DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Conversation Text swings by too quickly for one character

Loony

Hello Community,

I don't use voice over acting in my Mod so I rely heavily on dialogue and conversation subtitles particularly conversation subtitles. A lot of my characters have no problem with that - but one character in particular sometimes locks up in a weird way and his conversation subtitles only appear for a fraction of a second but he lipsyncs and waits for teh duration of the chat.

Again, this happens with 1 guy and with conversations only - Its a serious game breaker so I'm wondering if anyone knows what is the cause of this problem and how I can fix it?

Regards

Loony

Are you using silent MP3s to keep the dialogue on the screen longer? If so have you verified that this character has silent MP3s for all his dialogue? You can check in the CS by double clicking on the trouble lines in the questbuilder and when the window pops up, check to see if it sees an MP3 for that line. XD

Might need more info to troubleshoot this one :)

yea I used TES4Gecko - the weird thing is sometimes the conversations show fine and other times they fraggle. Should I try redoing the MP3s? I checked some of the troubled MP3s in the voice directory and they are as long as they should be. I mean he lip-syncs the entire way but the subtitles show for a fraction of a second.

Edited by Loony

I redid it and the problem persisted then I reviewed some of my many scrpits - it turns out in 1 particular place that I narrowed down through trial and error it was occurring. When I reviewed the script i realized under Begin GameMode i had the say function running without setting up a sayOnce functionality. When I fixed that it seemed to work. I'll test it some more now but could it be from that place the error carried so far forward?

Why would you say that? Generating silent voices gives mod un-needed size.

:jellytime: Hahah, I'm not going there again. I remember we had a discussion me-obse : you-no obse once and you deleted it.

Please, don't delete this, it's a legit option that I suggested and it's up to modder (Loony) to decide which option he wants to chose.

Some like this, some like that.

Why would you say that? Generating silent voices gives mod un-needed size.

:jellytime: Hahah, I'm not going there again. I remember we had a discussion me-obse : you-no obse once and you deleted it.

Please, don't delete this, it's a legit option that I suggested and it's up to modder (Loony) to decide which option he wants to chose.

Some like this, some like that.

It may decrease size but it adds dependancy to the mod which may not actually be needed. I'm all for OBSE, but it needs to be used for it's functions and not put in there for the sake of it.

And no I won't delete loony's thread :)

I'm also in favor of using pluggy, as it doesn't make sense to me to throw in tons of silent MP3's in my data folder.

Advantages of using Pluggy: smaller downloads, less bandwith/data traffic for the hosting site, easy to install and in many cases it can save a lot of precious HD space (55 MB for a mod like Integration!).

Cons: It needs OBSE(..) and the lip syncing is the same lenght for every line.

In my opinion the advantages outweight the cons. :jellytime:

Well, another option is to create silent MP3's yourself and renaming them to the corresponding filename. But with lots of dialogue it's a task you'd rather give to your worst enemie. There's no other way that I know of. Why not just use gecko?

• 3 months later...

Some questions--- I am in need for similar stuff:

1- Is there any other way to add silent MP3 files other than with Gecko?

2- Any tutorials in this site about dialogue-time delaying and silent-MP3 adding?

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I couldn't get Gecko to install on my computer, and while I got OBSE to install, I can't for the life of me get Elys Universal Silent Voice to work properly. I just want to make the dialogue stick around longer since I'm not a speed-reader. This entire thing is making me feel really dumb, haha. ;)

Additionally: Apparently in the version of TES CS I have is the latest one, and it doesn't allow the lip synching. I can still record my voice with it, but it doesn't work in game and the text zooms past silently without change.

Edited by sugarsickness

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I couldn't get Gecko to install on my computer, and while I got OBSE to install, I can't for the life of me get Elys Universal Silent Voice to work properly. I just want to make the dialogue stick around longer since I'm not a speed-reader. This entire thing is making me feel really dumb, haha. ;)

Additionally: Apparently in the version of TES CS I have is the latest one, and it doesn't allow the lip synching. I can still record my voice with it, but it doesn't work in game and the text zooms past silently without change.

The onboard recorder in the CS in insufficient for creating voice files, instead, download Audacity, it's a free sound recording software: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

There are 3 workshops here for creating Oblivion ready voice files in audacity as well as creating lip files using the old CS (it's possible to install both versions of the CS and just use the old one for generating lip files).

Workshop 01

Workshop 02

Workshop 03

Gecko is the best silent lip utility I've used, if you're just having trouble installing it, more information on what errors etc you receive and we may be able to help you get it installed. It's very simple really and might be a good solution for you.

...while I got OBSE to install, I can't for the life of me get Elys Universal Silent Voice to work properly.. ...

Sugarsickness,

How's that?

Check if:

- you have installed OBSE properly (I think that InsanitySorrow even made a tool for installing it but it's rather simple to install it manually)

- you have installed ElysUSV properly (placed the necessary files into OBSE's plugin folder)

- you start your game through OBSE loader