DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Bash Install Nightmare

Arion

I'm having a huge problem getting bash and python installed here. I get it installed and when I click the desktop icon nothing happens. These are the things I've tried and the results of those configurations.

#1 - Installed Wrye Bash 275 self installed to D: (OB folder at time was under Program Files x86)

Installed Wrye Python 01_22368.exe version 2.5.2 to D:\Python25

When I eventually got a message box it said incompatible with my version of Windows, crash.

Couple of weeks later - last night - We try again

Have moved my OB folder to its own on the root of D: and all links and registry entries are now correct. All files with previous attempts have been uninstalled, folders wiped clean and disk defragged.

#1 - Installed Python 2.5.2 once again.. Directory was D:\Python25 - installed all packages presented during installation.

Installed Bash 275 self installer, it installed under the OB folder like it was supposed to. Click on Bash desktop icon and nothing. No messages, nothing.

Installed Python 2.6.4 to D:\Python26 with 2.5.2 in its own directory (python25). Zip nothing..

Checked DI and it was pointing to the pythonw.exe in the python25 directory. edited it and changed it to the 26 folder at pythonw.exe. Still nothing..

Tried using a cmd window and manually ran:

:clap:

cd Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Mopy

C:\python25\python.exe bash.py -d

It starts up but also has a python cmd window open as well. Changed from python 25 to 26 folder and no go.

Ran a number of different senarios under this configuration and have not succeeded in making it work.

Rebooted computer to my vista 32 drive... installed Python25 and Bash 275 and it works fine.

Came back to Win 7 system and attempted to redo everything I did before with no operating Bash.

system Configuration is:

AMD Dual Core x64 6000 (3GHz) Not overclocked

4 gigs Ram

ATI Radeon 3870 PCIe graphics

Main OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Oblivion is installed on D: partition in its own directory

Game and all utilities work without probelms with OB where it is.

Original Game was installed on Vista 32 drive for boot (seperate drive from Win 7)

OB installed to D:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion

Python and Bash installed to the D: partition

Khett and I spent 4 hours with numerous configuration, modified startup configuration in the Desktop icon for bash with only time it worked was with 2.5.2 python and Bash 275 and manually stating from the cmd line with the lines I posted above.

If anyone has it running under Windows 7 64 bit sure would like to know how its done so I can run it here.

Thanks in advance.

Arion

Edited by Arion

If these Wrye Bash issues are OS related, I'll say flat out that I can't help there, sorry. I am still using XP and am really not OS savvy beyond it.

Here is some information from Wrye Musings that might help:

If Bash Won't Start

• If Bash refuses to start, or quits after quickly flashing up a window...

• Most likely there is a problem with your setup. Alternatively there may be a bug with Bash.

• You can usually figure out the problem by getting the bug dump and reviewing it. And if you can't puzzle it out, someone on the Elder Scrolls forums may be able to help.

• Finding the Bugdump

• Sometimes the error will be written to a file in the Mopy directory called bash.log. If that file is there, then that's the bug dump. You can open it with any text editor.

• If it's not present, then you'll have to generate the bug dump yourself...

• Generating the Bugdump

• Open a command shell (Start: Programs: Accessories: Command Prompt).

• chdir to the Mopy directory. "chdir" means "change directory". E.g.: chdir C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Mopy

• Type: c:\python25\python.exe bash.py -d

• If you have a different version/location of python, adapt the first argument accordingly.

• Doing this will cause any error messages that Bash generates on start to spew to the command shell. This is the bugdump.

• Dealing with Bugdump

• First, look at it! – especially the last several lines – this will often give you a good clue as to what the problem is, and you may be able to resolve it on your own.

• Second, see following section for common problems and their solution.

Common Problems

• Can't find bash.py

• Make sure that you chdir to the Mopy directory first.

• Can't Find User Directory

• The problem here is that python is not very good at getting the user directories. There are two options here.

• This used to be semi-common problem but should be an issue for users who have pywin32 installed. (PyWin32 is included in the Wrye Python installer.)

• Can't Find wxversion

• I don't understand the source of the problem, but it has something to do with the way python is installed. The solution seems to be to reinstall python and wxpython in that order. (You may have to first uninstall both of them.)

• no module named wx

• You haven't installed wxPython or you haven't installed it in the right place.

• Be sure that you actually installed (not just downloaded) wxPython.

• If, when installing wxPython, you did not see the usual installation wizard dialog, then you almost certainly downloaded a corrupted version of wxPython. Re-download it. Make sure that the downloaded file is larger than a few kB (actually, it should be about 8 Mb).

• The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

• If an error message like this pops up (very rare) the problem is with your OS installation. For some reason the Microsoft utility that handles the installation of installer files is messed up. As far as I know, the only solution is to fix (maybe reinstall) your OS (the utility is part of the Windows OS).

• UNCommon Problems

• If the problem is not listed above and thinking about it doesn't help, then go to the forums and post the whole bugdump. Preferably, you should post the dump in the Relz/Help topic (see Discussion link at top of page) or you can start a new topic. Be sure to mention "Wrye Bash" in the text of the post.

• Hint: Control-C does not work in the command line window, but you can still copy text from it by:

• Right click and select "Select All" to selecting the text,

• Hitting the Enter key. [/codebox]

Wrye Bash is "officially" maintained at the Bethesda forums. If you were able to run it from a command line, then perhaps it generated a bugdump.txt. If it did generate that file, have a look at it, and then post in the thread at Bethesda, so the pros can take a look at it. Also, here's a link to the Wrye Bash site that my info was quoted from: Wrye Bash

Sorry I can't be of more help than that. :clap:

The New version of Bash has its own installer. You still need the Python Files as HeyYou posted though. You might need C++ library too...

Don't know what I did any differently tonight but I tried again and noticed this time it didn't add the additional contect packages and manually did it and it worked. Now I have it running and don't know what to do with it.. :thumbup: