DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

What do you Look for in a House Mod

the-manta

17 members have voted

1. 1. What is most important in a house mod

• interior design
    • exterior design/landscaping/location
    • special scripts (light switches, baths etc)
    • story
    • originality/character
    • new items
    • new meshes/textures

I voted for interior design as well, with a heavy emphasis on aesthetics over utility. :D I love it when an interior immediately sets a mood- whether that tone is gracious, quaint, regal, or even foreboding and creepy- if it does that, I am impressed. A close second is appealing exterior design- landscaping and location, again I tend to look for a visually appealing location more than a convenient one. :doh:

It's actually a three way tie between interior design, exterior design, and character/originality. The other options don't play as large of a role in my choice to use a house mod.

I had to vote for character as I always try to give some to my homes. :doh: Interior design being a very close second. If I walk into a home and it just looks like the modder tossed stuff in to get it out of the way or completely over cluttered to over compensate for a lack of character, I'm instantly turned off, never to return. :P

I want personality in my homes. :D

I can't really choose one criteria. I will say that new models and textures, and scripts, are not inherently necessary. Use them because you need them for a particular purpose, or because you love them enough to have created a need for them in your mod. One of the biggest design mistakes in modding is to add features just because you can, rather than because you should.

All of the other aspects must be top-notch for a house to stay in my game more than five minutes. There are thousands of house mods to choose from, so there's no reason to settle for a generic or poorly-crafted house in any of the remaining five aspects. Do whatever you can to provide a unique and pleasing experience for users of your mod, and don't cut corners. The pride you take in your craftsmanship, and the creativity you invest in your design, is what will get you happy users.

/endrant

Oh, that's simple ... interior design, location, and character. :clap: But all three must take into account the type and personality of a PC who might live there--a bachelor (or a ranger) typically doesn't place a lot of importance on frills, whereas a high-class lady champion might.

Interior design = I don't have to have huge mansions with large rooms, but I do insist that I'm not knocking my shins on furniture and clutter. The imaginative use of standard textures is fine; and a house doesn't really need to sing and dance to be good.

Two of my most favorite homes are

a) the Captain's quarters in Knights of the White Stallion - beautiful, spacious, and functional. Love that there is a closet for each type of collectible.

b) Castle Knightstone - perfect location for my Divine Crusader ... it's not huge, but has all the character and atmosphere of a medieval castle.

Bear in mind I'm still pretty new to Oblivion, but I played Fallout 3 extensively, and really enjoyed many of the housing mods availible for it. I really like housing with a background, whether that be a quest required to become the owner of the estate, or even just some books/notes/what-have-you that detail the history of the place. For me, it really helps the immersion factor when I have to work for a home, or if I stumble on to an abandoned home and can learn a bit about the pervious owners, and why it came to be empty.

Even though I voted for Story, I have to say that design, both interior and exterior are important for me as well. I like a home that "fits in" with the world its placed in, and looks put together, but not cluttered or haphazard on the inside.

Hmm, this has been really interesting, I have to say I'm quietly relieved that special scripts don't seem to be as important as they appeared. In fact, the spread of votes seems promising- one day, one day I'll hit you all with a fantastic house... probably... one day. Anyways, keep 'em coming!

Hmm, this has been really interesting, I have to say I'm quietly relieved that special scripts don't seem to be as important as they appeared. In fact, the spread of votes seems promising- one day, one day I'll hit you all with a fantastic house... probably... one day. Anyways, keep 'em coming!

What no votes for scripts?, I'm gonna fix that :P

• 5 months later...

Im essentailly a 'softcore' immertionist.

I cant stand mods that force you to eat, drink and sleep...

But I despise mods that hand the player everything on the plate.

If im given the house, It would have to be a small one... nothing majorly fancy.

But if it is a large manor of sorts, then Id want to have to obtain it by doing... something. Wether its buying it, or some quest related stuff.

Anyway... I went for character, if a house has no character, I probbably wont download it =3

I voted for Exterior.

The location of the house is what gets me... If it's just a house inside of skingrad... It doesn't look appealing. A magnificent cave atop a huge mountain with trees and flowers all around it would attract me. :rolleyes:

Interior being a close second, for obvious reasons.