DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The Lurker's Lair #33

WhoGuru

Thats just strange, but then again, here hydro lines are the job of Hydro One (or the local Hydro company), builders just wire houses and poles are always cheaper in the long run for them here.

Ours have historically been placed underground (well, since about the 1960s maybe) but more recently they've been more keen on suspending them from poles because it's cheaper. They've redone a few around here and I feel sorry for some people who now have ugly great supporting cables stuck in the middle of their front gardens.

What they've done here is put the pole on council-owned land, but then put cheap cables on it that are too heavy which means they subsequently need huge support cables to stop them getting pulled down, which they've somehow managed to arm-twist home-owners into accepting must go right into the middle of their gardens. The power companies here completely suck since they were privatised, though.

In other news, I'm curious about why coffee from a cafetiere makes my mouth shrivel up and die whilst coffee from an espresso machine doesn't. That also sucks since our espresso machine is still unwell.

Ummm cafe is likely using cheap coffee, thats normal for most cafe's here.

No, it's the same coffee, same grinder too (well, different grind, though) so I'm wondering if it's the brew method that's making a difference. I guess I'll know for sure if we ever get our espresso machine fixed.

Edit: and not that it's especially noteworthy, but I seem to be in an incredibly bad mood this evening. Wonder what that's all about? I feel like being in a mood because I'm in such a mood.

I'm slightly ambivalent about Doom. I've always tended to defend it against the naysayers, but then again I've always felt it's kind of failed to deliver: excellent engine but uninspired level design. I guess it works for the run-and-gun style of player and it's never made any pretence to being anything else, but for those more into exploring and nosing around... well, one of the reasons I got so excited about Mass Effect is that it delivered on those early stages of looking around the Mars base (in Doom 3, that is) where Doom didn't. And I suppose it's the same reason I was partly miffed by ME2 putting the Praesidium off-limits. Er, anyway.

I'll probably be an early adopter of Doom 4 because I can't wait to see what they've done next, but as with previous Dooms I'll probably get bored halfway through and put it to one side.

Yeah Doom is rather limited in the exploration, but it's never been about that. It's all about shooting and in Doom 3 mostly tight spaces ect. Though IIRC it was either Doom or Quake that had some open parts (Pretty much the same game, same dev too).

Quake tends to have more open spaces IIRC; Doom has some "open-ish" spaces in its various forms but they're pretty limited when it comes to exploring. I did see some mods that were pretty convincing, however, including a couple of multi-player ones that were interesting to just trudge around in themselves.

Doom 3 actually wasn't too bad in that regard, though since I'm not really a shooter at heart I got a bit tired of an imp lurking around every corner waiting to claw my face off. But at the time it came out I was curiously unaware of the existence of RPGs (don't ask why because I have no useful explanation; just one of those weird things) so I had to make do!

My other half wandered in earlier on brandishing a chunk of computer at me. It says Research Machines (which isn't unusual since they're just down the road from here) and has a Z80A nailed to it, but I don't think it's out of a 380Z or 480Z. And we can't find it on Google so we've no idea what it is. I suppose it'll have to remain a mystery.