DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Visual Basic Chat Thread

InsanitySorrow

Visual Basic Chat Thread

VisualBasic02.png

Note: I think there are enough of us chatting about this now that it warrants a dedicated thread XD

Quick Wiki Description:

Visual Basic (VB) is the third-generation event-driven programming language and integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft for its COM programming model. VB is also considered a relatively easy to learn and use programming language, because of its graphical development features and BASIC heritage.[1]

Visual Basic was derived from BASIC and enables the rapid application development (RAD) of graphical user interface (GUI) applications, access to databases using Data Access Objects, Remote Data Objects, or ActiveX Data Objects, and creation of ActiveX controls and objects. Scripting languages such as VBA and VBScript are syntactically similar to Visual Basic, but perform differently.[2]

A programmer can put together an application using the components provided with Visual Basic itself. Programs written in Visual Basic can also use the Windows API, but doing so requires external function declarations.

The final release was version 6 in 1998. Microsoft's extended support ended in March 2008 and the designated successor was Visual Basic .NET (now known simply as Visual Basic).

Rules:

While we can openly discuss Visual Basic here you need to remember to keep it clean and abide by TESA's Rules. The full set of rules apply here.

Links:

From the Ground Up Tutorial

VB Tutor

.Net For beginners

So I have a small interest in learning VB, but don't really know where to start at. So I'm looking for any tutorial that is step-by-step in helping me create a small program.

The program I would like to do is:

Custom Expandable Multiple Source folder including sub-folders (such as \Data\Meshes\ModName\Clutter and \Data\Textures\ModName\Clutter)

Individual files (such as modName.esp)

Destination folder, keeping the folder structure of the source files/folders, with custom location depending on user choice.

============

Another thing, I have several programs that I have and really not sure which one I can/should use for this... (Which one would be the better choice for me to use?)

Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition

Visual Basic 6 (But it gives me a incompatibility error before install, will let me install, but not sure if I want to)

Visual Studio 2008 Pro

Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate

---

Also (but not sure if they would help any)

Visual C# 2008 Express Edition

Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition

(I got these programs and more through the University I go to)

Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition

Visual Studio 2008 Pro

Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate

Any of these three will do, I use the express edition myself.

Now to set a directory you will need to do what I explained to Glavon, you will then need to code the app to do a recursive directory search for the files and then copy them to another directory.

Well IS a file but if you could say how to do a folder as well I would appreciate it thanks in advance

You will need to use a FolderBrowser Dialog and then do a bit of code like so:

FolderBrowserDialog1.ShowDialog()
TxtYourTextBox.Text = FolderBrowserDialog1.SelectedPath[/code]

This will fill a textbox with the path the user selected.

Hmmm for my app I would like to have a picture inside of a message box I know the basic code for making a message box appear and entering text and such but want to know if adding a picture to it is possible?

I have never tried adding a picture to a message box before, I am unsure if it can actually be done. You can however take a look at this thread and see if the explanations there can help.

Thread linky

how the crap do I reopen my project? I go to Open Project and select ModBackup.sln that brings up nothing. Then I open up Mod Backup.vbproj and it does the same thing, nothing.

wow, I can't even use this program no less code with it, I suck as a human XD

I don't have time to do this, I have to leave for class now

how the crap do I reopen my project? I go to Open Project and select ModBackup.sln that brings up nothing. Then I open up Mod Backup.vbproj and it does the same thing, nothing.

wow, I can't even use this program no less code with it, I suck as a human XD

I don't have time to do this, I have to leave for class now

When you open VB 2008 or whatever you are using you should see a start page with a box listing all your recent projects, just select your project from this list.