DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tavern Tales: Come on in and Have a Drink! Part IV

WillieSea

They gathered together within the small teleporting chamber, Grond and Failan, Tajo and Lily, and Wilson. The damp chill of their new surroundings soaked through their thin desert gear. Tajo sent Wilson to the open entry, for they heard the sounds of battle echoing through the white Ayleid halls below them. The snarls and roars of beasts, and howls of pain, came to their ears.

Failan shouted, "My people!" And again, the mayor of Udolf transformed herself into the white werewolf, and she sprang out of the chamber towards the sounds.

The others stood for a moment. Lily and Tajo gazed at Grond, for they waited for him to follow Failan. "This is your woman," said Tajo. "Her troubles are not mine. Are they yours? For I tire of this affair, friend Grond, and would just as soon kill everything below, and be done. What say you?"

To answer Tajo, Grond flipped the metal Tongue to her, and said, "Come behind us. Lily?" Grond gestured to a torch near the girl. "Can you do another trick for me?"

The Nord grinned at her. Smiling back to him, Lily shrugged. "The witches at the oasis," she said, "gave me hints about my ring. I can try."

Tajo took a step back as Grond crouched to the floor. Lily pointed at the torch and closed her eyes. As grey fur sprouted along Grond's back, flames drew a line toward Lily, and they soon enveloped her, and the child grew in size again, but this time, she became a giant made of fire. And as Grond became again a great werewolf and left the chamber, Lily stooped at the high ceiling, and flames now defined her shape, and the heat within the chamber was almost too great for Tajo. She followed Lily and Grond out of the chamber, holding the precious Tongue, and Wilson came behind her.

Meanwhile, Red, aided in her steps by Jean and Echo, came behind Arwin to the Black Wolf. The hall there stood empty, though it was littered with a great number of bodies - human bodies and those of wolves lay together amid other, charred forms. Jean and Echo brought the limp, barely conscious Red to the statue, where the Imperial shrugged them off, and, putting both hands upon the dais, she took many deep breaths and shivered greatly, and her teeth chattered. She looked at the bodies strewn throughout the Hall, and she muttered, "These are the people of Udolf." They could hear loud howls and roars above them.

There was some pleasure in Arwin's voice as he replied, "Yes. It seems there is strife between the vile beasts. Jean, stay with her, please. Echo?" The Altmer gestured to the thief, and then to Red, said, "We shall investigate above. Stay here until we return."

The pair, Arwin and Echo, took a step away from them, when Red, with great passion in her voice, cried, "Not on your life!" Her voice echoed through the empty chamber. "Give me the relics. Let's end this madness!"

Catching the black bag deftly, Red took the rope of its closure between her teeth and climbed the Wolf. She sat atop the shoulders and took out the Eyes, the great sapphires, but she dropped the first jewel she removed. She started a curse, but then stopped, stunned, as the sapphire bounced off the side of the statue, and, in midair, spun and arced upward and was sucked, as it were, directly into the great socket of the Wolf's eye, where it landed with a click. Once out of the magickal sack, it was evident that the gems were drawn to their homes. So Red simply threw the last two pieces - the second Eye and the great Heart - into the air, and they each flew to their homes and landed with a click.

The ruby Heart flashed with a red fire, and the sapphire Eyes sparked with azure light. Arwin shouted with impatience, "Red! Come down from there!"

Suddenly, as Red climbed off the back of the dark statue, there burst from a high door a great billowing storm of fire, and it sent through the doorway a number of werewolves, tumbling and flying down the great stair at the far wall. The fires ran in plumes along the ceiling of the Hall, then they vanished. The wolves fell dead near the feet of the Statue, burning and howling as they died.

And what Red and the others there then saw filled them at first with great dread, and they drew their weapons and readied themselves for a final battle.

As Red and the others entered the Chamber of the Black Wolf far below, Grond, the grey wolf again, saw the white werewolf, Failan, leap from the aisle outside the teleport chamber. The aisle they came upon once outside ran to a stair that led down to a hall. This hall was far wider than the Wolf Chamber, with columns and blue Welkynd stones and bronze grates, and at its center there was an empty dais, looted long ago of the riches it once housed. Within this great hall, Grond saw that a furious battle now raged, and that it was a struggle solely between werewolves.

Here, in the Ayleid Hall, was fought the last defense of Udolf, from the hordes of werewolves that had made the Hall theirs long ago. The villagers were the smaller of the two armies of werewolves, and even Tajo could tell that clearly the villagers were outnumbered and the weaker, as the others, great slavering beasts, with mostly black fur, were the stronger, and would kill the villagers, unless aid could come.

And aid did come. For the white werewolf slipped between the foes, and lent her prowess to each battle she came upon. Then, with a roar that sent all eyes to the aisle, Grond leapt from the rail, and he was followed by fire and bolts of white lightning. For Lily came behind Grond, a flying column of fire, now bright violet, and Tajo remained upon the aisle, and threw electric bolts at them. Grond slew many of the black werewolves, and they began to retreat, and the howls of the people of Udolf as they chased them - toward the chamber in which Red now sat upon the statue - that victorious howl shook the chamber, so that many of the Welkynd stones tumbled from their sconces, and fell to the floor.

The black wolves fled toward a long stair, and the others chased them, with Lily at their head, for the fire golem flowed through the air, and the rest dared not near the heat of her flames. Lily's hands held the dagger, now a flaming claymore, which cut down the retreating beasts as they tumbled down the stair.

Then they came to a wide door at the end of the stair. Lily, in one last effort, sent the greatest wall of flames outward as she swung the fiery claymore, and it blasted the last of the black beasts through the door, where they were flung out into the Chamber of the Black Wolf, and so died at the feet of Red and the others within.

At long last, after many great trials, the two parties reunited in the Chamber, but those below did not recognize the ones who came through the flames towards them, a Fire Golem, followed by first a grey werewolf and close behind, a white, then a small army of other werewolves.

Jean gave a great cry and sent towards the Golem a Frost spell, while Arwin nocked and sent many arrows towards the grey and the white werewolves, for these seemed to him to be the leaders. Echo stood before Red and drew his blades, while Red herself stood quite still, and looked long at the grey werewolf, as it leapt away from Arwin's arrows. Red felt that somehow this wolf was not a foe, nor was the flaming monster, who now came down the steps towards them, its flames somewhat lessened by the Frost spell.

Arwin readied four arrows at once, and he pulled the bow string, but he paused as Red shouted to him. "Arwin! Wait a moment!" The Altmer turned with a look that mixed wild anger with confusion. The Golem and the werewolves drew near. Red had raised her hands, as Jean, Echo and Arwin waited anxiously. "Hold!" said Red. "I don't know how I know, but these - "

Just then her words were interrupted by Tajo, who had raced down the stair and only now had come behind the others. "Arwin!" she cried. "Let them come!"

Utterly confused, the Altmer lowered his bow, and backed away, as the Golem drew near to Red, and the werewolves filed toward the Statue. Tajo came, and she held the Tongue high in her hands, and behind her came Wilson, his talons dripping dark blood, for there had come from behind other black werewolves, who had attempted to attack them as they chased those retreating. Tajo and Wilson had destroyed them.

Red looked up at the Golem, and she felt its great heat. She heard Tajo explain to Arwin just who these creatures were, and she smiled, for her feelings had spoken true to her. "Hi, Lily!" said the Imperial. "Nice outfit!"

And Lily spread her flaming arms toward Red, and embraced her, and she lifted Red high above them all, so that the near-frozen thief was enveloped in violet flames, which sent a great warmth through her form, and completely revived her.

Grond and Failan returned to their human forms, as did those few villagers who had survived the last defense. So it was that the people of Udolf gathered behind Tajo, who now bore the last piece, and Arwin, Red, and the others gathered near to her, and saw that she struggled to hold the Tongue, which indeed seemed to be pulled by great magic towards its home within the maw of the Black Wolf. Soon, too, came Red with Lily, and the girl, again human, held Red's warmed hand.

Failan left Grond's side, and though the Nord was loathe to release her, he watched with the rest as she climbed the dais and stood near to the statue.

"The witch Adrasta is no more!" she shouted.

At this news, the villagers cheered. But Failan raised her hands and they grew silent. "Now then, this statue has slept since long before any of us were born. None now live to tell of what may happen when the final piece is in place. Nor do we know how it will end our curse, or cure us of our dread lycanthropy. Shall we place the last piece? Aye or Nay?"

At that, the villagers murmurred, "Aye."

"So be it," said Failan. She nodded to Tajo. Tajo, feeling the great pull through the Tongue, simply let go of it. The Tongue rode through the air and landed with a click in the Beast's mouth. And within the Chamber, a hush fell.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The great wolf statue began to glow, light ran along it's surface and all in the chamber gasped as it moved, stretching stone arms and legs that suddenly looked not like stone, but fur, alive. It reared back it's head and howled long at the roof of the chamber before dropping it's eyes to those before it. The sapphires winked at them from it's eye sockets and it spoke.

"Who comes before me? Witch! Where are you?" It's voice grated out, seeming to come from a great depth and curled through the chamber, seeming to touch each person that waited there.

"The witch is dead." Failan said from the dais before it. She had held her ground when the statue woke, showing no fear before her people. "We have suffered much at her hands and wish to be free of this curse."

The newly risen beast peered at her, and those arrayed behind her. "Adrasta is dead." It growled. "And you, the descendants of her children would be free."

Arwin watched the beast's head swing to and fro as it studied them and itched to kill it. This was a culmination of his hatred of werewolves and he barely restrained himself. He felt a hand on his arm and turned to find Red, smiling with understanding. He breathed a sigh, relaxing his grip on his sword. They would not fight this thing, not if it could free the villagers of their curse. Grond stepped past them, eyes on the giant.

"Can you free them?" He asked, gesturing at the villagers. The head swung to him, pinning him with it's gaze.

"And free you as well? I feel the same taint in your blood." It growled a laugh. "Yes. Free they will be. Come to me child." It pointed at the nearest villager, raising it's massive clawed foot. She came, a small woman, fear and determination on her face and the beasts paw rested briefly above her head. At once, she turned, changing her form in an instant to the wolf and then frozen in stone.

"What have you done?" Failan screamed at the beast as Arwin, Grond and the others rushed forward to attack. Red was drawn to the villager and ran to the new statue. She placed her hands on the stone, expecting nothing and felt her magic wake. She felt the pulse of the woman's life within the stone.

"Wait!" She bellowed to the others, stopping them short of attacking the beast. "She lives!" As one, they halted, staring. "She's alive. I can feel her." The great head turned to her.

"The beast form must be killed for them to be free. Trapped in stone, the witch's power could have healed them. Can you?" It asked, studying Red with interest. "You can feel the life trapped there. Can you free it?"

Red turned back to the villager, hands still on the stone and felt the life calling to her. She thrust her healing magic into the stone, seeking the human life trapped inside. The magic found her, scouring the disease from her within her prison as though it were nothing. "She's human again." Red said softly, still touching the stone. "Now what?"

"Break the stone." The creature said on another growling laugh. Grond was at Red's side then, moving her gently aside with a smile and brandishing his axe.

"Allow me." He cocked the weapon back and swung at the stone. It crashed into the statue and shattered it. As the stone tumbled to the ground, the woman was left standing amidst the rubble, a bemused look on her face as she stared around. Grond took her arm as Failan ran to her and embraced her.

"Are you well?" Failan asked and the woman nodded. "Are you cured?" The woman closed her eyes for a moment and then opened them as happy tears fell from them.

"I cannot change. I am healed." She said and the villagers cheered.

"Very well." Failan released her, turning to the statue. "You may cure us all, starting with me." She stepped forward and the beast nodded, raising his paw. Failan sent one, happy smile to Grond before she changed into her wolf form and was frozen in stone. The beast stretched it's paw out over the heads of all assembled and one by one, quickly transformed them until only Grond remained.

"Now you, tainted Nord." It growled, resting it's paw above his head. Red stepped back from Grond and nodded at him, telling him with a look he would be the first she woke. Grond's skin split, becoming the werewolf once more and the his features ran with stone, leaving him trapped. Red was at his side instantly, hands resting lightly on the now statue and the beast spoke to her. "You interest me, little witch." It growled, dropping it's head beside her. "We could accomplish much with Adrasta dead."

"What?" Red asked, confused.

"Her power was old and perverted but you," It studied her closely. "Your magic is wild. I can taste it on my tongue." And it unrolled the metal tongue at her as if tasting the air around her. "Stay with me when these are gone and you may free them."

"What do you mean?" Arwin stepped forward, sensing that things had just gone very wrong. Lily, Tajo, Echo, Jean and the freed villager stood at his back, waiting. The creature had eyes only for Red.

"These pathetic villagers were never what I wanted." It smiled it's massive teeth at her. "We would find those willing to change." It whispered now, entreating her. "You would be mother to a new race of wolves at my side, you and that magic of yours."

Red shook her head. "No." She answered quickly. "No more werewolves." The beast growled.

"So be it." It's foot came crashing down on the nearest statue, crushing it to a bloody mess of stone and wolf. "Then these shall perish as you watch!"

"No!" Red screamed and her magic, already called to heal, came to her hands, sending a ball of flames into it's foot as it sought to crush another, knocking it back. The others leaped into action, attacking the creature and trying to defend the helpless villagers beneath it. Though it's form looked flesh, their weapons glanced off it's arms and legs as if they were still stone and it laughed at them.

It's head turned, looking toward the wolven statue that was Grond and it lashed it's great foot towards him, to crush him. Red was there, throwing herself in front of it and planted her Dread Blade in the paw even as it crashed her backwards into Grond's statue. The beast howled in pain, rearing back and shaking the foot to dislodge the weapon that had hurt it.

Red lay gasping against Grond, feeling her chest burn from the impact and felt his life within the stone. She sent her magic inside, healing him. When she felt him cured, she called the magic again, this time covering it in flames and bursting his prison in a shower of rock. Red fell back and was caught in Grond's arms.

"Double crossed us." She gasped, speaking through the pain. "Kill it." and she grinned at him as he growled, seeing the battle being waged above the heads of the villagers. He set Red carefully aside and drew his axe, leaping into the fray as the beast crushed another villager. Red crawled to the next statue, knowing it was Failan and pulled herself up the stone, healing the woman within and once more shattering the prison as she had Grond's. Failan said nothing, seeing the battle and guessing what had happened. With a quick smile for Red, she too joined the fight and soon the statue beast was ringed by defenders, keeping it from killing more as it roared.

Grond leaped to the beast's arm as it swung at him and with a cry, plunged his axe deep into it's chest. The enchanted blade sank deeply, finding the gemstone heart and shattering it. The beast howled anew, clutching at its chest as it fell backwards. Echo was suddenly there, pulling Red's dagger from it's foot and he took to it's head, dodging the gnashing teeth to dig for the sapphire eyes. He had the first in moments, going for the second. Arwin easily placed several arrows within the now empty socket, rallying at the blood that now poured forth from the mortal beast.

With it's heart destroyed, they layed into beast, hacking it to death by inches as it howled and screamed on the floor of the chamber. Lily and Tajo were busily shoving the villagers statues out of the way of it's legs and arms, saving them from being crushed in it's death throws. Red was making her painful way between the statues, waking one after another as she could, telling them to flee the chamber while the beast was dealt with. Though her chest burned, she did not fall, wanting them safe. She checked the battle often, smiling as her friends had the upper hand now and went once more to freeing the villagers of Udolf while the great beast died behind her.

"Is he always tardy?" asked Arwin, as he tightened the straps of his saddle.

Red laughed. "Almost always, yes," she replied. She brushed Saviour as they waited for Grond. "I don't think he reckons time normally. Must be his age. But when the big bastard comes, he usually makes a grand entrance. Don't you think so?" Red winked at Arwin. The Altmer glared at the smiling Red, as he remembered the grey werewolf, which he had tried to kill. But Red would not be denied. She held her gaze and her grin, so that despite himself, Arwin shook his head and laughed with her.

They had remained in Udolf for several days, as there was much to do to, and much celebration and sorrow. There was a pyre before the door to the Ayleid Ruin behind the hamlet, the smoke of which continued to rise, as a reminder of fell deeds and great heroics. There they had placed the fallen from Udolf. The hamlet's population had been cut in half, most having been killed by the Followers of the Black Wolf. But some had attacked Red and her companions during their journey, for they had been forced to submit to the Followers. Red had gone to the families of those they had been forced to destroy, and with her went Jean and Arwin - though for the Altmer, at first, it was a bitter visit - and there were tears shed on both sides for the loss and the horror of the curse. Both sides forgave and were forgiven, and soon enough, even Arwin softened, for he saw that these were good people twisted to evil deeds by the curse, and he brought gold and gems out of a purse, to aid the families of those stricken and lost.

But Echo did not go, for he spent much time with the girl who had sat near him during his sickness, after he had been set upon by the tentacled horror which had first led them to Udolf. The girl's name was Luba. She towered over Echo, and she looked as though she had come straight from Skyrim, with her long golden tresses and wide shapely jaw. Echo had laughed through tears when he'd seen that Luba had survived, and he spent all of his time with her and her family, for they had lost both her mother and her brother to the Followers.

The Ayleid hall was completely explored. They removed their fallen in a single solemn procession, but the carcasses of the Followers who had not been burnt to ash by Lily they beheaded, so that at no time could their forms be used again by any new terror. Men, led by Grond, took their hammers to the Black Wolf, for it had returned to stone after it had died. And with their hammers they reduced the statue to dust, then that dust was burned away to nothing by Red's fire, and the pieces they had struggled to acquire melted within those flames, for the Black Wolf was now dead, and they were now empty vessels. So it was that the statue would never again be rebuilt or reinhabited.

So finally the day came when Red and the others desired to return to the Tavern. The day after the defeat of the Black Wolf, Lily had rejoiced at the return of the pony called Lightning, and with her came Mik and Auro. And now, as the warm sun came over the far-off mountains, Red, Arwin and Jean gathered near their mounts, and waited for the rest to say their goodbyes.

Grond came first, out of the Mead Hall, followed by Failan holding Lily by her hand. In Grond's hand was a tankard, and he drained its contents as Lily and Failan embraced tightly. Then the Nord handed the tankard to Failan and took Lily into his arms. He pulled Failan to him and grasped her so that the three of them embraced. Releasing Failan Grond turned, and as he came near Mik, he threw Lily high into the air several times, and as she flew, the girl who had twice been a giant golem now giggled, and clung to Grond. He flipped the girl over his back, and she sat upon his shoulders. Then Grond let out a bellow: "ECHO!"

As the Nord held Lily out before him by her ankles, and raised her upside-down face to his, and scolded her for her tremendous giggling - "and ye call yerself a Mage???" - Echo rushed out of Luba's stone house and, after kissing her and clasping arms with her father, the thief came to them.

The entire village soon gathered round the companions as they mounted their horses. Failan gave them the thanks of the village. "You will be forever welcome here as heroes." The others waved and began to ride off, but Grond wheeled Mik round once, and pointed at Failan. The woman pointed in return at the Nord. Then he turned to follow his friends.

The villagers cheered them as they rode off, to the Tavern.

The seven friends, new and old, rode home to the Tavern in high spirits. Echo's horse danced between Grond and Lily as he told them about their adventures, Lily gasping as he told her about the avalanche in the high mountains. Arwin and Jean rode side by side, conversing softly and with many heated looks and smiles while Tajo rode behind, shaking her head at the couple. Red rode ahead to Grond as they came in sight of the Tavern finally and gave a long sigh, punching Grond lightly on the arm.

"It's good to be home again." She said with a smile. Grond laughed, spurring Mik on in a burst of speed. With a whoop, Red kicked Savior into a gallop and the two raced to the Tavern neck in neck. They reached the yard in a rush to the surprise of the stable hands, laughing loudly and slid from their horses. Red gave a cheer as Lily outpaced Echo to reach the yard ahead of him and he scowled at being beaten.

They turned their horses over to the stable hands and went into the Tavern arguing like siblings. Tajo vanished into the stables with Wilson and her horse, speaking softly to both as she went. Grond clapped Red on the back. "We need a drink!" He said with a grin. "We've earned it!" They headed for the doors and turned back as Arwin called to them.

"We'll not be joining you just yet." He smiled at them.

"What's up?" Red asked, curious.

"I worry there may still be some of Adrasta's wolves in the forests around us." He gestured at the lands around the Tavern. "Though the villagers have been saved from that fate, there were many more of her own creatures."

"We may not have killed them all." �Jean added, nodding to Arwin. "We'd like to make sure."

"Want company?" Grond asked, though he thought longingly for a tankard and the fire. Arwin shook his head with a small grin.

"No, we'll be fine on our own I think."

Red aimed a piercing look at him and raised her brows, forcing a chuckle from him. "Uh huh. Well in that case, enjoy yourselves!" She said and waved, turning to the Tavern as Grond burst into laughter. They waved once more as Arwin and Jean rode into the woods.

"Thank goodness." Grond pushed the doors open and bellowed for Arlow. "Meade man, err I die of thirst!"

Red laughed and went to her usual seat by the massive hearth. She sank gratefully into the chair, propping her feet on the hearthstones and resisted the urge to kiss Arlow when he brought her a steaming tankard of Meade. Grond sat across from her and smacked his lips appreciatively before taking his first sip.

"Ahhh much better." He sighed, sitting back. "Now we're home." He said, making Red chuckle. Tajo returned soon after and, to Red's surprise, came to join them with a shy look. Soon Echo and Lily came as well and they spent the evening recounting their journeys. Red found herself telling Grond of Will's brief return and felt a tug of guilt as she told what had happened in the Daedric ruin. Grond reached across, taking her hand and smiling at her, relieving the sting of the memory. He'd felt her near death once and, knowing Will had been there to stave it off gave him some peace.

"I owe him a drink then." He said softly, raising his mug. "Should he ever return." Red, Echo and Lily raised their mugs as well and toasted. "To missing friends, may they come home to us soon." Grond nodded, draining his mug as they did theirs. To break the solemn mood, he bellowed for Arlow again, demanding more meade and lamenting loudly on the difficulty of finding good staff. Arlow returned, laden with mugs and muttered as he left about blowhard Nords running about in their altogether scaring off the good customers. Grond and the others roared with laughter. So went their evening, until finally, they staggered off to bed. Plied well with Arlow's best meade and happy to be home and safe once more.

Hoofbeats...

Red awoke in her bed with a start. The night was silent all around her and yet, she had heard that sound so distant and yet so familiar it sang to her heart. She pulled back the bed clothes and leapt from her bed, throwing open the window and leaning out into the night. The woods and fields around the tavern were covered in a blanket of fog. It was early; the sun had not yet begun its long climb into the sky. Red stared at the tree lined road leading up to the tavern yard. The trees rustled slightly under a soft wind. She strained to listen. Far in the distance she heard the whinnied cry of a horse and the hollow pounding of hoof beats coming closer.

"Rider," she barely breathed his name.

Without even pausing to dress or close the window, Red abandoned her room and ran. Her bare feet fell soundlessly on each step as she made her way downstairs, crossing through the still tavern, and outside. The cool morning air washed over her cheeks and blew through the thin linen of her nightgown. Despite the chill she remained steadfast and staring at the road. The beat of hoof on dampened ground grew stronger and she stared at the mouth of the lane for some glimpse of the Dark Rider. Her eyes fell first on the face of the beast as it appeared from the darkness. There was no mistaking the ebony black of the animal for that of any other. It was Rider�s Legion. The large black stallion cantered into the tavern yard, his hooves dancing nervously beneath him; the figure on his back was crumpled over to one side and barely clinging to the saddle.

Red instinctively reached out for him, "Legion, whoa boy," she called his name gently.

Legion stopped moving forward and backed away from her outstretched hand. The horse reared up and screamed a battle cry, throwing his rider to the ground where he lay in a shadowy heap. Legion continued to rear and stamp his feet nearly crushing the crumpled form on the ground. His eyes were wild with a frenzied madness Red had never known in him. Lanterns were lit inside the tavern as Legion's screams roused the other adventurers from their rest. The front door opened and Grond staggered into the yard, Lily peering around from just behind him. The light from his lantern revealed three fierce arrows imbedded into Legion's flesh, blood stained his black coat, hidden before by the darkness of the morning. Red tried to soothe him with her familiar voice but after a few moments the stallion bolted into the low field, disappearing into the fog.

Red watched him go only for a fleeting moment before rushing to the aid of the fallen rider. She heard Grond issue a hushed order for Lily to wait before he stepped into the yard and drew up behind her. Red crouched by the fallen form and rolled him onto his back. The figure's dark cloak fell away from his youthful face. Red gasped slightly in surprise, it wasn't Rider after all, but someone else; the last person she had seen with her long missing friend.

"Phillip?" she called the young man's name gently. Grond held his lantern over them, the light revealing the dirt, smoke, and sweat marring his features and a trickle of blood from a wound on his temple.

"Who is he?" Lily's young voice broke the stillness, catching Grond and Red by surprise.

"I thought I told ye to wait by the door girl?" Grond growled.

Lily didn't falter under his stern gaze but frowned up at him, "And I thought I told you I wasn't a baby," she said with just as much conviction.

Grond shrugged, "Aye, so ye did. Well, git on up to the house now and get a bed ready, he'll need tending to before we can figure out what he's doing with Rider's mount."

Lily seemed to accept that as a genuine responsibility, "Right," she agreed, dashing off to the house to prepare a clean bed and collect Grond's healing herbs.
Once Lily was gone Grond leaned closer, "So, who is he?"

Red shook her head, "He's the messenger Rider left with from Wight."

Grond passed her the lantern and lifted Phillip into his arms, "What do you suppose he's doing with Legion?"

Red followed as Grond headed toward the tavern carrying the unconscious young man, "I'm not sure," she answered truthfully, "I thought Rider was the only one who could ride Legion. I guess we'll have to help him first to know for sure."

"It's a nasty wound," the Nord commented dryly, "but his heart feels strong, I should be able to bring him around soon."

Red stayed at the door, "Lily can help you," she said touching Grond on the shoulder to let him know she had stopped following.

The big Nord turned back to look at her, Phillip's light form seemed weightless in his strong grip, "You going after Legion?" she nodded, "In naught but your nightclothes?!" he asked, somewhat incredulously.

Red smiled at the thought, "No, but I have to go after him. Those arrows were deep; it's too much even for him."

"Alright, go on then, but mind yourself," Grond said, "That beast is in enough pain to forget who is friend and who is foe."

"I will," she assured him and headed toward the stable. She pulled a spare set of leathers from her saddle bags and changed quickly before saddling Savior. She uncovered the hidden blade she kept in Savior stall and slid it into the saddle before mounting up. Savior tossed his head wildly.

"You know, don't you," she asked him gently, "You know Legion is nearby, help me find him." Red let the reins go slack and Savior bolted into the early dawn, carrying her toward the low field.

Savior galloped hard into the field, sometimes turning one way, then quickly reversing his course. Red left the reins slack, knowing he was following the course of the pain demented Legion. She still reeled from his return, and in such a state. Part of her wanted to return to the Tavern and shake Phillip awake until he told her what had become of Rider. She shook her head at the whim, as he was in little better shape than the horse they followed.

It was a cold morning, the fog parting before Savior as he went and the chill slipping into her leathers, making her shiver. She fought it, knowing she had time enough to find him before it could incapacitate her. She smirked then, wondering how long it would take Grond to realize she had fled into the cold without her furs. He'd be kicking himself she was sure.

Savior snorted, getting her attention and she looked about, noting that he slowed. She could hear a heavy breathing in the mist, the stamping of hooves and knew they were close. "Careful, my boy." She whispered to Savior, patting him on the neck. "He doesn't know us yet." He threw his head in response, as if to argue and turned once more, now slowing to a walk. The dark shape of the Riders' horse loomed out of the mist then. She saw him toss his great, black head at their approach but he stayed where he was, waiting, snorting in warning as Red slipped from Savior's back. Her own mount took a step towards his friend, rearing when Legion screamed at him in warning.

"Legion." Red said his name softly, hands held out before her to show she meant no harm. Like Savior, Legion was far more than an average horse and she wouldn't underestimate him. He stamped the ground as she drew closer. "Whoa, boy. It's me." She continued speaking softly, trying to lull him with the sound of her voice. His eyes wheeled in his head and once more, she could see the wicked arrows standing from his flank, the blood that had poured down his side. "Let me help." She was nearly to him when he reared back on his hind legs, despite the pain, lashing out with his forelegs. Red threw herself to the ground to avoid being kicked and Savior was suddenly in front of her, using his body to check Legion with a scream of his own. He knocked the larger warhorse backward and Legion stood stunned, confused perhaps. He stretched his head out to Savior. Red could hear him sniffing her horse, see his nostrils flaring in the pre-dawn light.

Savior stood perfectly still, seeming to know that moving may startle him. Legion took a step closer, running his muzzle up Saviors' neck and to Red's saddle. He made a curious whuffling noise and then butted Savior in the chest gently. Red heaved a sigh. He'd recognized her mount, now if only he'd remember her. She got to her feet slowly, keeping Savior between them and spoke to him once more.

"It's me boy. Remember me too." She kept her voice low, moving slowly and extended her hand under Savior's neck to where Legion could reach. He snorted again, louder and took her wrist in his teeth. She resisted the urge to jerk her hand back and waited instead. After a few moments, he released her, sniffing her instead as Savior stood between them. Her wrist ached but she kept her hand out to him. She felt him tug gently at the leathers on her arm and then he whinnied. It was such a sad sound, a tear escaped her. She went carefully around Savior and Legion came to her finally. The massive horse buried his head in her chest like a child and for several minutes, she simply held him, breathing in the scent of him. "It's alright." She whispered. "We'll take care of you."

She comforted him and then went to his flank and the arrows waiting there. Savior seemed to understand it would be bad and was all but leaning on the larger horse, as if to lend support. Legion kept his head turned to Red, watching her as she took the shaft of one of the arrows in her hand. She hoped removing it wouldn't drive him away again and, taking a breath, pulled it swiftly from his flesh. Legion screamed, kicking out and she danced nimbly out of the way. She let her horse calm him again and then returned to Legion. He was watching her again and now she thought he understood what she was doing. His leg was drawn up, favoring it and she cried. She took hold of the second arrow, and then the third, removing them as quickly as she could as tears trailed down her face for the pain she was causing him.

When the last arrow was removed she placed her hands on the wounds, in the blood and called her magic. Legion was truly leaning on Savior now, going into shock she thought. Her magic rose quickly, flooding into him and she felt the vicious wounds, the fatigue, the pain and a hopelessness as she healed him. Red felt the wounds close over beneath her hands, felt him strengthen and take his own weight once more.

She fought to control her magic as that other mind rose in her once more. Pushing down the panic, she quelled the power, forcing it away once more and staggered with the effort and the cold. She would have fallen but for Legion's head nudging her side, pushing her upright. She laughed, wrapping her arms round his neck and breathing him in once more. "It's okay." She said softly. "Let's go home." She patted him firmly on the neck, receiving another nudge of affection and mounted Savior with a chuckle.

She didn't worry about Legion, knowing he would follow her back to the Tavern. He fell easily in beside them as they rode, the two horses near prancing beside each other and sometimes giving each other a friendly shove. Red was shaking in earnest on Savior's back from the cold but still laughed at their obvious pleasure in being reunited. They reached the Tavern yard as dawn broke over the horizon and Grond ran from the building to meet them, a blanket in his arms.

"Ye daft girl!" He yelled, waving the blanket at her. Her pride kept her in the saddle so he wouldn't see how badly she was now shaking but Grond had little patience and plucked her from the saddle, anger and worry on his face as he felt her body shake. He set her on the ground, ignoring her furious words and wrapped the blanket around her. "Inside with ye and to the hearth. Arlow's got it fair blazing now for you, and me the idiot that let you ride out of here into the cold without a thought." He studied the two horses as they allowed themselves to be led away by a stable hand. "Healed him I see. Good." He draped an arm over Red's shoulders to support her as they walked. "That boy, Phillip you said?" Red nodded. "He's not come awake yet but I've done me best for him. He'll be fine." They entered the doors and the sudden burst of heat from the roaring fire inside weakened her already trembling legs with relief. Grond plucked her up as she sagged and took her to the fire, Arlow waiting with a steaming mug. He actually tsked at her, wrapping her hands around the cup as Grond settled her and Red snorted.

"Bloody women." Grond growled. "Bunch of invalids around here any day of the week." Red watched him return to his patient with a smile and sipped the hot cider as her thoughts turned to Rider once more. She wondered what could have injured his horse and Phillip so severely. What had happened that he could not come to them himself. Her brow creased with the not knowing, she rose, feeling much more herself and headed upstairs to find Phillip's room and, she hoped, some answers about her friend.

Red opened the door to the room where Grond had left Phillip. The young man was sitting up on one elbow. With his other hand he was running his fingers gently over the bandage wrapped around his ribs holding an herbal poultice in place over a gash on his side. He didn�t seem to notice her arrival at first, but his eyes slowly raised and fell on her, growing wide with an obvious fear. He pushed himself up and back against the headboard away from her, grimacing in pain from the sudden movement.

"It's okay," she said gently, "I won't hurt you."

"How do I know that?" Phillip asked disbelievingly, his eyes darted around the room, clearly searching for the twin shortblades Grond had relieved him of while unconscious.

Red entered the room slowly, confused by Phillip's obvious fear of her. "Phillip, it's me."

"How do you know my name?" He gasped, still trying to back away from her in the bed. She stared at him, a sinking feeling worming its way into her heart.

"It's me, Red. We met weeks ago when you came to find Rider." She watched his eyes, waiting to see recognition and finding nothing.

"What Rider?" He asked, confusion on his own face now. He relaxed somewhat as he tried to think through the fog in his head. Red took another step closer, stopping when his eyes leaped fearfully up to her once more. She held her hands out to him, much as she had done with the wounded Legion.

"I won't harm you, I swear." She wished now she'd left her Dread Blade outside as his eyes locked onto it. She kept her hands carefully away from it. "I may be able to heal you. Please, let me try." He seemed to weigh her words and her appearance, trying to decide if she was friend or foe. Finally, he nodded and Red stepped to the bed. She placed one hand on his chest and the other upon the side of his head. He shivered beneath her touch and she smiled gently. "It won't hurt, I promise." She breathed her magic into him then, doing her best to keep it slow and calm, holding back the usual rush of energy.

She saw his face flush with the heat of her magic and felt his wounds, expertly dressed by Grond and already beginning to heal. Red closed her eyes, focusing on Phillip's injuries. The wound in his chest she healed easily, feeling him take a deeper breath, hearing his gasp of appreciation. She was drawn to his mind then and felt that he had taken a blow to the head. She healed that wound as well, feeling the ache of a headache he had barely registered flow away on her magic. There was something else, some other wound she could only sense and her magic was unable to touch it. She drew back then in confusion, pulling the magic with her and studied the smiling face.

"Do you remember me?" She asked, hoping and felt hope leave her as he shook his head.

"If you healed me, why don't I remember?" He looked as lost as she felt.

"I can only heal physical injuries." Red tried to work it through in her head. "Whatever has taken your memories is a problem of the mind." She tapped his head lightly. "I could feel it but not heal it. I'm sorrier than you know." She said sadly.

"Why?" he asked, his tone was gentle, almost as if he shared her sadness even if he couldn't understand it.

Red hesitated. What should she tell him? If she gave him some information it might jog his memory to return, but too much and he could become even more confused causing his healing to take much longer.

"Red?"

Her head nearly snapped up as her name being spoken jarred her from her thoughts. Phillip quickly stifled a grin and she stared at him perplexed. Something about him was so familiar. His eyes sparkled like sunlight dancing on a sea of blue. That grin contained the devilish charm of a true rogue.

"You were a messenger," she began, "You brought a message to a man a few weeks ago, a man we know as friend and as Rider," Red watched to see if anything sparked familiarity, but Phillip just nodded thoughtfully, the fog of his memory refusing to clear. "This man left with you and we have had no real word from him since. We had hoped your coming was to bring us such a message."

Phillip's features twisted with confusion and frustration as he tried desperately to pull some memory to the forefront. This woman was so kind and her eyes so sad; he wanted desperately to give her some hope that her friend was safe, but he could offer nothing.

"You thought I was bringing word from him - your friend?" he asked. Red nodded. "Why?"

"You were riding his horse," she answered.

Phillip shrugged, "Maybe I'm a thief. Maybe I stole it."

Red's laugh was sudden, startling him. "Stole Legion." She gasped, staring into his blue eyes. "Oh Phillip." She laughed louder at the expression on his face. "I'm sorry to disappoint your aspirations to thievery, but no one steals Legion." She wiped happy tears from her eyes and he smiled uncertainly.

"Then how is it I came here on him?" He would not let it go, as determined as she to have his memories back.

"I don't know. Truly." She looked out through the window. "Truthfully, before last night, I'd have said no one but Rider could mount him." She looked back to Phillip, smiling for his sake though her heart was heavy once more. "You need to heal. Perhaps your memories will return with time."

"What about him? This Rider? What if he's in trouble?" Phillip was empathetic. He felt this inability to remember as a personal guilt. "What if I never remember and he dies?"

"This isn't your fault." Red took Phillip's shoulders, giving him a gentle shake. "You're his friend. We all are here. We're all worried." She watched his eyes fill with the sorrow she felt herself. "You will remember and we will find him in time." She nodded to herself. "I have faith in few things, Phillip." She stood then, remembering a late evening in the snows outside Wight and the Rider's heart beneath her head. "I have faith in him. He will survive whatever has happened." Phillip nodded though he didn't understand the expression on her face then, fierce hope.

"What happens now?" he asked uncertainly.

"Well, you can't just mount up on Legion and ride away. You'll have to stay until your memory returns," Red replied.

A quiet rapping came at the door moments before it opened slowly. Lily entered balancing a tray bearing fruit and cheese among a few other breakfast morsels. She looked up from the tray and she froze in her tracks upon seeing Phillip seated upright in bed.

Red glanced from Lily, to Phillip, then back again before clearing her throat, "Lily?"

"Huh?" Lily replied, still staring at their young guest.

Red nudged the girl's arm, "Lily? The tray?"

"Oh!" She stepped up to Phillip and set the tray at his bedside, "I heard you guys talking and thought you might be hungry so I brought you this you don't have to eat it if you're not hungry or anything but I thought you might so I brought you some things and if you want something else you just have to say and I'd be happy to go get it for you if you do so - I'm Lily," she exhaled after her rambling came to a stop at last.

Phillip looked like a cat who'd just been snagged by the tail. He shifted uncomfortably, "Oh, well, um - thank you, Lily."

Lily suddenly blushed, "You're welcome," she replied and hurried out of the room.

"What was that about?" he asked looking to Red.

She smirked, chuckled and then patted him gently on the shoulder. "Oh I think you're going to make things very interesting around here." He looked so confused she laughed, taking pity. "Lily likes you I think. Men." As his jaw dropped, she went to the door, shaking her head. "Eat your breakfast and come down to the taproom and join me, if you're up to it." She gave Phillip a friendly wave and closed the door on his bemused face.

What she wanted was to not leave his side until he remembered. She forced herself to leave him in peace. The pressure of being asked to remember could make him worse, not better and she could not have that on her conscience. Below, she found Grond, waiting on her it seemed. He waved her over with a smile.

"How is he? Lily says he's awake." Grond grinned, suddenly eager. "What does he say of Rider?" Red stared at Grond and wished she did not have to be the one to tell him they were left in the dark yet again. She steeled herself to deliver the blow.

"He has amnesia, Grond." She said softly, taking his arm as shock swept across his face. "He can't remember much it seems, save his own name." She took the barstool next to him. "He doesn't even remember how he arrived here, nor Legion or Rider or much else."

"No." He breathed, devastated that they should twice be sent messages by his old friend and twice denied the meaning of them. He put an arm around Red, hugging her as he saw his own loss mirrored on her face. "We'll find him, girl." He said then, filling his voice with certainty for them both. Red closed her eyes on a small laugh.

"That's almost exactly what I told Phillip." She looked up at her friend with damp eyes. "We will find him." She sighed then. "I miss him, Grond."

"I know, lass." He hugged her close once more, suffering with her. Red rested her head on his shoulder and then began to chuckle to his surprise.

"You'll need to watch our Lily." She said, raising her head and giving him a wink. "She's a bit of a crush I think on Phillip."

Grond gaped, then turned thoughtful and finally laughed, slapping his leg with humor. "That explains it then. She spent near an hour arranging that bloody plate of cheese!" He clapped Red on the shoulder, sending her forward with the force of it. She smiled ruefully and then more broadly when she saw Phillip on the stairs.

"Good morning." Red greeted him. "Welcome to the Tavern." She gestured him over to the hearth as Grond took three mugs of Cider from the bar and followed them. He handed one to each and sat himself, studying Phillip.

"Do you remember me, boy? From earlier?" Grond asked, curious, for he had woken briefly while Grond dressed his wounds. Phillip nodded, sipping his cider and smiling broadly at the flavor.

"Aye, sir I do, I think." He frowned. "It's a bit fuzzy."

"Bound to be." Grond agreed. "You were a mess."

Phillip laughed lightly and then looked a bit embarrassed. "Sir?"

"Grond lad, never Sir." He laughed. "Makes me sound official."

"Grond then." Phillip started again. "My weapons, my swords, were they with me when I...arrived?"

"You remember those?" Grond asked, surprised. Phillip nodded. "That's a good sign then!" Grond called Arlow over and after a short exchange in which Arlow left, he returned quickly with two sheathes in his hands. Phillip brightened on seeing them and took them eagerly.

"Thank you, Si...Grond." He said with a grin. "I'd hate to have lost them."

Late in the afternoon, Grond and Red sat at a corner table in the tap room. Their drinks untouched, they stared into them, keeping each other company without a word as they worried for Rider. Lily came down the stairs and saw them across the room. Their somber faces stopped her on the stairs and she leaned against the wood grain of the wall, watching. She knew they were concerned for this Rider friend of theirs and that Phillip had given them a moments hope before learning he remembered nothing. The loss of that hope had affected them more deeply than she'd thought. Her heart twisted for Grond. Though he often drove her mad fathering her, she appreciated the affection he felt for her. She smirked, wondering if he would be amused that she often felt the need to care for him.

Arlow drew her attention. He stood at the bar, peeling and preparing tubers and other vegetables for dinner later. As she watched him work, an idea began to form in her mind. Things were entirely too glum all of a sudden. They had saved the Tavern and a whole village and instead of celebrating, they were mired in worry and loss. Lily turned and ran softly back up the stairs, unseen by them. She knew what she wanted to do then. A party. The idea made her grin as she went to her room and gathered what she'd need for a hard ride. As she went down the hall toward the back of the Tavern, she passed Phillip's room.

His door was open and he sat on the edge of his bed, honing the edges of his matched swords with a very serious exp​ression on his face. No doubt suffering over the loss of his memory. Lily stopped, watching him as her face flushed a bit and decided he too could use a distraction. She tapped lightly on the open door, seeing him look up and smiled at him.

"I need to pay a visit to a nearby Village and Cape Town." She gestured at his swords. "I could use some company, if you'd like to get out of here for a bit."

He studied her face, seeing the slight flush to her cheeks as he remembered what Red had told him earlier. He smiled and rose, sliding the swords into their sheaths. "I'd be happy to." He replied and in truth, he could use the distraction from his own thoughts. That he couldn't remember what Red needed to find her friend was eating at him. He went out the door with Lily and smiled as she giggled softly. When they reached the top of the stairs, she stopped, biting her bottom lip in thought.

"We need a distraction. Wait here." She said with such authority, he stifled a chuckle. For such a young girl, she certainly had a strength about her. She went quickly back the way they had come and several minutes later returned with another boy in tow. This one looked to be nearer his own age and smiled hesitantly at him.

"You're Phillip." The young man sad, holding out his hand. "I'm Echo. Rider's a friend of mine as well." Phillip shook his hand, feeling another pang of guilt. Here was another who needed him to remember but Echo smiled. "Lily here filled me in. I can keep them busy." and he danced down the stairs ahead of them.

"Keep who busy?" He asked Lily. She grinned impudently and, when she heard laughter below, motioned him to follow her down the stairs. As they reached the bottom, Phillip saw Echo was doing something on Red and Grond's table involving cheese and he seemed to be asking Red for fire. Lily led them quickly outside and Red and Grond, turned away from them by Echo, never saw.

Outside, Lily led them quickly to the stables, going to her own horse. "Do you have a horse of your own?" She asked suddenly, concerned. She turned to find Phillip studying the great black horse from the night before, the one Grond said belonged to his friend. The horse seemed to study him in return. Phillip held his hand out to the stallion and grinned with pleasure when he instead butted him gently in the chest.

"I can ride Legion. I think." He said with a half laugh. He quickly saddled him and, taking a breath, jumped into the saddle. Legion danced a bit beneath him but didn't seem to mind him there, prompting another grin. "Let's be off then!"

Lily laughed, mounting her own horse and followed him into the yard. She took the lead then, riding out to the road. "We'll head to Udolf first I think. Failan will want to come for Grond." She said surely. She was determined now to have Failan and Red's Garrulf there as well for the party she was now planning.

As Lily and Phillip rode towards Udolf, she told him the story of the werewolves, their quests and all that had happened. Phillip listened wide eyed, impressed with the girl and with those at the Tavern.

"So, Failan is Grond's...what?" He asked, trying to keep the relationships straight as Lily talked.

"Oh his friend." She said airily and winked at him. "I'd stay away from the hot springs behind the Tavern when she visits." Phillip had no idea what she meant but smiled for her.

"And why are we going to Cape Town?" For that was the other stop she had mentioned.

"That's where Garrulf is, I think." She frowned here. "At least that's where she said he was last I knew." She kicked her horse into a faster gait, one Legion easily met. "We should hurry if we want to reach both and be back to the Tavern before they miss us."

"Who is Garrulf?" He asked her and she laughed.

"A dragon hunter!" She replied with a grin. "He's a soft spot for Red. She needs him like Grond needs Failan." She said more softly. "They need to be happy again."

"Right." Phillip said in a defeated voice, reminded once more that their current sorrow was his fault. He startled when Lily reached across to slap his arm.

"It's not your fault so you can just stop thinking that right now." Her voice was firm though her eyes were kind. "I shouldn't have said any of that, I'm sorry. It was silly of me." She smiled more warmly at him. "You need a party just as much as they do you know."

He laughed, amused at the older, more adult voice coming from such a young girl. "You're right of course." Lily nodded sagely, forcing him to swallow another laugh. They rode quickly across the plain leading to the forests around Udolf. They were quickly among them and Lily rode fearlessly through the woods that had run with werewolves not so long ago. In short order, they came to Udolf and Lily led Phillip to the Meade Hall. Several villagers were working outside, repairing damage done to the village by the wolves and waved happily to Lily.

"Come on." She slid from her horses back as Phillip did his. "She'll be in the hall I imagine." and led him into the massive hall. Inside, several villagers and Failan were bent over papers and maps spread out on the long table, discussing repairs. When Failan saw her she smiled broadly and quickly came to grab Lily up in a hug.

"What are you doing here?" Failan asked, setting the girl back on her feet and eying Phillip.

"This is Phillip." Lily introduced. He gave a startled bow to the beautiful woman and she laughed heartily.

"Such manners." She offered her hand then and shook his firmly before turning back to Lily. "What can Udolf do for you? You have only to ask."

Lily told Failan of Phillip's coming, during which he squirmed under her sharp scrutiny, and of her plans for a party to relieve the depression of her friends.

"You truly remember nothing?" Failan asked softly, pity in her eyes. Phillip nodded.

"Not a thing about how I got here, or this Rider and little else. I'm sorry."

Failan placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "You've nothing to apologize for. It sounds like you had quite the ordeal." She turned back to Lily with a happy grin. "Of course I'll come. Can't have my Grond moping about the Tavern, nor Red either for that matter."

"Oh wonderful!" Lily laughed, clapping her hands. "Now we just need to find Garrulf in Cape Town." She said to Phillip and frowned when Failan let out a great laugh.

"T'would be a worthless trip indeed should you go all that way only to find him gone." She laughed again. "He's here, child." With that, she turned and asked one of her people to fetch him. "He turned up this morning. He and his men. Seems they heard tales of Werewolves up here and came to aid us rather than head into the West Weald."

Garrulf arrived then, ducking his head to come through the door. On seeing Lily he grinned widely as she cheered. "And what are you doing out in these parts without Grond or Red?" He asked, wagging a finger at her. "Surely this boy's not all the protection you brought."

Lily bristled. "I'm quite capable of caring for myself you know." She said haughtily, reminded of Grond. She told Garrulf the tale she had told Failan.

"My Red? Glumming about the place?" He raised his eyebrows and smiled at Failan. "Oh I think not. A party it is. The West Weald can wait a bit more."

"Then we should leave at once." Failan said. "We should reach the Tavern by nightfall or you two may be missed." She smiled to take the sting from the reprimand and Lily laughed.

"I suppose we will be."

"Come lad." Garrulf clapped Phillip on the shoulder. "Ride beside me and we'll talk on the way back. I've a mind to hear what you do recall."

"Garrulf..." Lily started to warn him off but Phillip shook his head.

"It's alright Lily. I don't mind." He smiled up at the man, just a touch jealous he had Red's affections, and liked him instantly. Garrulf, being wiser than he let on, divined some of that from Phillip's face and laughed.

"Let's off then." He strode from the hall, calling for his horse as Failan did hers. "My men will stay and help with the rebuilding."

"And we appreciate it." Failan replied gladly. "We're so few now." A moment of sadness crossed her face for all those villagers she'd lost to the witch. She pushed it away, focusing instead on how she would cheer up Grond. That thought put a different smile on her face and she mounted the horse brought her humming to herself. Garrulf had a similar look and jumped into his saddle, eager to see green eyes and red hair once more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red shook her head, amused despite her low mood. Echo had pestered her to use her magic on his cheese until finally, in a fit of irritation, she had summoned just enough magic to not only set alight as he'd requested but to melt it in a stinky river off the table. Grond had laughed fit to raise the roof as Echo'd cried in dismay, though even that did not lift the sadness that hounded his eyes as it did Red's. In truth, as she thought about it, the same sadness had been present in Echo's eyes. She sighed heavily. There seemed little escape from the knowledge they could do nothing for Rider.

She'd gone out the back of the Tavern and headed into the stables to tend her horse. The simple act of brushing Savior often gave her peace when she was troubled. She brushed his coat firmly, hearing the pleased snorts from him and chuckled. Legion had not been in the stable when she'd entered. She assumed he'd left to return to his Rider and frowned once more. There was one beast who alone knew where he'd come from. If only he could speak, she thought.

The light was fading into dusk and the torches had yet to be lit in the stables. She brushed Savior in the semi dark and smirked when she heard Grond calling for Lily. No doubt she'd wandered off somewhere on her own again and would turn up only when she pleased. Grond had taken a handful in adopting the girl though he seemed to love every second. Red gasped suddenly as strong arms grabbed her from behind, raising her from the floor and covering her mouth. In a panic, she remembered the day she'd been taken from the Tavern and began calling her magic.

"Beautiful assassins should never be left alone with their sadness." A familiar voice breathed in her ear and she grinned beneath the hand even as she fought to quell the magic she'd called. She was set on her feet and turned to find Garrulf's face smiling down at her.

"Garrulf." She whispered and threw her arms around him as he crushed her in a hug. She was ecstatic to see him and terrified of how close she'd come to killing him in her fear. He felt her shivering and rubbed her back, murmuring nonsense to her as she calmed. She looked up at him finally with a happy smile. "What are you doing here?"

"Ah now that would be telling." He chuckled when she scowled at him. "Even you must like a surprise now and then."

"Have you been..." She started to ask if he'd been to the West Weald but he shook his head sadly.

"We've not left. We heard of a werewolf infestation in these parts and took a detour to a little village north of here."

"Udolf." She said, disappointed once more. He kissed her forehead, then resting his cheek on her hair.

"I'm sorry I've naught to tell you." He said softly, sensing her sadness. "I hear you've had more than your share of that today." He pulled her from Savior's stall then. "Come on lady thief. I've a thirst for a drink." He led her from the stables in the curve of his arm and she stopped, mouth gaping when they emerged. Grond stood with Failan wrapped around him in a public display that made even Red blush as she laughed.

"I'm not the only one who gets a surprise." She looked up at Garrulf with a grin and then whistled loudly at Grond. "Oy! Keep your greaves on this time!"

Grond broke from Failan with a shameless grin as they laughed. He eyed Garrulf with a measuring look and Failan slapped his chest firmly. "No wrestling matches." She ordered and he chuckled, swinging her into his arms again.

"You're lucky dragon breath." Grond called over his shoulder as he headed for the Tavern. "You've been spared another embarrassment."

Grond growled a laugh, pulling Red with him to follow. "Tis you who's lucky your woman didn't see me clean the streets of Sutch with that scruffy face of yours." Red burst into happy laughter as they entered the Tavern, still trading jibes.

There came a comforting silence to the Tavern that day, broken by an occasional joyful throaty shout, one which would come from the rooms above or the basement beneath. Arlow went about his duties; the cooks and Wilson prepared dishes for the party which would begin come nightfall; and each of their faces turned towards the sounds when they came, wide grins and shaking of heads their response. The common room sat mostly empty but for brief interruptions: the occasional hungry traveler, a lone Imperial Forester taking a break from patrol, or at those times when Arwin or Echo, Garulf or Grond was sent for a delicacy.

For Luba had seen that Failan had left Udolf with Lily, and she had overheard their conversation, so she had spent quite some time pleading with her father to have leave to follow them. He had relented, so Luba had raced to the Tavern upon her bay horse, to meet with Echo there. Arwin too, had returned with his friend Jean, and they reported that they could find no more werewolves within many leagues of Sutch County - they were certain that all of the Followers of the Black Wolf, and Adrasta, had been destroyed. Arwin was honored when he was given the rooms once occupied by Sir William, but he and Jean did not at first go there. Taking Jean's hand the Altmer lead her to the back door of the Tavern, and gave a word of warning to Arlow, to be issued to any who ventured out that way - the hot springs were occupied.

Phillip remained within his room and slept soundly that day. His dreams were red with blood and battle, and within them he saw a cloaked man on a black steed, but at those times when he awoke, Phillip could not recall the man's face, nor any other detail of his dreams.

Lily too remained in her room, for she was busy with a pair of shears and a length of black and gold hide, which she had brought with her all the way from Hammerfell.

As the light of the late afternoon sun cast golden shafts through the windows of the common room, Red stepped slowly down the stairs. Her flaming hair was in disarray, and her limp described some injury - but her wide smile, and Garulf's hand upon her shoulders as he followed her down, appeared to nullify, or modify, that description. The smiling pair filled tankards and sat near the fire. They sat close to each other for some time.

Then the door to the basement opened and Failan emerged. Behind her came Grond. The dark haired Nord sat by the pair at the fireplace, while Grond drew two dark pints and, as he came to join them, he shouted, "Well, well! Look who's here by the fire first! Tell me, friend Garulf," the Nord sat and squeezed Garulf's thick arm, "are you well? Do you mayhap need a poultice? I have a potion downstairs which could lend you some endurance!"

Garulf shook away Grond's arm and replied, "I need nothing, unlike you!"

Laying a hand on Red's shoulder, Grond smiled and said, "I'm sorry, dear Red - can you tell me just how many elixirs this old Grahl fart had to take this day?"

"Shutup you idiot," replied Red, smiling harshly. She and Failan shared a look of smiling disgust.

"Ha!" exclaimed Garulf. "That's it! My Red has a keen eye! Sit, Sir Idiot, and be quiet! Your betters are having a drink!"

In response, Grond pulled hard on Garulf's chair, and chair and Nord crashed down, and Garulf rolled away and came to his feet. Before the two Nords were able to cause further ruckus, Red stood and shouted, "Enough! You're both idiots! Equally! Let's not view your competition for biggest idiot! Sit! Down!"

And the Nords obliged, but as Grond took his seat, Garulf slapped the back of his head, and Grond would have commenced what he had planned, but for a steely look and a pointed finger by both Failan and Red. Sheepishly, Grond sat, and he took the proffered pint from Failan's hand and, with exaggerated daintiness, the Nord took a small sip. Smacking his lips too loudly, Grond announced, "Garulf, son of Galth, has a pair of Hollyberries in his greaves!" At the announcement, Failan punched Grond's shoulder.

Garulf stood then, despite Red's half-hearted smiling efforts to restrain him. "One and all!" he shouted, hoisting his tankard on high, "Grond, son of Roland, is hung like a Horker!"

At this, everyone, including Grond, laughed heartily, and there was a time of peace between the two Nords, where they drank Mead and Stout, and talked of adventure. During this time, Tajo came inside, and went to her room. Wilson, she said, had taken his leave, as the Clannfear did on occasion. "He will return. He s hunting," said the serious woman. Arwin and Jean came inside also, and raced each other through the common room and up the stair with only a wave at the group by the fire. Their laughter echoed through the Tavern.

Then Lily came down the stair. Grond was taken aback, for the girl had on the thing she had created. She stopped at the bar and fetched a flagon of cider for herself, and with mighty happiness, strode toward the group by the fire, as they stared at her. The dress she had made was striped with the black and gold of the beast they had killed in Hammerfell, and there was white lace attached to it for sleeves, and it clung to her slender form like a second skin. Its lower hem was very short - too short, thought Grond - but the others there looked at the girl with admiring eyes, and Red and Failan received her with approving voices. Lily came to them smiling, and Garulf whistled loudly. "Watch yerself, Garulf," said Grond, and the other Nord relented, smiling at Grond's paternal sincerity.

"What in the name of Sten-" Grond began, but he was cut off by Red, who exclaimed loudly, "What a beautiful dress you've made, Lily! Don't you think so, Grond?" Red stared at Grond until the Nord sighed. Lily too stared at the Nord. Then Grond, with furrowed brow, made a twirling motion with his finger. Lily spun slowly round and watched the Nord with eyebrows raised.

Grond opened his arms and Lily went to him. "It's the most wondrous thing I've ever seen," said the Nord. And he saw Red's approving smile as he hugged Lily, but the girl soon broke the embrace. "Mind the dress!" she said.

Some time later, the Tavern filled, and the party began.

At last it was done, the service rendered, the contract complete. There was only one thing to do now, only one thing to do�

The battle had been fierce, a battle of the gods!

The two had survived, they had won but at what a cost? They were both near death and death would have been welcome after what they had been through, but something kept them going, something deep inside themselves kept them moving forward, towards a destination.

The ground was far below them and yet they did not fall towards it. The power that once infused them from their god was fading quickly, their wounds were great as was the pain of life. It would have been easier to just drop to the ground and end the torment, but they had agreed to try and make it, to make it home where their friends were.

A cursed magic had enabled them to share their empathy, to share their thoughts and powers. That alone had helped them defeat their foes but it had cost them much.

Their powers were near exhausted as they flew lower to the ground, quietly gliding downward towards their destination.

Just west of Kvatch a golden dragon glided over the treetops with a lone female rider barely holding onto its neck. With their strength and endurance finally depleted the dragon dipped lower and slammed into the trees below causing a great crashing noise which reverberated through the wilderness. The sounds quickly reached a nearby Tavern where a party was currently in progress amid much song and dance.

If anyone had been around to witness it, they would have then seen the golden dragon transform back into a man, a man of golden hue like the dragon had been. The rider, a Woodelf woman also lay in the wreckage of the broken trees along side the man. They lay there unconscious and near death, a death they would gladly accept together as one.

The gods had used them, they had been their unwitting pawns thinking they were doing good. The dreams of their unconscious minds tried to process the horrors they had been through as blood flowed from their many wounds. Slowly, another old magic, an ancient ring struggled to heal their wounds, to keep them from death�s door.

All was quiet in the forest once more, the broken and shattered trees stood as a stark monument to the force of the giant dragon crashing into them.

The party was in full swing in no time. A few members of the Kvatch County Chorus arrived bringing, lutes, drums, and fine voices into main hall playing one jolly tune after another. Arlow and the kitchen staff piled as much food and drink onto the bar as the hard oak could manage. Garulf slid the tables aside as he drew Red into his arms to dance along. Echo and Luba lingered near the food laden bar, her eyes glazed over dreamily with infatuation as Echo described in detail one morsel after another, where it came from, the various textures, and smells. Red's infectious laughter filled the tavern as her Nordic dragon hunter spun her around and around. Not one to be outdone, Grond snatched Failan by the hand.

"A dance M'lady?" he said as if asking, but fairly dragging her onto the dance floor and into a hearty jig as the band picked up their tempo. Failan meant to protest, but there was something intoxicating about being swung around the room by a genuine brute. Her own laughter soon joined with Red's. As time passed, more guests arrived from nearby settlements and the tavern was at last filled once more with joy and merriment. Lily watched as others joined in the dancing. The room was bursting with music, friendship, conversation, and good food. It was all she could have hoped for. Her eyes lifted to the stairs; despite the success of her party she couldn't feel happiness herself. She slipped through the crowd and up the stairs to Phillip's room. When she tapped at the doorframe, no answer came from within. Slowly, Lily turned the knob and entered the room; her heart fell to find it empty.

Lily hurried downstairs, her first thought was to tell Grond, yet when she saw the fun he was having she couldn't bring herself to return her new father to his earlier melancholy. She decided to search for Phillip on her own. She slipped outside unnoticed and into the tavern yard. A cool wind was blowing from the north fields and, save for the music and merriment inside the tavern, the night was still and clear.

"Phillip!" she called his name, listening for him to answer. Only silence greeted her. The light in the stables drew her inside. Perhaps he had gone to visit Legion. The warm glow of the stable lanterns greeted her as she drew open the large door. Red's horse Savior poked his head around the corner of his stall, munching on some hay; he grunted at her curiously. Legion was also in his stall, along with the other mounts.

Tajomaki appeared silently beside her, startling the girl. Lily jumped away and clutched her racing heart, "You - you scared me!" Lily stuttered out.

Tajomaki almost smiled but the mysterious women simply looked at her as if waiting for Lily say something further.

"Have you seen Phillip?" she asked after a moment, "The boy from the tavern?"

"I have only seen you," the dark woman answered evenly.

Lily nodded and backed out toward the door, "Oh, okay. Sorry if I bothered you, Tajomaki," she said as politely as she could, "Goodnight."

Lilly started to close the door by Tajomaki's quiet voice floated through the opening, "Nice dress.

Such modest praise and yet Lily's heart leapt. She was sure Tajomaki didn't care for her or her sometimes youthful exuberance. She forced her voice to be calm, "Thank you." She replied, closing the door and heading back up to the tavern. She didn't realize how cold the night was until her teeth started to chatter as she reached the tavern door. Garulf was standing on the doorstep smoking a long pipe and staring up at the stars as she approached.

"Cold night to be out in only your party dress," the Nord noted, "If we were in Skyrim you'd be frozen solid by now."

"I know," Lily tried to force herself to stop shivering.

Garulf exhaled a long puff of smoke, "What were you doing out here anyway? Grond's been calling for ye."

Lily's first thought was to conjure some lie, but the truth seemed a faster route to getting around the unofficial tavern sentry and out of the cold, "I was looking for Phillip. He's not in his room, or the stable, I was worried about him."

Garulf nodded thoughtfully, "Well, you go on inside, I'll take a look around and see if I can't find the lad. Get yourself warm and let old Grond know you're alright. Go on then," he shifted aside to let her pass into the tavern. Once she was safe inside he tapped out his pipe, tucked it into the folds of his coat and headed toward the lower field. He hadn't been a boy for many moons, but he still knew what it was like to be so young and to feel as though the weight of the world itself was crashing down upon you.

His instincts weren't off; the dragon hunter was able to root out Phillip's trail through the long grass of the field. He found the boy sitting on the remnants of an old wooden border fence at the far end of the tavern's land. From the fence line the whole world seemed to open before them and on such a clear night the sounds and smells of the sea carried on the cool winds. Garulf came up to Phillip and leaned on the fence beside him. Phillip�s eyes were on some distant spot in the east.

"Looking toward the Weald?" Garulf asked.

"No," Phillip replied, "there's smoke in that vale, just over the first rise."

Garulf looked as Phillip pointed to a large billow of smoke blooming in the distance, "Good eye," the Nord answered, "Might have to take a ride out there and have a look around," he gave the young man a roguish grin, "Could be dragons!"

Phillip shook his head at Garulf's sudden enthusiasm.

"Aye, there's nothing like the stink of a dragon, like bathing in its drool to know you're alive!"

Phillip jumped down from the fence as Garulf's leaning on it was causing it to sway, "Sure, until it eats you."

"Oh, no," Garulf's face fell slightly, "There is that, better to die by his claw than digesting slowly in his belly me father used to say!"

Phillip laughed despite his troubled mood, "Is that why Nords sleep with their weapons?"

Garulf roared with laughter and clapped Phillip on the back, "No Lad, we sleep with our weapons so we don't have to sleep with our wives! Have you never seen a Nord woman!? I would take the fiercest dragon over a Nord woman any day. A real nasty one with curling black wings and eyes as black as death!"

Garulf began to describe the dragon of his own nightmares with talons longer than a man and a heart as cold as ice. As he painted a glorious image with word and his usual boisterous manner he was unaware that Phillip was no longer sharing in the playful banter, but had begun to back away, his eyes wide. Garulf's hands were raised overhead, "And she'd swoop down on ye with a roar that would steal your very soul!" he stopped. At last he noticed the fear on the boy's face, "Hey," he said gently, "You alright lad?"

Phillip's breath had quickened, his heart was pounding as if he had just awoken from a dream, but like a dream he couldn't point his finger on what had scared him so badly, "I'm alright."

"You look pale," Garulf said stepping toward him, "Maybe you should sit down."

"I. . . I'm tired is all," Phillip tried to explain, more for himself than for Garulf. He sat down and leaned back against the fence. Garulf crouched beside him watching him. He hadn't meant to frighten the boy, only to snap him out of his gloom with the stories of adventure and dragons that spun the boys in the towns back home. This boy was different, scarred somehow, and the Nord knew he was ill equipped to help him. Unlike Grond, fatherhood was never his calling.

"Why would I be looking toward the Weald?" Phillip asked suddenly.

"Oi?"

"Before, you asked if I was looking toward the Weald - why?"

"Oh well, I thought that's where you seem to come from; thought maybe you were feeling homesick," Garulf explained.

Phillip didn't answer at first; Garulf feared he had upset him further, "It's strange. To long for a place I can't remember," the boy admitted finally, "That is why I came outside tonight. I was thinking, maybe if I went there I could remember why I came here."

"Aye you might at that," Garulf agreed, "But if you have come here for a purpose, would you want to return without having fulfilled it?"

"No," Phillip replied, "I guess not."

"Then you have to see this thing through," Garulf said simply, "I don't know the man, but I do know the legend. If Rider sent you, then you have an important quest to complete."

"I know," the boy sighed, "I just wish I could remember what it was."

Garulf stood up and pulled Phillip up along with him, "Come on, it's cold out here. Nothing to dwell on but your missing past. Get some food and some rum in your belly, the smile of a pretty young maid in your heart, and let your poor mind have time to mend," he said, pushing the boy toward the tavern. Phillip seemed to surrender and headed up the hill, but Garulf felt a pang of guilt as he followed, uncertain if his advice was for Phillip's gain, or his own escape from being the wizened elder.

Red met them in the door with Lily who quickly took Phillips chilled hands in her own. "You're frozen through." She said with a tsk. "We'll get you some Rum I think." Lily pulled him away and he looked back over his shoulder at Garrulf and Red with a smirk. Red chuckled and then turned back to the door.

"Is that smoke over the rise?" She stepped outside to get a better look and Garrulf wrapped his arms around her shoulders as she shivered.

"Aye, the boy spotted it as well." He dropped his chin atop her head and swayed them gently to the music behind them. "Want to go check it out?" He said with a chuckle. "I could stand a bit of peace and quiet."

Red laughed with him, settling into his arms. "That sounds wonderful." She watched the smoke curling above the tree tops and turned in his arms, placing a chaste kiss on his nose. He snorted and grabbed her chin as she giggled.

"Go get your coat wench." He growled and kissed her properly. "Have to keep you warm out there."

She muttered at him as he pushed her back inside. "No worries there." and went to collect her furred long coat from her room. She met him outside once more and found he'd saddled both their horses. With a grin, she swung up into Savior's saddle and kneed him into a quick gait.

"Any questions from that lot?" Garrulf asked, hooking a thumb behind them. She laughed.

"Never even saw me leave. Grond's still spinning Failan about the floor like a sack of potatoes and Lily was doing her best to pull Phillip into the fray." They laughed companionably as they rode side by side beyond the Tavern and toward the smoke. Red pulled her furred coat more closely about her against the night's chill. She was determined that her weakness to cold would not force her inside on cold nights like a child. She was glad Garrulf was unaware how severe the weakness was else he never would have let her come. She smirked at that. He would have tried, she amended, and failed.

"Just over that rise." Garrulf said, breaking her train of thought. She looked and indeed, the smoke was much closer.

"Leave the horses." Red ordered, pulling Savior into a small copse of trees and dismounting as Garrulf did. "I'd prefer to get my first look at whatever it is without being seen." She grinned at him in the dark and he chuckled, pulling her into a kiss.

"I do love to watch you work." He said softly and she pushed him away with a laugh.

"No playing around when we're being stealthy." She went into the woods ahead of him and he nodded, satisfied. He'd seen her shivering in the saddle. The kiss had been an excuse to offer her some warmth. He followed her through the dim trunks, marveling at the soundless, almost ethereal quality of her movements. She barely seemed to tread on the fallen leaves beneath their feet. He was no novice himself and easily trailed her. After a time, she motioned him forward. They had reached the edge of the treeline at some rough clearing. It looked as though something massive had crashed into the forest, flattening the trees in its' wake.

A moment later, one of the moons broke free of it's cloud cover and washed the clearing in silvery light, bringing the devastation to life. Red gave a sudden gasp and, not waiting for Garrulf, she threw stealth aside and sprinted to the center of the impact. She had seen two forms laying motionless but without the moon's light, had been unable to make them out. There was only one suit of armor that would gleam golden so in the night and her heart raced as she did, hoping it was not death that kept her friends so still.

Red slid to a stop beside William. She rolled him over with gentle hands, stifling a sob as he went bonelessly over and revealed the many wounds and blood that decorated him. Sherena lay beside him, her bruised and battered face turned up to the light.

"Are they dead?" Garrulf asked quietly, going to Sherena.

Red placed a shaking hand on Will's neck and now did sob. "No. They're alive." She knew if he was, so would Sherena be and Garrulf nodded to confirm that as he checked her throat for a pulse.

"They're in a bad way." He saw a multitude of vicious wounds on both and wondered that they had survived the fall. He looked round the crushed and trampled clearing once more and knew suddenly what had caused it. Red moved so she sat between them, swallowing her fear for them, and placed a hand on the chest of each. She looked up at Garrulf then.

"If I go...wrong, promise me you'll run." She warned him. Her near mistake in the stables earlier and the way her magic sometimes ruled her scared her for him. He opened his mouth to argue and she shook her head. "I mean it. I wont know you. I could kill you."

He studied her face, seeing that she meant it, and seeing the fear. He nodded. "Alright." He said finally and moved away as she bowed her head.

Red called her magic to her. She could feel suddenly the weakening life forces of both her friends. They were failing even as she felt a small magic doing it's best to heal them. The damage was simply to great for it and Red knew they had arrived not a moment too soon. The power flooded up and into William and Sherena. The wounds cut at her as she healed them, feeling each slice, bruise and broken bone. She forced the power deeper, healing them as fast as she dared for the fear of losing them if she held herself back. They strengthened beneath her hands. She felt their hearts beat more strongly, almost in unison, felt them take deeper, pain free breaths. She felt when Williams eyes jerked open in the moonlight.

His own magic woke as well, vying with Red's and she fell back with a cry as it forced her out. William rolled to his side, seeing Sherena sleeping peacefully now. "Red?" He managed, still weak despite the healing and found her watching them from her knees, eyes glowing brightly with the blood red color he'd seen before. Another man was in the clearing with them and he moved as if going to her. Will snaked a hand out, catching his arm. "No." He used the arm to pull himself to his feet, recognizing Garrulf with a start. "Stay back." Garrulf pulled him straight with eyes only for Red.

"What's happening to her?" Garrulf asked as Red's altered eyes watched every movement they made and he felt suddenly that it was not his Red looking back at him.

"She's lost in the magic." Will replied, moving Garrulf firmly behind him. "Red." He said her name firmly, drawing her gaze to him. Her face frowned, as if confused. Deep inside, she felt as though she knew the golden man and tried to remember through the power. "Red come back now." Will went to her, dropping to his knees before her. She reached out to take his arm and he let her, knowing she could not hurt him. Flames blew out from her hand, running up his arm and he jumped as he felt the heat. Though it did not harm him, he could feel the flames and that had never happened before. He pushed aside his own confusion to reach her and called his own magic again as golden flames ran along his body. Where they met, her own fires were pushed back. "It's Will, Red. Time to come back."

Will watched as green bled into her eyes once more and finally, it was Red looking back at him. With a sob, she extinguished her magic and threw her arms about him, hugging him fiercely. "Thank you." She gasped against his shoulder. She pulled back to look at him and then smiled. "You're alright. Both of you."

He nodded, coming to his feet and bringing Red with him. "Thanks to you and Garrulf." He went immediately to Sherena as Garrulf stepped beside Red. He reached a hesitant hand out to her, taking her chin and staring into her eyes.

"Now I understand." He said softly and pulled her into his arms, holding her fiercely. She shook and turned her face up for a kiss.

"I'm sorry." She breathed against his lips. He shook his head.

"Don't be sorry for that." Garrulf smiled at her. "Strong magics seem to follow the lot of you." They looked back to find William had Sherena in his arms. The few wounds Red had not had time to heal were closing before their eyes. Her eyes fluttered open, smiling first at her beloved and then more broadly when she saw Red.

"We made it." She said softly and, crying, buried her head in Will's chest. He spoke softly to her for several minutes and finally helped her to her feet.

"How close are we to the Tavern?" Will asked then, looking round and seeing nothing familiar.

"But a half hour's ride to the west." Red said with a grin. Garrulf began rubbing her arms, distracting her.

"You're still shaking." He said. She realized she was and felt the cold eating into her along with the exhaustion of using so much of her magic.

"It's nothing." She went to Will and Sherena and pulled them both into a hug and they laughed. "I'm glad you're back." She said in a watery voice and then pulled back to look at them. "You are back, aren't you? You're not leaving again?"

Will looked at Sherena very seriously, as she did him. "No, we wont be leaving again." A multitude of looks passed across their faces, none of them happy and Red wondered had happened to bring them to this. She hugged them again, knowing they would tell the tale in their own time.

"We should get back." Red said then. "There's a party tonight as it happens." She grinned up at them. "Now it will have an even better reason!"

Will and Sherena laughed and stepped away, summoning their horses which appeared in their customary puffs of smoke. Garrulf barked a laugh.

"Can't do anything the normal the way, the lot of you." He draped an arm around Red's shoulders, offering her warmth and led her out of the clearing as he called over �his shoulder. "Our horses are back this way."

They soon reached the horses and Garrulf frowned when Red all but struggled into her saddle. Exhaustion lined her face and she was shivering in earnest now. He caught Will watching her too and they exchanged a nod, silently agreeing to make the return trip a fast one. Will gave his demon mount a strong kick and shot off into the night. The other horses followed quickly and they galloped through the trees, heading for the Tavern and home. Exhausted and weakened as she was, Red didn't notice Will and Garrulf pacing her on either side, as if ready to catch her should she fall.

Even as she suffered with the cold and fatigue, Red laughed. Though Rider was not yet returned to them, that Will and Sherena had found their way back gave her hope. They would yet find a way to help Rider, she knew it and held that thought close to warm her as they rode hard through the cold night.

William called a sudden halt as they rode towards the Tavern, Red had turned a shade of blue, the heat being blown from her as they rode quickly through the grassland. He was instantly off his horse and pulling Red off her before Garulf had a chance to dismount.

William cried out, �Red! Red?... What�s wrong?� He then looked at Garulf as Sherena came along side William. �Why is she so cold? What foul magic is this?� Red shook violently from the cold as William held her freezing body close to his.

Garulf came forward to help warm Red and answered, �It�s the cold, she seems to be affected by it severely now, it�s the foul fire magic she has!�

William held his hand up to Garulf, stopping him. �Stand back Garulf and take the horses with you. She will die if she is not warmed up now!�

Garulf quickly grabbed the reins of his and Red�s horse and lead them away not knowing what William had planned but he obeyed out of necessity. There was nothing he could do for Red at the moment.

Sherena had meanwhile gone to their own horses and pulled out a potion bottle and quickly handed it to William with the cork pulled. He quickly drank the entire contents of the bottle and then looked down at Red. The magicka restoration potion infused them both with power, power that they had lost in the battle and the flight back to the Tavern.

Garulf watched as a golden fire flickered around the edges of William and suddenly burst in a silent flame engulfing his entire body. He could feel the immense heat from that eerie silent golden fire as it lit up the pasture they were in for several dozen yards all around. The flames also engulfed Sherena which turned a purple color, the gold and purple flames mixed and danced around them and finally engulfed Red in their heat and light.

The grasses quickly burned in a wide circle around the three but did not catch the grasses outside their influence afire. A red flame suddenly leapt from Red and the three flames twisted and funneled into the dark night sky reaching for the heavens looking for all things like a pillar of burning fire, a beacon for all to see within miles.

Echo had been outside with Luba �talking� with her when they both looked up and saw the pillar of strange gold, red and purple flames. It appeared to be close to the Tavern and was unusual enough that they both decided to go find out what it was.

Something in the back of Echo�s mind recognized that strange coloring of fire but he was hesitant to ponder the implications of what it might mean. There had been a certain vampire lair that had been burnt to the ground by a similar looking fire. The two ran through the pasture towards the flaming pillar.

Red opened her eyes to see blinding flames circling her, flames of gold, purple and the familiar red she knew. The heat that it provided was exhilarating and welcome to the numbing cold that had gripped her.

She had tried to stop Savior but had frozen too quickly in the wind chill of riding their horses so fast through the cool night air. She then saw William looking down on her and was reminded of another time when he had done the same thing in a forest not so long ago. She had just about died from a dagger wound at that time.

Tears welled in her eyes as she really realized that William was back, that he was back for good this time. She sat up and saw Sherena holding her legs as purple flames surrounded her. The flames quickly went out including the red flames that surrounded her.

Red then realized that the red flame had not tried to take control of her when the gold and purple flames were there to contain it. She actually felt exhilarated from the power of that flame more than she was afraid of it. The three smiled at each other and they embraced in a group hug with Red in the center.

William now knew he would have to keep a close watch on Red and smiled, with his observant eagle eyes, there would be little she would be able to hide from him.

Both Sherena and William thanked Red again for her timely rescue of them from their �landing site�. They both then remembered the battle Akatosh had forced them to compete in and also remembered that after they won, he left them and took his presence and power from them without a thought for their grievous wounds or lack of power.

They had been used as pawns in the god�s game. They were simply tools that were discarded when the game was over. It was not something they would talk about anytime soon. But, perhaps just their closest friend Red could be told the tale of their adventure after leaving the Tavern a few weeks ago. It had seemed like years or months had passed instead of just weeks.

Now toasty warm, the four of them stood up as Echo and Luba approached them. Echo instantly recognized the two returning friends and jumped at them giving them both a great hug and exclaiming how happy he was to see them again!

They then mounted their horses, Echo and Luba rode on Garulf�s horse so that Garulf could ride with Red to keep her warm on the ride back. They then rode at a more leisurely pace back to the Tavern and the party that was going on inside.

Red excitedly told the tale of the werewolves and then talked about how the other friends at the Tavern would be glad to see them as well. The party would be much more enjoyable with old friends returning to them.

The group of friends was back at the Tavern in minutes. When Red would have stabled Savior herself, Garrulf took her shoulders firmly and turned her towards the Tavern's open door and gave her a push. "I'll see to them, you go get warm Lady thief." He grinned as she scowled at him and scowled harder still when Echo took her arm and began pulling her away like a child.

"If you weren't so young, Echo, I'd hurt you." She growled at him. He laughed, nodding happily and ignored the threat as he pulled her along. Will and Sherena laughed happily at Red's discomfort and followed the two inside. Once in the door, Red composed herself, studying the merriment and dancing still going on. With a grin, she clapped her hands together loudly as Echo let a piercing whistle. Everyone stopped, staring at them.

"We've found some more friends to join the party." She called into the silence and stepped aside with a theatric wave of her arm, revealing William and Sherena waiting behind her. For a moment there was silence and then Grond's voice bellowed out in a roar of welcome. He swept to the door and pulled Will and Sherena in, wrapping both in a rib cracking hug. He kissed Sherena lavishly and then, not to be outdone, grabbed Will and planted a similar kiss on his mouth while he sputtered and the watchers roared with laughter.

"Welcome back!" Grond grinned to split his face. "Arlow, ya scalawag, MEADE! Meade for our lost friends returned to us!"

Arlow appeared moments later, hands already laden with mugs for he'd begun pouring the moment he'd seen them. "Welcome back Sir William, Lady Sherena." He said in his quiet voice, passing them drinks. "It's good to have you home and whole."

Will took his mug eagerly and drained half the contents with a mock glare for Grond. "Foul taste in my mouth." He muttered and smirked. "It is good to be home." They were pulled into the room and towards the hearth. Sherena quickly took Red's hand, pulling her with them, and shamelessly sat her beside the fire with a stern look. For her, Red smiled and did not argue being 'managed'. Seeing the two so close to death had shaken her even as it gave her hope.

Garrulf returned, sitting on the arm of Red's chair with an arm draped about her. Echo and Lily were fast to ask Will and Sherena where they had been and how they'd returned. Instantly, Wills' face and Sherena's closed down, becoming somber. Red rescued them, having seen the condition they'd been in in the clearing. Red guessed whatever had happened had been difficult and painful.

"It's alright. You don't have to tell us." Red grinned at them. "We're just happy to have you back."

Will smiled gratefully at her and looked round at the people assembled, his brow creasing. "Where's Rider?" He asked then. "Has he not returned?"

Red and Grond's faces immediately fell even as Phillip groaned and stood from behind Lily to leave the group. She took his arm in a hasty move, pulling him back. "You've nothing to be guilty of." She whispered to him. "Stay, please." She had such compassion in her eyes, he relented and settled once more into his seat. He saw Garrulf give him a sunny smile and a nod and felt better.

"Rider is missing." Red said then, grateful the music had struck up once more and most of the party goers had returned to their fun. "We've had no word from him and are sure he's in some sort of trouble."

"That's why I thought of the party." Lily interrupted. "They were all so sad when Phillip here couldn't remember anything, and him too! So I thought a party would cheer everyone up." Will smiled kindly at her, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"You did well." He looked to the young man behind her. "And this is Phillip?" He asked. Red told him of Phillip's surprising arrival on Legion in the middle of the night and his amnesia. As Red told the tale, she was once more caught by Phillip's eyes, such a familiar blue and her heart ached once more for Rider as she stared into them. Will remembered then Serenity's surprising arrival before he and Sherena had left, how injured the falcon had been and the message destroyed upon her leg. He looked at Phillip once more. "You truly remember nothing?" Will turned to Red, raising a brow and she shook her head.

"I healed him but couldn't return his memory." She smiled gently at Phillip. "It's not that kind of injury."

Phillip stared at the floor, his party mood shattered as he felt the need of the people gathered around him. "I wish I could remember." He said softly. "I truly do. I can't even remember where I come from."

"Perhaps we'll find a way to jog your memory." Will offered. "A spell or potion perhaps. Grond?"

The Nord shook his head sadly. "I know of no potions that would do that safely and I wont risk the boys life to find Rider." Grond snorted a laugh. "Rider would never forgive me if I harmed his messenger."

"So magic then." Will said with a nod. "My powers are considerable, lad." He smiled once more at Phillip. "If you're willing, may I try to recover those memories for you?"

"That could be dangerous." Red touched his arm. "Are you sure?"

"What harm could it do?" He said with a shrug.

Phillip looked deeply into Will's kind eyes and, though he was frightened of what he would do, he wanted his memory restored. "Alright. Let's try this."

"We should retire to your room I think." William stood and Red came up with him.

"I'm coming." Red said firmly and took Phillip's arm as he headed for the stairs. He smiled and thanked her. Phillip felt better about what this William might do knowing Red would be there. Hers had been almost the first face he'd woken too and so, one of his earliest memories now. The three went upstairs while the others remained below. If the whole group had vanished in the middle of the party, there would have been questions. Lily looked longingly up the stairs after them. Grond had taken her shoulders with a shake of his head.

"Too many people in the room might make the boy nervous." He said with a laugh. "They'll call us if they need us." Though he too looked once up the stairs before yelling for Arlow and Meade once more and sitting by Sherena. "So, you two get married yet?" Grond asked with a wicked smile and made her blush.

---------------------

Upstairs, Phillip settled back onto his bed as Will sat beside him. Red stood at the foot of the bed, anxious for Will's magic to do what hers could not and worried for Phillip all at once.

William placed a hand on Phillip's temple and smiled to ease the boy's tension. "This shouldn't hurt." He said kindly. Truthfully, he was unsure if it would or not. He had once shared some of Red's memories but had never taken the time to learn how. That he was unsure how to recreate the effect made him wary as he called his magic forth. Phillip's eyes closed on a breath as he felt the power move into him. Will drifted for a few moments, trying to decide how to find his way into Phillip's thoughts. As he sought the key to the memories, he felt a sudden change in the magic, a shift and with a start, saw a flash of memory. Phillip standing in a dense forest, a falcon on his arm and a darkly cloaked man beside him. The memory blew away like sand and he sought to find more.

Red watched from the foot of the bed. Will's face was a study in concentration while Phillip began to look disturbed. His eyes squinted shut, breath coming faster. She wanted to ask what was happening but stayed silent for fear of breaking Will's trance.

William had found several more memories, still images from Phillips' past, a house, an older woman he took for his mother, a massive horse that could only be Legion but try as he might, he could not find the memories they most sought. He delved deeper into Phillip's mind, rooting through the thoughts he could find there, feeling a sweat break out on his skin. He pushed harder, knowing they were there if only he could find them. Without warning, another memory appeared, another still moment from the boy's life. This was Rider, standing on some sort of battlefield, sword in one hand and bow in the other. His face grim and, though Will could not understand why, angry. The memory vanished like the others and Will chased after it, feeling sure this was the information they sought.

Phillip thrashed suddenly in the bed, crying out as he felt William plunge deeply into his mind after some thought. The pain was immediate and huge. William too cried out beside him and then Red's voice was there and her warm hands on his face. "It's alright, Phillip." She said to him, soothing. "It's over." Will had stumbled back from the bed, hand to his head as he tried to quell the headache that threatened to beat his skull in two. Red felt a twin to his headache in Phillip and quickly called her own magic. She gently swept it into the boy, finding the pain and wiping it away. Phillip finally opened his eyes, tears falling from them to look up at her. "It's alright." Red said again and helped him to sit up. He looked over her shoulder then to William and the look on his face was not friendly.

"You told me it wouldn't hurt." His voice was rough and angry. Will stared at him, flushed with shame and guilt that he had cause the lad pain.

"I am sorry." He pleaded. "I never imagined it would cause you pain." He still rubbed his head, the pain dissipating and watched distrust flow on to Phillip's face even as Red held him.

"It's not your fault, Will." She offered in a comforting voice. "You tried."

"I tried to hard I think." He thought back to the last image and how he had dove thoughtlessly into Phillip's mind after it. "There was a memory. I should have let it go." He looked once more at Phillip. "I am sorry for that, more than I can say. I'll leave you." Will went quickly from the room and simply stood in the hall, reeling from the damage he had almost done. Somehow, he felt his powers were not quite as he remembered them. He would have to be very careful until he learned their new limits. With that thought came another small fear, for Sherena. As she shared his powers, she was likely to share whatever difficulties he was having. They needed to speak soon.

Red stayed with Phillip, offering comfort until he'd steadied. "He meant no harm, Phillip." She said quietly.

He grunted, shaking his head. "I know." He looked at her briefly and then away again. "I'm not letting him in my head again."

"No." Red replied, saddened that it had gone horribly wrong. Phillip soon rose from the bed, squaring his shoulders.

"We should go back to the party." He was in no mood for it now but knew Lily would be up after him if he didn't return.

Red laughed. "The look on your face." She clapped him on the shoulder. "I'm not in the mood anymore either, but our friends are and for them, we'll smile and go back."

He nodded and together, they went down the stairs and returned to the party.

In the tap room once more, Red saw Will telling their small group by the fire what had happened. Lily instantly came to them and took Phillip's hand. Echo was right behind her and they led Phillip to the bar with a laugh. Red shook her head at youthful exuberance and thought Phillip would find his party mood once more and soon. She went to the fire, weaving through the dancers still swaying happily to the music and sat beside Will. She smiled at Sherena and put an arm across his shoulders. He had a miserable look on his face and she had to do something to relieve it.

"Will, don't beat yourself up over what happened." She said with a smile. "You're not the only one with magic that doesn't always do what it's told." A snort of a laugh from behind her brought her head around and she found Arwin grinning at her as he shook his head.

"Never a truer word spoken." He added and joined them, Jean at his elbow. "I couldn't help but overhear. The two of you seem to share the same magic, in some form or another." He looked to them and Red and William both nodded slowly. "Though yours, Sir William, has seemed the more stable to me perhaps your powers are changing, as Red's are?" He asked the last and William stared at the Elf curiously, then at Red.

"What do you think?" Will asked her and she blinked green eyes at him.

"Well, perhaps what kept your magic stable was the influence of Akatosh." She lowered her voice now so it would not carry. "Will, I don't know what happened to you but I can guess you've been...abandoned, in some way." He flinched at that and the compassion and understanding in her eyes soothed him, at least a little. "What happened upstairs was not your fault, of that I'm sure. Phillip will forgive you, eventually." She gave him a crooked grin. "He's young and had a few nasty shocks in a short time. When he's had time to come to terms with all those, he'll understand you were trying to help."

"I hope you are right." Will replied. "Thank you." He gave Red a lighter smile even as Sherena hugged him close.

"She's right, I think, William." Sherena said softly for his ears alone. He nodded.

"Then we'll learn these new limits together." Will replied and Sherena smiled lovingly at him.

Red left them together, deciding her work was done for the night and took Garrulf's hand. "I'm tired." She said, drawing him up. He grinned and held her close, turning her toward the stairs.

"To bed with ye then." Garrulf said on a chuckle. He and Red bid a good night to their friends and vanished up the stairs. Arwin and Jean followed them, exhausted from the dancing and from hastily removing their things from Will and Sherena's room. They'd had Arlow give them another quickly to avoid any awkwardness with the couple's surprising return.

The party wore on in to the wee hours of the night until finally, all had gone to their beds. Red lay in the circle of Garrulf's arms, still awake and smiled into the darkness. Having William and Sherena returned was something she'd never thought to have and, even though it had gone badly, Will had found the memories still waited in Phillip's mind. Knowing they were there gave her the hope and patience to wait for him to remember in his own time.

In the room beside hers, Will was thinking similar thoughts, holding Sherena as she slept and knew that returning had been the right thing to do. They were home and safe once more. The horrors and battles they had endured could not diminish the joy he felt at laying in his own bed once more, beloved at his side and good friends in arms' reach. During their long, hopeless flight back to the Tavern, he'd never thought they would make it, nor wake healed to find Red at their sides. Once more his thoughts turned to that final battle and he fell asleep, the event replaying in his mind.

William stood in a field with Sherena by his side. The sky was blue and the grass was green, both went to eternity towards the horizon. A black cloud then seemed to form on the horizon and as they watched, it came closer and closer until William finally saw the fire at its base. The green grass was burning in red fires and angrily blazed its way towards the two from all directions. With it came a giant red dragon with blazing red eyes and murder on its mind. As it flew towards them, so did the fires that came with it.

There was then a golden dragon in the grass where William had once stood. Sherena was quickly on his back and they took flight and tried to gain altitude before the red dragon arrived. With a mighty roar, the red sent great gouts of flame at the gold which harmlessly engulfed the two. The gold lashed out with its talons and tore at the red while it bit savagely into the gold�s neck. Sherena hacked at the red�s head with her sword slicing its hide open where it reared away and screamed in agony.

The gold then bit into the wound on the red and finally tore its head off, but not before getting its belly raked by the red�s own sharp talons. The two dragons fell to the ground, one bleeding from its wounds and the other dead.

William awoke with a start! Both he and Sherena were covered in sweat from the horror of the battle and the pain and suffering it had caused. He wondered if he would ever be able to get a full night of sleep again. He was so exhausted from the battles and the flight back to the Tavern that sleep quickly found him again. He dreamed the dreams of the troubled, reliving the battles again.

By morning they both woke to the crows of a rooster in the yard. William talked with Sherena about what had happened with Phillip. Of memories and thoughts, was this a power he wanted to pursue? A person�s mind was a very private place and not accustomed to intrusion by others.

Everybody had their secrets that they kept to themselves, not only for their own preservation but to protect others. Everybody was selfish and thought only to protect themselves and to gain advantage over others for their own good. Breaking down that barrier on friends would be the last thing William would want to do.

What if he could control the minds of others? What if he could not control that power, and that power were to manifest itself on its own when he brought it forth? Both Sherena and William shuddered at what might happen then.

They understood partially what it was like to open your mind to another since they shared a cursed bond between them. It had been very difficult for them at first, the sharing of thoughts between them, but now they found comfort in it and learned how to use that bond to win together where apart they would have been lost to the void.

After their battles, the god�s had left them in that place to die. They had found a way to return to their own world but it had drained them to the point of exhaustion and nearly death. It was a tale that William and Sherena decided they needed to tell somebody. They decided that Red would be the lucky one, if she wished it. The tale would be slow in being told, but it would happen soon.

The probing William had done to Phillip had started to cause the poor boy pain. If he had not pulled back, what would have happened to Phillip�s mind? Would he have damaged the boy, or even driven him insane? A power like this would have to be a closely guarded secret and certainly not used if at all possible.

To be able to drive an enemy into a battle frenzy where they would attack their own friends, or to drive that mind insane making them useless and easily killed. What would the limit be? He had not had any problem with one mind, like Red had little problem with small fires. But what if more power was drawn forth, would that power also try to escape into the world or try to take over its host? Either way, it was a scary proposition.

They then headed downstairs for breakfast and found several of their friends already eating. William guided Sherena to his old corner table in one of the darker corners. He smiled to himself as he realized what he was doing, being an ex-assassin was a hard habit to break.

As their food arrived at their table, Red came down the stairs followed by Garulf. William called out to Red to join them for breakfast. Garulf, seeing the looks on William and Sherena�s faces decided he had other things to do and excused himself as he sat by the fire where Grond and Falien sat.

As they ate their breakfast, both William and Sherena told of their journey to Morrowind and the adventures that brought them to the Daedric ruins where they had met up with them in Morrowind. And about how they were soon transported to another realm, the realm of the god�s where their first battle had been with a giant red dragon.

It was then that Garulf came to the table with a drink for Red as both William and Sherena became quiet and smiled pleasantly at Garulf. Red�s mind still slightly reeled from the fabulous tale the two had told her. She accepted the drink and both William and Sherena excused themselves and headed for the bar themselves for a drink.

As William drank his root beer, he thought about the ancient treasure they had set out to find so long ago and never had a chance to go looking for it. He was determined to finish that quest and see if the treasure really existed.

Arwin joined William at the bar and the two appraised each other and smiled pleasantly. Arwin then asked, �So, you and Red share some magical power? I sure hope you can control yours!� Arwin then smiled and William laughed lightly.

Phillip came down the stairs and found near everyone already there and eating. Garulf sent him a friendly smile, Red a distracted one while Grond waved good morning. The sight of William at the bar with the Elf made him nervous and dimmed his appetite as he remembered the pain he had felt. He changed his mind about being hungry and went outside instead.

The morning was still young, the sun barely reaching over the trees and a slight chill still hung in the air as he went to the stables. Legion stood ready in his stall and nodded his great head several times in greeting as Phillip went to him. Without really thinking about it, he saddled Legion, swung easily up and kneed him into a walk. They left the Tavern yard behind and headed into the fields beyond. Phillip thought on his memories, the loss of them ached in his heart. Beneath that was a fear that he would never regain them, never remember the message those in the Tavern wanted him so badly to deliver. Red's face floated through his mind, pricking at the guilt and he smiled. She'd never pushed him, he realized, content to let the memories return on their own. The hope he saw in her face when she looked at him gave him a measure of peace.

He smiled as he rode, feeling the smooth gait of Legion below him, the brush of the tall grasses on his legs as they passed easily through the fields. He looked out to the horizon, today a brilliant blue, bare of clouds with one of the moons, Masser he thought, so low on the horizon it was nearly invisible. The sun broke the treeline behind him then and he felt the warmth on his back. With a start, he grinned. He had remembered the name of the moon! He laughed loudly, throwing his arms wide as Legion leaped ahead, sensing his mood.

Phillip's laughter flowed across the field and finally, he pulled Legion to a stop. It didn't matter, he thought, if his memories ever came back or not. He could live his life wallowing in the loss or start a new life here and now. If someday they did return, he'd deal with that when it happened. Here, now he chose a blank slate. How many, he wondered as a flock of birds erupted from the grasses and took to the sky, dreamed of the chance to start their lives over? Here it had been handed to him, the opportunity to become someone different, new. He watched the birds' flight into the blue and felt as if he were one of them.

He chuckled at his own whimsy as Legion danced beneath him, anxious to run.

"Good morning." A voice from behind startled him and he turned to find Red grinning at him from atop Savior. She studied Phillip's face. She'd seen him leave and Garrulf had convinced her to give him some time but eventually, she'd been unable to stand the thought of him suffering alone somewhere and had come after. Yet as she looked into his so familiar blue eyes, it was not sorrow she saw on his face but happiness and, looking deeper, peace. She smiled. It seemed Phillip had found some way to come to terms with his loss and new life. "May we join you?" She asked, stopping along side him.

Legion made a mock attempt at biting Savior's bridle and was gently body checked by the smaller horse as Red and Phillip laughed.

"Of course." He smiled at her. Red's grin became wider. She raised a brow, giving him a wink and pointed to the lone tree on the hill far ahead of them.

"Race you." She said.

"What?" He asked, confused. She didn't answer and instead, kicked Savior into a gallop and the two sprinted away into the field. A matching grin spread across Phillips' face and Legion was after the two with a shout. Though Savior was swift, Legion was larger and quickly caught up. In a matter of minutes, they were riding abreast of each other, shouting encouragements to their mounts as the tree loomed closer and closer. At the last moment, Legion pulled ahead by just a nose and reached the tree. With a whooping laugh, Red came up beside them and clasped Phillip's arm in friendship.

"Well done!" She gasped. "And damn. I always thought Savior could take Legion." She laughed, for once not depressed by the memory of Rider. She looked forward to the ribbing she would take from him when he learned Legion had bested her boy and she would, she thought fiercely as Phillip chuckled and turned Legion back toward the Tavern. She would have the chance to tell him these things. They would find him. But not today. She nudged Savior to follow and they laughed as they rode back, Red telling Phillip some of the adventures they had had as he laughed at the misfortunes she related with such humor and a wry, crooked grin.

Red looked up at the clear blue sky overhead and she rode through the country side lazily. She let her arms fall slack knowing Savior needed neither guidance nor leather to keep him moving on. Phillip rode beside her just as leisurely. She glanced over at him to see the boy patting Legion's withers affectionately. The two seemed made for one another. Legion's gait was his usual prancing stride as he walked, as if trying to contain his own vigor. His ears were pricked forward alertly as his head bobbed up and down. It seemed Phillip was not the only one to have found some peace.

Suddenly, the big black steed's ears turned back and he grunted. Even as Red began to interpret his body language, Savior became equally unsettled. The ground began to shake.

"What is it?" Phillip asked her gripping to Legion's mane and reins as his mount began to dance around nervously.

"I don't know," Red answered over the rubble and the excited whinnies Savior had begun to squeal out, "Stay mounted!" she warned him, "They know better where the danger lies. Savior, Go, my boy!" As Red snatched up the reins Savior lunged forward and downward? The lady thief found herself up to her waist in crumbling dirt as a wide crevice opened in the earth swallowing her and Savior both. The poor black appaloosa kicked for all he was worth as if swimming in the dirt, only falling lower.

"RED!" Phillip shouted, fear cracking his voice, Legion was rearing back and away from the hole that was growing wider. Though the steed's instincts told him to go back, Phillip was pushing him forward as Red and Savior vanished into the crumbling abyss below. Legion leapt forward into the hole, finding the walls of the hole as the last of the debris began to settle. It was a bumpy ride and Legion grunted and skidded from ledge to narrow ledge on the way down; Phillip clinging to his saddle desperately.

When they reached the bottom, the crevice opened into a long dark tunnel. Phillip's eyes fell immediately on Red, her scarlet locks illuminated in the cascade of sunlight from above. He leapt from Legion's back and hurried over to where she was rubbing down the forelegs of a shaken Savior.

"Red!"

"I'm alright, I think he's okay," she said, her attention focused on her mount.

Phillip tugged at her sleeve, "Red, no look," he said in a quieter and more cautious tone.
Red turned to look down the tunnel. In the shadows several forms were standing only a few meters away. For once in her life she was unarmed and they were not alone.

She grabbed Phillip and fairly dragged him behind her, "Stay back," she warned him. She knew full well, if need be, her magicka could defend them.

"No!" a strange voice called out from the shadows, followed by a few unusual whistles and pops. One of the shadowy forms moved forward into the light, though he covered his eyes with one clawed hand, "Do not be afraid, Updweller," he said gently, a soft whistle and pop punctuating each of his words. As he stepped closer Red and Phillip were able to see their adversary clearly for the first time. This bold representative stood only around four feet from the ground and peered up at them curiously. His head was shaped somewhat like a rodent's with a black twitching nose at the end of a long, stout, muzzle. Long whiskers twitched the air around two pronounced teeth. His eyes were black as night and almond shaped, set shallowly against the soft matte brown fur that covered his body. Though he was more animal than man, he wore a purple velvet vest and a tan pair of trousers.

"We mean you no harm," he said, his strange voice sounding gentle and sincere.

"What are you?" Phillip asked, coming around Red and closer to the being.

The creature dusted the dirt from his vest in embarrassment, before making a slight bowing gesture, "Forgive me, my name is Bartlemew," he introduced, "my friends are Kemitt, Hago, and Kolmy."

As he said each name, the other three came closer, bowing nervously, there whiskers twitching. Phillip turned his head and looked at Red with a cavalier grin then made her eyes roll, "I'm Red, this is Phillip. Sorry we fell into your - uh - hole?"

Bartlemew waved his hands and shook his head fiercely, "No, no, no, the fault is ours dear Updweller-Red. We were digging, you see, we never dig upward, but, we were - "

"Tell her," one of the others urged in a hushed voice.

"Yes, go on Barty tell her," another piped in.

Bartlemew took a breath, "You see, we were looking for Updwellers, and we have found you now, so we are very pleased!"

Savior whinnied a bit as the portly Hago reached out to touch his flank, but the curious creature backed away when Red looked in his direction.

"We've never actually seen Updwellers, but you fell from above so you must be one!" Bartlemew went on, "We need your help."

"Our help?" Red asked, "I don't understand help with what?"

"Wait," Phillip said suddenly, "I know what you are, you're Muridaema right?" - the creatures smiled and nodded proudly - "earth diggers."

"Yes, yes," Bartlemew answered, "You are right Updweller-Phillip, we are Muridaema, our tribes are many and we dig the earth. It is our place in the wheel."

Red was boggled by Phillip's sudden spring of knowledge and completely lost by the revelation that seemed to make so much sense to everyone else in the tunnelway, "What wheel?"

The Muridaema called Kemitt came closer, removing his hat before speaking to her, "The great wheel. All things in Nirn have a place on it and when we are all in our place, the great wheel spins the cosmos. Our place is to dig the earth, yours is to live in the sun, Updweller-Red." If he hadn't been covered in hair, she'd have sworn he blushed.

"Why would earth diggers need help from Updwellers like us," Phillip asked Bartlemew. The four companions suddenly burst into a chorus of indescribable whistles and pops as they chatted in some tongue unfamiliar to human ears. After a few moments they seemed to calm down and Bartlemew replied, "The Gorgans. Great beats with skin like rock. They collapse our tunnels and cause all sorts of mischief. But the Gorgans have taken our Princess Meridiath and we have been sent to bring Updwellers to help us get her back!"

"Of course," Red responded, her luck did have a way of dragging her into such adventures.

"RED! PHILLIP!" A great familiar voice bellowed from the mouth of the cave-in, "Are ye alright?!" Grond's less than dulcet tones sent the Muridaema scattering for cover.

"It's alright, it's only our friends," Red reassured them, "Grond, we're down here, and we're okay. I'll need my weapons, but then you'd better come down here."

Long minutes passed as they waited for Grond to return. The Muridaema explained about the Gorgan City of Lockstar deep in the earth where the lava flowed. The Gorgans were both ground dwellers and up dwellers. If the Muridaema tried to mount a rescue, the mischievous Gorgans simply retreated above ground where the timid earth diggers wouldn't follow. Poor Princess Meridiath had been with the Gorgans for weeks, and they could be more than mischievous, they could be dangerous. It was known that some Gorgans had fed on the flesh of Muridaema when it suited them. Being so much larger with skin like stone the poor earth diggers were at a decided disadvantage. Bartlemew spoke so lovingly of the princess, Red's heart wept with compassion and her mind was set on helping them.

At last a scuffling sound from the cave in signaled Grond's return. The big Nord wasn't alone, Garrulf and William were with him, all armed and clearly ready for battle. Grond handed Red her weapons and Garrulf passed Phillip his twin blades.

"These are the Muridaema," Red introduced the timid creatures bowing and whistling toward the newly arrived Updwellers, "And they are asking for our help."

Grond had laughed heartily at being called 'Updweller Grond' and liked the small folk instantly. He looked to Red and the others. "So, what say you?" He grinned. "Though I can see the answer plainly on your face, Red."

She answered his grin with one of her own. "We help them of course. How can we not?"

"Yes." William agreed as well. "These Gorgans need to be dealt with."

"A hunt!" Garrulf clapped his hands together, making the Muridaema jump and he grinned. "Lead on then!" Phillip chuckled at the Nord and smiled as Grond looked to him.

"We go." Phillip nodded to Red. Like her, he couldn't see just walking away from their plea for help.

"Excellent!" Bartlemew bowed deeply to all of them, as did the other Muridaema. "Follow us and we will lead you to the Gorgan city of Lockstar."

"One thing." Red draped an arm over Savior's neck. "We can't just leave our horses trapped here in this hole." She looked up the steep wall. "There's no way they can climb back up there."

"Ah of course! We do apologize for your....precipitous entrance." Bartlemew turned and spoke quickly to his companions in their odd whistling, popping language. They nodded and scrambled forward, dodging between the humans and horses to the back wall of the hole. Each had digging tools in their hands and, as they watched amazed, quickly and expertly created an earthen ramp from the rubble back to the surface. They scurried back to their tunnel, squinting from the sunlight and each patted the horses boldly as they passed, making them dance nervously. Red laughed and turned Savior toward the ramp.

"Go on boy." She gave him a hug and pushed him to head up the ramp. Legion followed as he went and both reached the surface easily. "Back to the stables with you!" Red yelled up at them. They snorted, whinnied and vanished from sight. "Thank you, Bartlemew."

The Muridaema glowed with pleasure and took Red's hand, drawing her toward the tunnel. "Come, Updweller-Red." She threw an amused look over her shoulder at the others as Garrulf snorted a laugh. Grond slapped him on the back as they followed.

"Better watch out, dragon breath." He muttered. "You've a rival I think and he's better looking."

William chuckled behind them and went around them to walk beside Phillip. The boy gave him a wary sideways glance but said nothing. "Phillip." Will began, he had to find a way to fix the hurt he had caused. "I am sorry the magic got away from me." He spoke softly, for Phillip's ears alone. "I only meant to help. I would never harm you, nor anyone." He looked at the boy's profile to gauge his mood and found his face closed. "I do not want us to be at odds because I made you fear me." They walked in silence for several minutes. Small, guttering torches lit the tunnel at irregular intervals

Phillip heard a note of pain in William's voice as he said the last and sighed. If he were truly going to begin a new life, he must decide if he would be the kind of man to hold grudges or be forgiving. He listened to the good natured arguing the two Nords were doing behind him and watched Red allow herself to be led by the little people ahead, sometimes looking back at them with a grin or a laugh. He smiled at himself and decided to truly start over.

"I know you meant no harm." He replied to Will. "I was scared." He looked up at the taller man now, giving him a small smile. "Can we start over do you think?" He held his hand out to Will and the man took it gratefully with a nod.

"I would very much like that." Will smiled in relief, watching as Phillip then jogged ahead to speak to the Muridaema as they led them deeper. Garrulf was at his side then and grinned.

"That was very well done." He told Will. "You young folk take things far too seriously." To this William snorted a laugh, once again reminded the dragon hunter had not known him before he'd been youthened by the waters of time. That Red had not told him made him grin.

"You certainly dig tall tunnels for such a short people." Grond commented as he came alongside them. Bartlemew and the other Muridaema laughed and he spoke over his shoulder to them.

"We knew we were seeking Updwellers, Updweller-Grond. We built tall for you." He looked back to see the men walking with their heads bent to avoid the ceiling. "Perhaps we should have built larger." Their laughter echoed down the passage.

"Are we going to your city?" Red asked then. Bartlemew gave her a shy shake of his head.

"No, Updweller-Red. The Gorgan's will have heard the cave in. They do not know where our city is and if they come for us? They could follow us back." He shook with the thought of that. "We're going directly to Lockstar." Red nodded and looked back to see if the others had heard. She found them surreptitiously loosening their weapons as they walked and knew they had. The mysterious Gorgans could even now be coming for them. She took her hand back from Bartlemew with the pretense of adjusting her Welkynd Bow across her shoulders. She wanted both hands free if things suddenly got interesting.

The tunnel they followed went deeper and deeper beneath the earth. Ever so often, they would pass a side tunnel and hear the sounds of industry, Muridaema hard at work on their network of passages Bartlemew would say. Torches soon gave way to clusters of raw welkynd stone, strategically placed to provide light. The torches, they were told ate the air below ground while the welkynd stone gave light and let them breathe. It seemed they came across deposits of the stuff like updwellers found daises in the field and used it for light and little else.

They had walked for hours it seemed, their eyes slowly adjusting to the lower light level when they emerged into a massive cavern. The sound of gently lapping water met them and Bartlemew gestured them ahead of him. Red, Phillip, Grond, William and Garrulf sighed as one. An immense underground lake met their eyes. Welkynd stone deposits dotted the ceiling like stars, flickering blue light down on the waters below. Stalactites decorated the ceiling, some dipping so low they vanished into the dark waters, giving the illusion of trees. Bartlemew smiled broadly at them.

"Not many of you Updwellers get to see such sights as these I'd wager." He said softly yet his voice carried throughout the chamber in gentle echos.

"It's beautiful." Red breathed and smiled when her own voice carried back to her. There were several small boats drawn up at the water's edge and to these Bartlemew went.

"We must cross Valisis Lake to reach the next set of tunnels leading to Lockstar." He shook his head sadly. "Those tunnels I'm afraid are a bit shorter of stature." Grond groaned and began rubbing his neck in preparation while the others laughed.

Will stepped to the edge of the lake and peered across. He could not see the other side in the dim light. "How deep is the lake?" He asked Bartlemew.

"Oh, not very deep at all, Updweller-William. But cold. Oh so cold." He grinned. "Makes Muridaema go numb when they wade in it."

"So no falling in." Will commented with a sideways glance at Red who was examining the small boats they would use. With a minimum of shuffling accomplished by Bartlemew's fellow Muridaema, they were set two to a boat and pushed off across the lake, one human and one Muridaema in each small vessel save Grond, who's size earned him a boat all his own. Grond's deft use of the tiny paddles forced a comment from Garrulf that turned Will and Phillip crimson and made Red stifle a bawdy chuckle as Grond glared across at her.

The boats moved silently through the water and, due to the added weight of the humans, sat low in the water. Red had trailed one hand in the frigid waters and now sat firmly and still in the center of her boat, doing her best not to move and capsize them. The strange glow of the Welkynd stones from the roof of the cavern provided dimmer light in the center of the lake and the other boats were little more than shadows to each other as they passed in the semi darkness. A growl cut the stillness as they rowed, causing all to stop as one and listen.

"What was that?" Phillip whispered. The echo effect of the cavern still worked so far out and they all heard his question. The growl came again, followed by a splash and then silence.

"Rockfall?" Kemit, one of the other Muridaema asked. Bartlemew shook his head, whiskers shaking.

"Rocks don't growl." Garrulf said from his boat. He cursed the lack of light and torch and anxiously tried to see through the darkness. He'd taken his sword and plunged it into the waters to see just how deep the lake was and had hit the bottom at no more than the height of his thighs. Yet, as Bartlemew had said, the waters were like run off from an ice lake. He didn't fancy having to step into them. Another growl broke the silence, another splash and then nothing once more.

Will hurriedly dug his amulet from his jerkin, the one that allowed him to see in the dark and dropped it over his head. Just as he did, a small wave rocked the tiny boat and he saw the other boats rocking the same, heard the cries of alarm. As the special vision opened to him, he could see several large forms walking slowly through the lake waters, the ripples that rocked their boats caused by the movements of their legs. They were tall, thickly built and could only be the Gorgans as Bartlemew had predicted.

"Gorgans!" Will called out and then cringed as his own, powerful voice was turned back to him.

Phillip lurched in his small boat at Will's cry and quickly drew his swords, trying to find balance on the craft to fight. In the boat beside his, he could see Red, dagger drawn and facing toward the danger ahead, her face set with purpose as she balanced in the boat against the sway of the increasing ripples. Garrulf gave a loud groan and hit the water with a splash, then gasping as he adjusted to the cold. Grond appeared beside him, scowling as the frigid waters moved about his legs. They waited then, hearing more growls, more splashing.

"How many?" Phillip asked William, as he had set the alarm.

"I see seven of the creatures, nearly upon us." Another splash signaled Will hopping from his boat as well. "Stay in the boat, Phillip, unless you must out from it to fight." Phillip swore he could hear William's teeth chattering as he made his way over to his boat, placing a hand on the side. Will leaned in and spoke very softly, hoping to not cause an echo. "Watch out for Red. This damned water is too cold for her."

"Too cold?" Phillip asked but had no time for an answer. The first of the Gorgan's appeared before them. They were no taller than Grond or Garrulf but wider. Their skin was dark and almost had a sheen to it as the welkynd light from above played off it. An arrow hit one of the creatures in the chest suddenly and bounced away back into the water. Phillip looked over to see Red, Welkynd bow drawn, knocking another arrow and cursing. "They're armored?" Phillip asked in surprise and looked more closely at the creatures as Grond, William and Garrulf waded out to meet them. He saw not armor, but flesh, thick and sturdy like cured hide. Another arrow fled Red's bow and this time hit the nearest Gorgan in the neck. It sank deeply into it's throat, spilling a dark blood down the thing's chest.

"Aim for the necks!" She called out and quickly strung another arrow, letting fly at the same beast again, adding a second arrow beside the first to try and kill it. It staggered to it's knees in the water and then Grond was there, his great axe cleaving the Gorgan's head clean from it's shoulders. The other six Gorgans roared in anger and surged forward towards the group of boats. Phillip jumped from his, ignoring the bite of the water and went quickly to help his new friends as Red's arrows began to bristle from the creatures necks. Though she was slowing them down, it was not killing them and as Phillip reached the edge of the battle, several of the Gorgans broke off, heading for the boats and for the archer causing them such trouble.

"Aim for the necks!"

The echo of Red's words had not yet faded before she had felled another of the Gorgans, firing two arrows rapidly, the second following the first into and through the creature's squinting eye. It fell heavily as its comrades came on.

Grond and Garulf, Phillip and William readied themselves before the boat in which Red stood. Their blades drawn, they looked on as the five Gorgans slowed in their approach. They were massive creatures, looking indeed to be rocks come alive. Their many-faceted hides were scored and pitted like boulders, their necks were well hidden by great chests and shoulders, and their heads were pebbled and irregularly shaped, with odd growths jutting out, like misplaced stone antlers. Their faces held no expression, though beneath heavy crusted brows were wide dark eyes which glittered with intelligence. And in their massive fists they clutched wide stone clubs.

They faced each other for another moment. Suddenly an idea sprang into Red's thoughts, but she waited to attempt it, and held an arrow at the ready. Then one of the Gorgans spoke. In a voice like a rock slide it said, "Gorgans eat you Softies. Eat you all. Why you walk with these Diggers? Get up top, or we'll eat you."

Grond and Garrulf, standing on the outer sides of the four, laughed together, and the roar caused the Gorgans to take a step back in the icy lake. As they did so, Red bent from within the boat and dipped her hands into the frigid water. She summoned her magic, and from her hands, as rays of a crimson sun, fire spread outward through the waters of the lake, and the intense heat met with the piercing cold, so that the waters became warm, and for a moment, they shone bright red. For Phillip and William the hot water gave them mighty relief. They felt warm blood again rushing through their legs. For the two Nords, weaned as they were on the ice of Solstheim, the rushing warmth added to the heat of battle-lust which rose within them, and again they roared with laughter.

Upon the heels of their laughter came Williams tremendous voice: "Lead us to where you hold their Princess, Rockmen, and we shall spare your miserable lives! Refuse, and none of you shall leave this place alive!"

Then the Gorgans laughed. The sound came like grating stones. To answer them, Grond, with a roar  - "Stendarr!!" - leapt through the water at the Gorgans, and so too from the other side came Garrulf, himself bellowing a mighty warcry. As the Nords rounded the Gorgans Phillip and William came at them from the fore, and the twin blades of the two men thrust deftly into soft throats, as Red had advised. The heads of both foes fell, but the bodies remained upright though still, like headless statues.

Garrulf swung his claymore upward then across as he came, and his attack took both arms away from the creature which faced him. Across from him, Grond charged and drove the long point atop his axe through the mouth of one. The force of his charge shattered the head of his foe, and sent the rock creature falling backward into the water, and Grond pulled himself and his axe away, barely recovering from his charge in time to see the last Gorgan coming at him. Off balance, Grond sprawled backward and swung the axe. The swiping swing managed to open the Gorgan's throat, and as Grond fell backward under the water, his last sight was that of Phillip's twin blades finishing what the Nord had begun, and the Gorgan's head fell as Grond did.

The Nord came up to the sound of Garrulf's laughter. As Grond sat in the cooling water Garrulf shouted, "Hey you oaf - is it bath day?!" The cavern echoed with their laughter.

The Muridaema clicked and chattered. One of them cried, "Updweller-Grond - you burst its head! We will call you RockSmasher!"

As he returned to his boat Grond muttered, "I miss me hammer."

The company paddled safely across the lake. Upon the far shore, they left their boats and followed the Muridaema, as they searched the rocky shore for something, and they twittered and clicked to each other as they searched. "We look for an entrance," said the Muridaema calling himself Kemit. Suddenly some distance away one whistled to them and the other Muridaema went to him. They beckoned Red and her friends with happy clicks and pops, and all soon gathered before the 'entrance'.

"Can you squeeze?" asked Bartlemew. For close to the wall of the cavern there was a jumbled pile of sand and rocks, and under one large rock was a narrow crack, somewhat hidden by a glowing cluster of Wisp Stalks. They watched as the Muridaema called Kolmy slid into the tiny crevice, seeming to loosen his very bones as he did so.

"Squeeze?" cried Grond. He reached for Bartlemew and, smiling, felt the creature's shoulders. "You can take yerselves apart within ye?" The Muridaema nodded and his whiskers twitched as Grond held him.

"You cannot?" replied Bartlemew. Grond shook his head. "Nay, our bones be knitted tight. Is there another way?"

Bartlemew shook his head. "Our ways down we hide from the Gorgans. But wait a while!" Bartlemew motioned to the two Muridaema left and together they scrabbled with their paws at the rock. Grond and the others were amazed when the very boulder which covered the entrance seemed to melt under their digging paws. Soon the entrance was wide enough to admit even one of the Gorgans, and past the entrance, the friends saw there was a wider space, but the glow of the cavern lent naught but a glimpse, for it was black as pitch within.

"A proper path!" shouted Red, and she went through first, followed by Garrulf then Phillip and William. Bartlemew clicked and whistled to the Muridaema called Hago, and that creature nodded. Turning to Grond, Hago said, "Farewell, RockSmasher! Go on through, and I'll hide the entrance!" Grond waved at him, then turned to follow his friends. Behind came Bartlemew.

The path went for only a short distance. It was absolutely dark. The three Muridaema which remained each took the hands of the sightless humans and they walked together, until they came to the end, where the ceiling drew down, and they all were forced to crawl, drawn forward by the happy whistling voices of their guides. Then the path narrowed. The Muridaema went ahead of Red, sliding past easily as would mice. "Here comes the slide now," said Bartlemew, "Let us go but come right behind! We'll make the slide slidee for you! You'll be able to see down there, I promise!"

Red continued to crawl but suddenly the creatures in front of her took shape, for there came a soft glow from the ground before the leader. Then she watched them vanish into the floor before her, one by one, and she came on, until she saw the manner in which they had disappeared. The path ended at a hole, but it went on at a steep grade, a shaft as it were, barely wider than Grond. The tunnel floor glistened as if moist. Red paused and they all heard the whimsical voice of Bartlemew: "Come before it dries! Fear not!"

So Red pushed herself into the tunnel. The "slide" began.

Red let out a wild cry of excitement - "WOOHOOO!" - as she slid face first down the tunnel. Her arms stretched out before her, and she slid easily, for the tunnel seemed to have been layered with something like a grease - presumably the 'slidee' part of the slide of which Bartlemew had spoken.

The tunnel ride lasted a few seconds. It turned this way and that once, then the decline became quite steep. Above her own voice, Red heard the others shouting their excitement as they came behind her, and her speed became greater, until she grew fearful of the ending. There was no means of slowing her slide. Behind, Garrulf came quickly, for he weighed nearly twice that of Red, and the Nord's laughing cry as he took hold of Red's boots both eased and heightened Red's distress over how this slide would end.

And then she came to its end.

Red shot from the slide in a great burst of speed, rolling across a soft earthen floor and came to a rest against a wall with Garrulf laying heavily across her. Moments later, the others came piling out of the chute to slide and land with a bump atop the Imperial and her lover, pushing them harder into the wall. Soon they lay in a breathless, laughing pile but for Red, on the bottom, who begged with a laugh.

"Air. Please!" She wheezed beneath the bulk of two Nords. William and Phillip scrambled up quickly and pulled Grond and Garrulf off her as they laughed. The Muridaema whistled and popped with humor as they watched the humans right themselves.

"Updwellers should have claws for gripping and stopping." Kemit laughed, holding his hands out and flexing the fingers at them with a grin.

"I could do with those." Red chuckled, rubbing a sore hip that had been jammed in the wall. Garrulf quickly offered to help her and she slapped his hand away. "Not now." She laughed and he groaned theatrically.

"It's a bad sign when yer own woman turns ye down." Grond shook his head sadly though he grinned. "Must be slipping in yer old age."

Red slapped a hand to Garrulf's chest when he would have tackled his friend and wagged a finger at Grond. "You boys can wrestle later, we have work to do."

"This way Updwellers." Bartlemew pointed to the entrance to yet another tunnel. Phillip was first at the entry and looked back at the taller men with a grin.

"You're gonna want to crawl I think." He said and went in bent kneed with his head ducked. Red laughed at Will, Grond and Garrulf as they groaned and darted inside after Phillip and the Muridaema.

"Well dragon bait?" Grond waved an arm at the entrance. "You first."

Garrulf laughed. "Oh no, you old hound, you first."

"Children." Will muttered with a shake of his head and went to the tunnel ahead of them as they laughed. Grond was there as well and clapped Will on the back as he went ahead of him. In truth, the close confines of the tunnel gave Grond a cold, clammy feeling and he'd been teasing Garrulf to give himself time to calm. He did indeed have to go to his hands and knees. He took a deep breath and crawled inside, keeping his eyes on the floor beneath him and crawled quickly ahead.

"Oy!" Red's voice greeted him as he ran into her. "In a hurry, Grond?" She asked, looking back to see who'd bumped her. She saw something in his face and her smile faltered. "We'll be out of this soon Bartlemew says. A few hundred meters further on it widens out." She reached back to clasp his arm and he forced a smile for her.

"Let's be about then." He began moving once more as she did and took slow breaths as they went. He could hear the sounds of William and Garrulf a ways behind as they entered the tunnel and Phillip's voice ahead as he chattered with the Muridaema about their city and culture. Grond grinned. That dry discussion and watching Red's feet in front of him eased his fear.

The tunnel was the perfect height for Muridaema, but for humans, Grond had just enough room to arch his back without hitting the ceiling. Garrulf cursed often behind him, making him smile as he heard William's soft laughter. Then the earth shifted beneath him just as Red froze ahead of him.

"Did you feel that?" Red asked, and turned back to look. He nodded and the ground shifted slightly once more. "What is that? Bartlemew?" She called. Grond heard the little fellow answer her back but had no time to hear the reply. The floor gave way beneath him and Red, tumbling in a shower of dirt and rock into darkness.

"Red! Grond!" Garrulf howled and would have jumped after them but for William taking firm hold and yanking him back as the tunnel continued to collapse ahead of them.

"You do them no good if you're dead!" Will warned and they waited out the rockfall as the sound deafened them. Phillip was likewise being restrained by the Muridaema as he fought to go after them.

"NO! Updweller-Phillip." Bartlemew gasped. "You must wait it out."

"What happened?" He demanded. "Why did the tunnel fall? Where did they go?"

Bartlemew shook his head sadly. "Gorgan tunnel beneath this one. Sometimes they dig below and weaken our tunnels. Muridaema who fall don't often come back."

"We have to go after them." He said strongly and jerked his head up as he heard voices from the other side of the fall and recognized Will's. "William!" He yelled.

Will let out a shaky breath of relief on hearing Phillip's voice and clapped Garrulf on the shoulder. "We're here! Garrulf and I." He hollered back and waited for a response. Phillip called out, telling them to wait, that the Muridaema would dig through to them and Will nodded. "Alright!" Garrulf on the other hand, was anything but happy. "We'll find them Garrulf." William said to ease the man's suffering. "We will find them." Garrulf nodded silently and stared at the rockfall where Red and Grond had vanished.

--------------------------------

Red woke with a start and choked around a mouthful of dirt, spitting it out and gasping as she found she couldn't take a deep breath. A great weight lay atop her and with a start, realized it was Grond as he bellowed, obviously awake and desperate to be out. He heaved upward, trying to shift the weight of earth atop them and only succeeded in digging an elbow into Red's side.

"Grond." She said his name and had to yell louder when he didn't listen. "Grond! Stop!" She had little breath to spare for yelling at the panicked Nord.

"We have to get out of here." He shifted atop her once more, trying to move and failing as panic and fear choked him.

"Grond, please." She breathed as she was crushed. "You're hurting me." He did stop then, feeling about and finding Red was indeed wedged beneath him.

"I'm sorry." His heart was pounding fit to burst his chest and he dropped his head to hers, trying to stay calm.

"It's alright." Red said softly. She had one arm free to wrap round her friend but the other lay trapped beneath the fall. "They'll find us. We just have to wait." She felt him heaving deep breaths under her hand and wished she could take one herself.

"I'm sorry." He said again and tried to shift, to give her more room to breathe but their was none. They were well buried beneath the rock fall, spared from being crushed beneath the weight by a few well placed boulders.

"We're alive." Red gasped another breath. "That's what's important. Focus on that." She felt him calming above her and smiled. "I promise not to tell Garrulf you panicked." Her comment had the desired effect and he snorted above her.

"That turd would have been screaming along with me." He said and then laughed weakly. "We both were caught once in a rock slide in Solstheim." He went quiet then, listening. "You don't suppose they're buried in here with us?" and panic began to overwhelm him once more. Red punched him with her free hand to get his attention.

"Don't start that again and no. It's just us." She wheezed in another breath, feeling faint. With Grond's weight and the stone and dirt she could not take a whole breath. "They'll come for us soon."

Grond could hear her struggling to breathe even as she did her best to keep him calm and dropped his head to hers once more. "Aye, yer right." He tried once more to shift his weight off her but could find no room to do it and had to listen to her gasping as they waited for rescue.

Grond suffered beneath the rockfall with Red. Her breaths came shorter and shorter, trapped as she was below both him and the tons of earth above them. For a while, she'd kept talking, keeping him calm, relating some dark and funny stories from her time as an assassin. She had been quiet but for breathing for a long time now and his repeated attempts to get a response from her met with silence. She was unconscious. Grond did all he could to keep as much weight as he could from her. Yet he too now felt weak. The air in their little pocket was growing thin and he cursed softly, stifling his own panic. Screaming would only use the air that was left faster.

A grinding noise brought his head up then. He could hear shifting in the earthen mound beside them. "Red." He said her name. "Red I think they're coming." He put his head atop hers once more, hearing the faintest of breaths from her. "Hold on just a little longer." The sounds of digging continued, getting closer and closer. Each second he heard their rescue approach helped calm him more. Panic squeezed him once more as he realized he had not heard Red breathe. "Red?" He yelled, placing his head beside her face and wishing he could see her in the darkness. "Red! Breathe!" But she didn't and he screamed through the rubble. "Hurry! Please!"

A hole appeared above him, the dim light from welkynd stones filtered through and he could finally see Red's pale face as she lay beneath him, her right arm trapped in the earth. Fresher air passed across his face and he sucked in a lungful, urging the diggers faster. "She's not breathing! Hurry damn you!" The light grew behind him and finally, he felt strong hands grip is arms and pull him backward. He turned to thank them and gasped for it was the Gorgans who had dug them free.

Grond tried to resist the grasping hands of their Gorgan rescuers, but they quickly overpowered him. The first Gorgan disarmed him with surprising dexterity and dragged the big Nord into a wider adjacent tunnel. Grond was finally able to take a deep breath and watched helplessly as another Gorgan reached into the hole to pull Red free.

"You harm her you great beast and I'll ne'er stop till I skin the hide of every Gorgan dead," he threatened boldly, despite a second Gorgan taking a hold of him to restrain him further.

The Gorgan held Red in his great hands as easily as if holding a rag doll. He lifted her chest to what could have been his ear and listened before lowering her, "She still breathes." To Grond's surprise the Gorgans seemed pleased.

"Oh that makes ye happy eh?" he spat roughly, "Happy to have the chance to kill her yourselves! You prefer fresh meat!"

The fourth Gorgan in the rescue party stormed over to Grond and snatched him up off the ground by his collar to look him in the eye, "Why do you think we want to eat you softie?" he asked, "You think Gorgan big ugly beast?! You think Gorgans not smart like softies? Think we like to eat poor sick girl? That make you more beast than me softie!"

He set Grond down roughly, handing him back to the custody of his two guards. Grond didn't know what to say, or how to react. They had been led to believe these Gorgans were ruthless beasts with no drive beyond fulfilling their own raw needs. Yet here they were, weakened by their fall, defenseless victims at the mercy of the Gorgans, but the beasts made no move to harm them. The Gorgan who had chided him, and who seemed to be the leader of the group, moved to stand beside the one still cradling Red gently in his arms.

"She needs healing," the leader said, "We will take them to Lockstar." After issuing that simple order he turned down the long hallway, the Gorgan carrying Red followed, and Grond's two new friends pushed him forward after them, silently encouraging him to walk of his own volition or be dragged.

It didn't take the party long to reach Lockstar. The Gorgan tunnels had fewer twists and narrowing than the Muridaema tunnels. Grond soon found himself entering a vast city carved of brick red stone and surrounded on all sides by small burbling pools of liquid fire. The Gorgans on the street watched curiously as the rescue party paraded down the main walk with two softies, the likes of which few had seen before. They stopped their march well before reaching the large citadel in the center of the city, instead carrying Red and leading Grond into a small shop. Grond immediately detected the fragrance of many familiar herbs as they entered the dimly lit shop with bottled ingredients on high shelves on every wall. The Gorgan gently laid Red on the stone table at the front of the shop and spoke to a cloaked figure busily grinding ingredients in a pestle.

"She needs healing," he said gently.

The cloaked figure turned to face them and at first, Grond couldn't believe his eyes. A slender furry female Muridaema dressed in a warn brown robe was standing before them. She hurried over to Red and gently probed her wil slender paws, "She has stone sickness, she inhaled too much of teh black ore. I can heal her, I know just what to do."

"Princess Meridiath?" Grond asked when he could find his voice.

"Yes?" the little Muridaema replied, "Oh...how did you know that?"

"I guessed, seems how you're the only Muridaema being held hostage here," the Nord replied.

"Hostage?" Meridiath sounded surprised, "Who said I was a hostage?!" she asked, while busily preparing a curative for Red, "The Gorgans didn't kidnap me...I ran away."

Grond was beginning to piece things together in his head. The conflict between Muridaema and Gorgan was not one of good and evil, merely of two very different cultures living right on top of one another.

Meridiath finished her potion and quickly poured it into Red's mouth. Red coughed once, then hers eyes fluttered open. She found herself staring up into the faces of a pleased Muridaema, and relieved Grond, and two strangely happy Gorgans, "What...happened?" she asked, sitting herself up.

"The stone sickness comes from the black ore. When it breaks and becomes small it can be inhaled. The stone is too heavy for the lungs to move, it must be broken down to clear the airway again, I have given you the curative, you will be fine now," the Muridaema said proudly.

"You're...Meridiath?" Red asked, just as confused as Grond had been.

"Seems we've been rescuing someone who doesn't need a rescue," the Nord answered, "How do you feel now?"

"I feel fine," Red slid off the table and turned to Meridiath, "You weren't kidnapped?"

"Oh, no no no," Meridiath answered putting a paw to her forehead, "My father wants me to marry his heir so that I might become queen, but I don't want to be a queen. I'd much rather be a healer, and help others," she explained, "my father wouldn't listen, so I ran away to find another Muridaema clan where I wouldn't be recognized, but...I lost my way. Luckily, the Gorgans found me, and they're not at all cruel the way I believed, they are kind and just want to be left in peace."

The lead Gorgan nodded his head, "Yes, we Gorgans always lived here, in Lockstar. Then the diggers come. They dig dig dig. All the time with their machina, and their tunnels. They make the ground weak, create quakes, make the liquid fire rise, we want them to go away from our city."

"It's true," Meridiath agreed, "My people are not cruel but they live to dig and dig to live. It is their way and they have become a nuisance to these poor Gorgans."

"I think," Red said after a few moments� thought, "That you will have to come back with us and help us explain this to the Muridaema. Perhaps if they understood why the Gorgans collapse their tunnels they wouldn't be so afraid."

Meridiath seemed to consider it then looked to the lead Gorgan, "I will go with you to explain but only if I can return to my work here and only if Kurek goes with me."

"Yes, you can come back, Meri," the lead Gorgan Kurek said, "And I will go with you."