DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Terrible slowdowns after instantly closing OB

ZuTheSkunk

I have following problem: my entire computer (yes, entire computer) gets terribly slow after instantly closing Oblivion (with nothing to say about Oblivion itself opened again, where I'm getting slideshow unless I'm looking straight to the sky or into the floor) - no matter what I'll use to close him, game bug (trying to open a book with too big picture) or Oblivion Exiter program. Everything opens and reacts very slowly after doing so and only after few minutes I'm able to work normally again, but the game itself remains slowed every time I open it once more. And the only solution is to restart the computer. It looks like the computer gets confused after instantly closing OB and is unable to finish some tasks without a bit of time.

Now what can I do with this issue? If there's need to show my computer's properties, then tell me please what I must type (I don't have much knowledge about such things).

• 3 months later...

The fact that your computer does start working normally after a few minutes indicates to me that one possible problem is that Oblivion is slow in shutting down and is doing some internal house-cleaning. I see this with some other programs, as well, although I've never seen it with Oblivion. Firefox is especially bad about hanging around in the background "doing things" after I close it. Get a utility like Process Explorer and run it after you close Oblivion and see if it's still running. Just because you think you kill a process and it disappears from your computer screen doesn't mean it's dead.

One thing you may be experiencing, here, is save game bloat, as well. Have you checked the size of your saved game files, yet? If they're really big then your saved games have a lot of garbage in them, which can be caused by a number of things, but especially overuse by "placeatme", either through the console or from mods which use that function. There's a way to use Wrye Bash to "clean" bloated game saves, although I don't know what it is right off the top of my head since I've never had this problem.