DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Problem with region generating? :S

DanielJ97

Hey,

Ive been working on a large new-worldspace mod, and I'm haveing really bad problems. :S

I'm trying to use the region editor to generate the trees, rocks and that. I've been using the object lists that Bethesda use for the Tamriel regions, but it keeps on crashing.

I've made the main file an .esm which means I cant use it as an Active File? So, I've just used it as a parent master for a secondary .esp containing all the data to create the regions. So, I've gone ahead and used the Generator. Took a while to do, but finnished. Went to save the .esp, and it crashes. I've spent about three hours with this consantly happening. Anyone know how to Generate large regions without this happening. I'd be able to convert back to an esp if that'd help it work??

My suggestion is to, at the minimum, you should not make it an ESM until 'after' the land height is set and the trees and rocks have cluttered the landscape. Then you make 'that' an ESM. You can then ESP your buildings and other stuff if you really want to go that route.

My suggestion is to, at the minimum, you should not make it an ESM until 'after' the land height is set and the trees and rocks have cluttered the landscape. Then you make 'that' an ESM. You can then ESP your buildings and other stuff if you really want to go that route.

I've only been making it an ESM, because I thought I'd read somewhere that thats better for generating. But, then I realised you couldn't use an ESM as an active file. :S But, what the problem actually was is that it just comes up with 'Not Responding'... So, should I just have left it to generate instead of closing it at that point? It's just that I thought it had crashed?

I've only been making it an ESM, because I thought I'd read somewhere that thats better for generating. But, then I realised you couldn't use an ESM as an active file. :S But, what the problem actually was is that it just comes up with 'Not Responding'... So, should I just have left it to generate instead of closing it at that point? It's just that I thought it had crashed?

Depends how long you left it. I'll say at this point I know very little about landscape generation, but what I have heard is that it's slow. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly how slow it is! But longer than it'll take you to make a cup of tea. And to drink it, for that matter.

You can also use Bash to flip between a master and a plugin: it's defined by a flag in the file itself so there's no need to rename it or anything. Just remember to set it back again when you're done, something I sometimes forget to do and then end up wondering why a bunch of stuff is missing from my game. :D

Depends how long you left it. I'll say at this point I know very little about landscape generation, but what I have heard is that it's slow. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly how slow it is! But longer than it'll take you to make a cup of tea. And to drink it, for that matter.

You can also use Bash to flip between a master and a plugin: it's defined by a flag in the file itself so there's no need to rename it or anything. Just remember to set it back again when you're done, something I sometimes forget to do and then end up wondering why a bunch of stuff is missing from my game. :D

Yeah, thats what I've been doing. I'll set it to generate and leave it for about and hour. :D

WillieSea is correct, some modders have waited longer than a day for a landmass to generate. The speed/success of landscape generation is generally dependent on the size of the landmass and the processing power of your machine. Once you start the process of generating it is very important that you not click on anything on the CS, even just to minimize it so you can do something else; it will cause it to crash (say not responding) or hang indefinitely. Set it to generate your region and walk away, go do something else, if the landmass is large, plan on it taking a long time. :pints:

[EDIT] Being a .esm has no effect on it being better for generating. In fact, since you can't actively change a .esm it's not what you want at all. Stick to a .esp for this. :)

I have heard that its taken over +24 hours before, for large landmasses.

WillieSea is correct, some modders have waited longer than a day for a landmass to generate. The speed/success of landscape generation is generally dependent on the size of the landmass and the processing power of your machine. Once you start the process of generating it is very important that you not click on anything on the CS, even just to minimize it so you can do something else; it will cause it to crash (say not responding) or hang indefinitely. Set it to generate your region and walk away, go do something else, if the landmass is large, plan on it taking a long time. :pints:

[EDIT] Being a .esm has no effect on it being better for generating. In fact, since you can't actively change a .esm it's not what you want at all. Stick to a .esp for this. :)

Thanks. It's not set in large regions, I've split the landmass into small regions. :)