DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

2D Graphic Editors: Bit Mapped versus Vector Based

Vince

Since I mentioned a vector graphic editor, InkScape, the other day, I've received several questions such as "I already have the GIMP, why do I need to learn some other type of 2D editor?". The answer is maybe you don't, but it might be a good idea to have a general idea of what a vector graphics editor is and, most importantly, what it can do that you can't do with the GIMP, Paint.Net, or PhotoShop.

Up until the last few years, vector graphics editors mostly ment expensive software: AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, and so forth. Now, things have changed and there are several quite powerful, free vector graphics editors. See List of Vector Graphics Editors.

So, what's the difference? The graphic editors we are familiar with: Paint.Net, the GIMP, and PhotoShop are basically pixel map editors. That is, when you perform a function, such as drawing a circle, the result is a change in the image's pixels and that is the only information saved. When you draw a circle in a vector graphic editor, such as InkScape, Corel Draw, etc., all the information about that circle is stored in the "image". Parameters such as size, color, location, and position in Z relative to other objects, can be modified at any time. What this means is you can come back later and change any of these easily--something you can not do with a pixel map editor.

For example, the first two pictures below appear almost identical. One was created with Paint.Net and the other was created with InkScape. Let's say I decided that I wanted the green line to be twice as wide and behind the circle. Also, I wanted the circle to be about 2/3rds its original size and have a partially transparent center as shown in the third picture. This takes just a few seconds in InkScape, but would be difficult or impossible with Paint.Net or similar.

The bottom line is detailed information about every object created in a vector graphics program is saved and available to be modified. If you were making a sketch of a shack you wanted to create and decided after the sketch was mostly complete that it might look better with a slightly curved roof, you don't have to start over, just curve the lines that depict the roof.

All this does not mean you should go download a vector graphics editor today. It does mean that you now know there are graphics editors available where what you draw can be easily modified or revised as you go along. For many applications, that can be very handy. :)

CirclePN01B.png

Circle and Bar Image Created with Paint.Net

CircleIS01B.png

Circle and Bar Image Created with InkScape

CircleIS02B.png

Modified Circle and Bar Image Created with InkScape

Edited by Vince

Very good explanation, Vince. Thank you for that.

I finally did install the program, opened it up to take a look, and I'm intrigued. The only way I can describe it - in a very basic sense - is Powerpoint meets Photoshop. It has a ton of features, numerous filters and I'm hoping to have some time soon to sit and get into it deeper. I see this as a great step toward creating very detailed textures as well as a design tool to help with modeling.

Very good explanation, Vince. Thank you for that.

I finally did install the program, opened it up to take a look, and I'm intrigued. The only way I can describe it - in a very basic sense - is Powerpoint meets Photoshop. It has a ton of features, numerous filters and I'm hoping to have some time soon to sit and get into it deeper. I see this as a great step toward creating very detailed textures as well as a design tool to help with modeling.

Actually, your "Powerpoint meets Photoshop" is a very good description. Just like you can select some text in PowerPoint you wrote earlier and move and modify it, you can do the same thing with any object your create with InkScape. Good luck with it and once you've had a chance to explore it a bit, please do post your thoughts in the InkScape Study Group. :)