broke, I was able to customize the Brightness in the Video options; I set it high enough so I could actually see anything in the dungeons. Now however the Brightness is locked in the Video options, and when I explore a dungeon, most of the location remains pitch black (due to few sources of light obviously).

Is there any way I can fix it? I don't care is it realistic or not, I want to actually see anything when exploring a dungeon...

Are you using any mod that alters the ambient light of the dungeons? I know of a few "offenders" and I use one myself. Vanilla Oblivion dungeons are quite bright and you barely need a torch to navigate them, at least I don't. I'm asking this because, since your Brightness option is locked, that might be a problem not related to any mods. Also, does everything else look appropriately bright (or dark)? If so, that's a strange issue.

If you are using mods, just deactivate them or, if you don't mind a bit of nibbling in the CS, turn the ambient light up a few notches (quite a hefty work, I know...).

EDIT: I've found a mod that may help you: Brighter Caves. Haven't tested it myself but it must do what it says, which is make most caves brighter. This saves you from the hassle of going into the CS and tweaking the ambient light cave by cave. All this provided it's just an in-game, dungeon problem and not something more serious, so to speak.

• Upvote 1

Well, I just installed the newest driver, and it seems that it has solved the problem... I can see everything in the dungeons again. :) False alarm I guess. Still, thank you for help. :)

Glad it's sorted. We're here to help, after all :). I still don't know why I didn't suggest installing newer drivers before, even though that doesn't always solve the problem...

For the future. Monitors have their own brightness controls as well.

Yes, but these controls affect brightness everywhere, and only Oblivion had this problem.

On some CRTs brightness can be a problem, even when you max it out. Now, I'm not sure if there's any danger of messing up the hardware by making it too bright, but it's a CRT so who cares.

That's some useful info, thank you. However, I'm using LCD monitor. :)

From what I see, there are no other problems with brightness in the games, but I noticed one little, strange issue... when making screenshots in Oblivion through Fraps (what I always did), they turn out darker than the game actually is (example). :( And once again, it's only Oblivion's problem. Yes, I can be using vanilla screenshot feature (this one works normally), but still, anyone has an idea how to fix it?