DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Snap to Grid Troubleshooting

DarkRider

Hail Modders,

I'll admit with all my CS experience I am a ruddy novice when it comes to snap-to-grid. Seemed like I could never get the feature to work properly so abandoned it in favor of manually setting dungeon kits. Manual building can be very slow, so I've recently started to give snap-to-grid another go.

I'm working on a sewer dungeon level. I set the first piece at 0.000 the first eight pieces snapped together fine. Then I set the next piece at the same z axis 0.000 and to my surprise it's about 64 units lowers than everything else, even though it still shows it being on the 0.00 axis. So, now I'm confused. Why would the pieces suddenly be so much lower even an the same setting?  aa_wall.gif

Any general tips on using snap-to-grid, or tips you've found handy? Share em, please!  aa_biggrin.gif

Here are ways to manipulate things in the CS:

======================================================================

Navigating the Construction Set

======================================================================

Camera View:

Shift + Mouse movement = Spin or tilt camera view.

V + Mouse up/down OR mouse wheel = Zoom in and out.

T = Top view

C = Center view (from South looking North)

Objects:

Single Click object = Select one object

Double Click object = Bring up 'Reference' window on object.

Ctrl + Click object = Select and add/subtract objects to a Group of selected objects.

Click window and drag a box around objects = Select all objects contained fully in the box.

Selected Objects Manipulation:

Z + Left mouse + Mouse Up/Down = Raise or lower object

Z + Right mouse + Mouse Left/Right = Angle object East or West

X + Left Mouse + Mouse Up/Down = Move object on Y axis

X + Right Mouse + Mouse Up/Down = Angle object North or South

Right Mouse + Mouse Left/Right = Rotate object

Left Mouse + Mouse Movement = Move object in 3D world

B = Show/Hide cell Borders

M = Show/Hide Markers (Horse, door, map, x)

H = Enter/Exit landscape editing mode

L = Show/Hide Light radius wireframe

A = All light on/off

W = Wireframe on/off

V = Leaves on/off

F4 = Show/hide Collision geometry

============================

NOTES:

* Snap to grid will work at the setting you give it, not just 64 units. I have mine set to 16.

* I am surprised that the other pieces actually started at the same height when you dragged them to the window. That 'never' happens for me, I always have to adjust their Z height.

I can move it up manually, what I don't understand is why one piece is set at 0.000 and the next one, and all subsequent pieces are now at 64.000? Shouldn't they all be at 0.000?

EDIT: I do know how to move things in the CS, been modding manually remember? Not quite at the what-keys-do-what stage anymore.  :pints:

EDIT EDIT: The pieces don't start at 0.000 I have to manually move them there. My problem is that when I manually move pieces to 0.000 now (first eight were fine) it says it's at 0.000 but it's visually 64 units below that point. I can't figure out why 0.000 isn't the same level now.

it all depend on what i call the 'focus point' it the yellow cross thingy at all meshes have. that it where the co-ordinates are measured from. your other mesh have the 'focus point' at it bottom instead of the middle instead like the other cell piece.

Ah, that makes more sense. I was just worried I did something wrong somewhere.

The 'same' pieces should like up perfectly.When you add odd pieces like 'stairs' or 'ramps' or 'large vs small' room pieces, then they will not line up correctly at the same height.

Makes sense, the first eight pieces were the same room size, the next pieces are a smaller room. Good to know that variation is normal then!