DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Mesh alteration request

StarX

Hey all,

While creating more katana's I noticed that the two holes in the tsuba (Japanaese for guard) can be a pain in the butt sometimes when making textures.

Would someone be willing to fill these gaps? Without changing the UV map?

In addition I would also like to ask to make the guard smoother (a straight circle) or even a square-shaped guard.

The gap-filling is most important to me.

Here's a picture to show what I'm talking about:

meshrequest.jpg

Greetings StarX,

Do you have a picture of the guard with mesh over it (i.e. from NifSkope) so I can see how the guard is meshed.

Next question:

Would you like the holes to be filled by a new mesh or by breaking, and extruding the old vertices?

With a new mesh added it could be added to the existing UVMap depending on how it's mapped so that you'd only have to place an image over the entire (existing space) map to have the holes filled in.

Breaking, and extruding would require a remake of the UVmap for that piece (I believe).

Please post a picture of the mesh over the model in NifSkope as well as a picture of the existing UVMap. I might be able to help you out :blush:

Hey there Nico! Good to see you found your way to the TESA forums as well! It's such a great website that Darkrider and his team are maintaining here. :blush:

Anyhoo, I'm glad that you are willing to have a look at my request.

I'm not that much of a 3d program knowledgable person, but if we can avoid breaking and extruding it, that would be the best I guess as that probably means we can leave the current UV map almost intact. I'm not sure how to get an image of the actual UV map, as I used the standard akavirilongsword.dds as a base for my textures.

I do have a picture of the mesh showing up in NifSkope. Let me know if I can do anything else to provide you with enough information.

Cheers and thanks,

StarX

meshguard.jpg

Not the best looking mesh but will work. How is it UVMApped?

Planer? (Like view looking down from the top of the flat side)

Or Box? (Broken into sides, and top/ bottom)

Oh....never mind. You gave me the name of the stock file. I will look at it myself. Expect some kind of a message (or linky) to the repaired file soon. :pints:

Not the best looking mesh but will work. How is it UVMApped?

Planer? (Like view looking down from the top of the flat side)

Or Box? (Broken into sides, and top/ bottom)

Oh....never mind. You gave me the name of the stock file. I will look at it myself. Expect some kind of a message (or linky) to the repaired file soon. :pints:

Oh sweet! unworthy.gif

If it's not to much trouble can the fix be applied to both the one and the two hander (dai katana)? I believe the two hander is slightly longer.

One thing at a time please.

If I find time I will look into doing the two handed versions but no promises on that one.

I still need to work on the UVMap to add in the added meshes (4 of them to be exact) in the proper placement to make texturing easy.

Here is some renders of the model with holes filled in:

aforstarx1b.jpg

aforstarx2q.jpg

Kinda like what you had in mind?

Now I will work on adding the new meshes to the existing UVMap then re-building the .nif. Let me know where I can send it. :pints:

[EDIT]

ARGH! Attached new meshes to existing model in order to weld vertices but forgot to detach, and rename for separating in the UVMap.

Repaired but a minor set back. :poke:

One thing at a time please.

If I find time I will look into doing the two handed versions but no promises on that one.

I still need to work on the UVMap to add in the added meshes (4 of them to be exact) in the proper placement to make texturing easy.

Here is some renders of the model with holes filled in:

aforstarx1b.jpg

aforstarx2q.jpg

Kinda like what you had in mind?

Now I will work on adding the new meshes to the existing UVMap then re-building the .nif. Let me know where I can send it. :poke:

That is exactly what I was looking for! :pints: You rock!

And I can probably just convert the single hander to a two hander as I know how to do that in NifSkope. (maybe add a swap script to toggle between them ingame!).

I'll PM you my email adress.