DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Fallout: New Vegas and Steam

Arthmoor

Well since it doesn't top what Ubisoft is doing now requiring a constant internet connection, I cant really complain. However, it does tick me because now if Steam isnt working, then we are out of luck at playing. I dont like having to have a second program running just to play a game. Its like needing 2 engines in a car even though one doesn't do anything. I am not happy about it, but alas, I want the game... Its hard to boycott something you want. ;)

Im wondering....is it a Bethesda idea....or Obsidian. I think it might be Bethesda because as publishers they would deal with distribution....

A Steam game isnt the worst thing in the world, but its about as far into copy protection that I wish to delve into.

All i can think is what will happen if steam is stopped being supported, will all the steam games then be useless to buy?

I second echonite's sentiments... two engines, is dumb. Even in offline mode. The only good reason to make a game Steam-dependent is for online play. Otherwise it's just a performance hit that none of their users will thank them for. And nevermind that some people like to be left alone while they play single-player games, and not logged into social networks blaring their achievements everywhere. ;)

Uh, what about offline mode with steam? I use it when I want to play Left 4 Dead 2.

Apparently even the offline mode requires that you connect from time to time to verify you're still legit. Then when it does, you become subject to any of the random whims of the system, like this recent mess they made with the UI update and the client botching it.

There's also talk that games using the system to handle patch distribution will not work in offline mode until you download the patch. Unfortunately Bethesda's patch track record makes this a fairly scary prospect.

If I buy a retail box, I fail to see how my legitimacy changes to the point where they need to spy on me to find out. I've also never had any of the trouble people cite with finding and applying patches manually.

Otherwise it's just a performance hit that none of their users will thank them for. And nevermind that some people like to be left alone while they play single-player games, and not logged into social networks blaring their achievements everywhere.

My sentiments exactly. I will not be purchasing the game unless there is a 'totally' steam-less mode.

Even with GTA IV, you could still disable the on-line crud.

My sentiments exactly. I will not be purchasing the game unless there is a 'totally' steam-less mode.

Even with GTA IV, you could still disable the on-line crud.

Nope, they are only releasing via steam. If you buy it in-store you still install with steam.

Also, steam 'resets' every few months when it will go online automatically....else you can just set it to forever stay in offline. The only time it will go online is when you first buy it, then it will check for patches (and wont let you play until it installs them :thumbup:). But after that you can set it never to look again....you can also tell it never to install patches for single player games.

I still refuse to use Steam. I already have a 'steam' game that I never installed and I have had it for several years now. Stupid Half-life anthology requires steam installed and I refused. So, that was 20 bucks down the drain and I bought it in a store.

Yes and no. You get an activation code for steam, plus all the install files. That means you dont need to download anything, just install straight from the disc....if you lose your disc later on, then you are still able ot re-install via download too.

some of us don't have internet connection, IE... Me. so all games that require some type of internet connection is *screwed*....

I bought Command and conquer 4, and it requires a Constant internet connection, which I don't have, so that was $55.00 down the drain, and I was looking forward to playing it as I'm a avid C&C player, but not anymore.

In my opinion, all this DRM B.S. is or will hurt the gaming industry in one way or another, especially if it requires a constant internet connection. Theres still areas that don't have a high speed connection or the people who don't want to use a dial-up connection (or can't, I don't have a modem, and I don't plan on getting one anytime soon....err.... ever)

But anyway, I suppose that most is in good hands, but for the rest of us not so good.

If NV is Steam or another, that ends *ANOTHER* gaming series that I want to play but can't.

some of us don't have internet connection, IE... Me. so all games that require some type of internet connection is *screwed*....

From what I've read up on NV requiring Steam, it will only require you to be online during the initial install. But yes, you will need to have Steam.

"We've implemented Steamworks in as light and unobtrusive a way as possible. Yes, you will have to install Steam when you install Fallout: New Vegas if you don't already have it. And yes, you will have to be online at the time of that initial install," he continued. "However you can install the game on as many systems as you want (with no restrictions!), and you do not have to be online to play the game after your initial activation. Not only that, but once the game has activated on Steam, you can throw out the game DVD entirely and just download the game over Steam."

- Senior Producer Jason Bergman; The Escapist, "Fallout: New Vegas Switches to Steam"

Personally, I like the fact that it uses steam. Why?

Because you don't have to worry about losing the disk, and you can play it at other peoples houses without bringing the disk or installing it there.

Though it does kind of allow DRM to be slightly bypassed if a account is used by more then one person.

Pardon my language, but its idiotic to have to install another software package unrelated to the game you purchased in order to play the game.

The 'lost my disc' excuse is just that, an excuse. I have never 'lost' a disc. I have my discs from the early 90's.

If you ask me, this leaves the game more open to piracy. You could install the game, then sell the disc. They could install it and sell it as well. I fail to see why steam is better security than a physical disc.

Perhaps I just don't understand how this is better?

Pardon my language, but its idiotic to have to install another software package unrelated to the game you purchased in order to play the game.

The 'lost my disc' excuse is just that, an excuse. I have never 'lost' a disc. I have my discs from the early 90's.

If you ask me, this leaves the game more open to piracy. You could install the game, then sell the disc. They could install it and sell it as well. I fail to see why steam is better security than a physical disc.

Perhaps I just don't understand how this is better?

ahhh...it still uses a CD-Key, but with steam it means people cant share cd-keys. Previously CD-Keys were just being used for installing passes (so that if you typed in a valid one, despite how many other people may have typed it in, it would be excepted), with steam, once you set that cd-key to your account, nobody else can then use it.

Trouble is this will all but cripple the second hand games for PC, as once you use that code, nobody else can.