DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Current Mod

MaxVK

Hi. I have a mod planned (and started), and Id like to run this by you, and ask for a little advice if I may.

The Outline:

The player is of a custom race. The custom race are hated and hate all of the other races in Tamriel, with a race being defined as "The People of City X".

As the Magistrate of his city, the Player starts by finding a document that shows how the hatred between his people and the other peoples of Tamriel has been planned and manipulated by several men, as yet un-named. This document also points the player at the NPC who will give the first mission.

The basic plan is that X number of missions will be done in and around each city in turn. Each mission will introduce new information about the identities of the people responsible for the hatred between the races (and why), and of course will involve returning stolen property, releasing kidnap victims and a few revenge murders etc. There will one of these bad guys in each city.

As each set of missions come to a conclusion, the identity of the bad guy in that city will be revealed, and upon assassinating that person, the leader/king of the current city, will confront the player and apologize for the misunderstanding between the two peoples. At this point the players custom race, and the factions that make up the current city, will become friendly toward one another and traders from each race will appear in respective cities.

Upon killing the final bad guy (in the Imperial City - where else!), and gaining the friendship of all of the cities in Tamriel, the mod will finally finish, although of course the player will be free to roam about further.

The main Oblivion Quest is disabled/removed, but side quests have not, which means there is plenty to be getting on with.

Currently:

I have the custom race and they have their city built. The city is populated at the moment by some Militia who patrol the city and the walls etc. Buildings are all in place, although many interiors have not been done yet, allowing me to adjust what goes where as I go along.

The city and those interiors that have been done are all pathgrided.

I think that for the custom race I will need to have silent MP3's - Iv played with the vocals myself already and it will be too much work to make voices for everyone, especially those who will tell a piece of the storyline. The main reason for this is that I don't want them to say the usual Tamriel NPC stuff at all because firstly it has no bearing on the race themselves, and also because its one thing to have silent NPC's but another to have half and half!

Questions/Advice:

My militia are great when they see enemy guards etc - they attack on sight and are quite ferocious. However, if the player bashes one of them, any other militia nearby will run away like cringing cowards. (Iv mentioned this on another forum, but the solutions didn't get me anywhere, and my militia are still the same)

Militia Settings:

10 aggression, 100 confidence, 60 energy, 20 responsibility, 100 disposition towards their own faction and 30 toward the other inhabitants of the city.

They are a custom class because I don't want them to arrest the player if he has committed a crime in another city, so I don't what them to be 'Guards'

To get the leader/king of a city to talk to the player will not be easy if I use the actual characters themselves because they generally have their own Quests attached for the main game. My idea was therefore to use a copy of the NPC, in a specific location, who could then be removed from the game (I'm guessing here, please tell me if I'm going all wrong) when he has said his piece about peace!

However, I don't know how to get the people of the city and the custom race to start liking each other. Id guess that it would be best to use factions for this, but again, I'm not entirely sure how. Another guess would be within the results script on the quest. Again, only a guess, and I still have no idea of the script commands that may be needed.

Of course there is no point in the player being a different race to the one designed for the mod, however, making the other races not playable also removes them from the default dialog and quest stuff etc, so I wonder, is there another way to make sure that the player is always the right race. Currently the player starts off correctly, but in the dialog to edit the face and name, you can also change the race, which is not really any good.

... That's it for now!

Comments and advice are welcome (Even negative comments, I'm easy!). This is not my first mod by far, and while I would still consider myself quite new to the CS I can make basic quests, create dialog (and make my own vocals for it too), create objects and NPC's, and write and assign basic scripts. It is however, my largest mod to date, hence the (first of many) advice seeking mission.

Cheers

MVK