DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS BSA Help

Doombuggie41

Ok,

I am working on an city I want to make an ESM so that is is modular.

I know I CAN NOT use content from the Oblivion.esm

I have already added lots of custom stuff to my ESM.

Now for my question. Is there a way I could get the CS to let MY ESM to use the for example meshes.bsa. When I am done with my project I will be loading this ESM I am making alongside the Oblivion ESM. So if I could get both of the ESM's to use the BSA they could be using the same resources from the same bsa at the same time.

If this is a little puzzling I can explain it more.

dbug

Why can't you use the Oblivion.esm?

For any mod, you use the Oblivion.esm and use it in your own mods, which you can turn into an ESM.

Thanks for the Reply,:cookie4u:

Ok, currently the mod is completely independent from the oblivion ESM, I am making a city and I wanted to make it very modular, so modular any modder could go in and make a house, or add a quest and there would be no issues.

An esp cannot use another esp, and an esm cannot use another esm's content, But an esp can use an esms content. <-- If that is how it works then I cant use the Oblivion ESM right?

Anyway Goodnight

dbug

I don't believe you are allowed to make a mod that is completely independent of the Oblivion.esm and still use any of Bethesda's assets. If it's not dependent, then people without the game can play it and that's not legal. :cookie4u:

I don't think that's true. One needs oblivion's other stuff like exe, speedtrees, engine, I don't know what else.

But, I must say that I never heard about an .esm or.esp that is not dependent on Oblivion.esm.

And...

An esp cannot use another esp, and an esm cannot use another esm's content,

This statement is not true. What stops you from making .esm dependent on Oblivion.esm? All of them are.

And esp can be dependent on another esp. One has to esmify the master esp in wrye bash first (before loading it in CS) and has to espify it again before playing. Important thing is to do that every time before editing.

hmhmhmhmhm I think me has found a way to do what I am looking for :pints:

What I'll try is extracting the stuff I want from the BSA and put it into my data folder, I will add the resources to the mod, then I will delete the stuff I added and I will post my results here :)

Thanks for the help :D

@Washington

I don't want to mess with Wrye Bash, I know a lot of users who dislike Wrye Bash, I'm not creating an Alternative game, my goal is to make the city modular. Actually the ESM will be dependent on another ESM i guess, Currently I am making the city and someone else is making the land around it. I do not want to use bash (I have learned it is more trouble than its worth sometimes, while a good tool if I mess up I'm done... :wave: ). I want it to be easy to add things too and fun for players to use.

dbug

Wrye Bash is a powerful tool, and that being the case, yes, it is possible that you can screw up your game with it. However, you would have to be actively TRYING to screw up, in order to do so. If you want one esp file dependent on another, WB is the best way to manage that. If you are not sure of what some particular feature does, don't use it, or, read up on it first. For a fair few mods, they simply will NOT play nicely together without the use of WB.

Wrye Bash is a powerful tool, and that being the case, yes, it is possible that you can screw up your game with it. However, you would have to be actively TRYING to screw up, in order to do so. If you want one esp file dependent on another, WB is the best way to manage that. If you are not sure of what some particular feature does, don't use it, or, read up on it first. For a fair few mods, they simply will NOT play nicely together without the use of WB.

Thats why I don't want to make one ESP dependent on another ESP, I want my ESP that I will make later... to depend on my ESM and the Oblivion ESM. Beth made the CS and they built the CS so that ESP's should essentially depend on an ESM.

Wrye Bash is a powerful tool, I used to use it but I never really liked the Bashed patch.... I end up turning all my mods into Omods anyway :wave:.

dbug

Edited by Doombuggie41

You can create your ESM file, by simply starting the CS, NOT loading anything, and just adding the resources etc, that you want in there. Save the file as an ESM.

Then, when you want to start actually doing stuff with said resources, load oblivion.esm, your .esm file, but, don't set anything as active. Start working on your mod, and when you save the esp, it will be dependent on both your esm, and the oblivion.esm.

Is that what you were looking for?

Will be interesting to see what you're up to, as at the moment it sounds more complicated than necessary. :wave:

I don't think that's true. One needs oblivion's other stuff like exe, speedtrees, engine, I don't know what else.

But, I must say that I never heard about an .esm or.esp that is not dependent on Oblivion.esm.

I wasn't sure, hence my query. But I agree, I too have never heard of a mod that wasn't dependent on the Oblivion.esm. :pints: