DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Skyrim Game Informer

Johnn123

For the prison starts, paladins are easy, you simply were arrested because, although you did what is right, the person you did it against had money and had you put away. As for the start of OB, it wasn't really that bad, it was the start and tutorial, which I prefered since it blended it and was not something seperate that felt out of place.

For Skyrim, who knows what the situation will be, I will decide after.

On the idea of starting higher in level, I find that a somewhat poor choice, from my POV, simply because it implies you were something prior and that your not trying to earn your way in the world.

It all depends on what your purpose for playing is Si-Shen. I just don't want to go through all the same hoops every time I want to make a new character. Sometimes I make a new character just to play a certain mod.

In a book or a movie each character has their own backstory, talents, etc... I'd like to be able to start any place at any level. If I want to play someone who's been arrested for some unknown crime and for some reason has to be at the very bottom of the pecking order I can do that. If I want to be a young upstart who's out for revenge after having his village destroyed I can do that. If I want to play an outcast Ordinator starting a new life in Skyrim I can do that. If I want to play a gorgeous nordic warrior woman with striking blue hair who has fought many prior battles I can do that too! If I want to play the game without even starting the main quest I can do that. haha... It's an RPG... Role Playing Game... I want the freedom to role play!!! It wouldn't be that hard to do. In fact, I think there is a mod for Oblivion which allows you to do pretty much just what I'm talking about. The only catch is that the game mechanics have to compensate a little bit for your increased level - you still want to be challenged after all or else it isn't fun, which is why I'm in favor of a more static world independent from the character.

I liked Morrowind's start alright because it was relatively quick, and to this day I don't mind going through it again just for nostalgia's sake.

There are alternate start mods, yes, but no matter HOW hard you try, they never 100% merge with the game, developers have limited resources and choose what they feel is best, so although its great to have multiple beginings (Dragon Age: Origins for example), its not always optimal. As for the level changes, concidering it sounds like they are making a number of fundimental changes, it might not be as simple as with Oblivion, but over all, it is just easier to MAKE your players start at level 1 then to have to worry about programming in a feature to level them up.

I always ended up with a save in OB at the sewer but I never thought the intro was bad, it was made part of the story and was good for the novice and also good for setting up your character. If thats what they feel is best for Skyrim, I will be happy to play through it, the only thing I could see to improve it is make it that you get out of prison some how and are thrown into some sort of hectic fray at the start.

Edited by Si-Shen

Rather than classes with major and minor skills, it seems that all skills are major and contribute to the character's growth. It looks like they also did away with levels entirely and the character's stats improve a little every time a skill is increased.

sounds like oblivion + nGCD which is how i prefer it

I have this particular copy of GameInformer with the screenshots and 4 page (I believe) article spread with a small timeline of all the ES games. I'm actually happy to see how good the serving wench looked. I always felt Bethesda was lacking in the way people tended to look, but she seems to be the only person they show the face of.

As for the prisoner/open-ended back story bit vs. a set back story, that was one of the strong points in FO3, IMO. You were supposed to feel compelled to look for your father in FO3. Without a back story to connect you with his character, there wasn't any need for it. It also gave a bit of insight to his character even though he's absent throughout most of the game, and the trail he left was a big driving factor for the plot.

With Oblivion, I never really felt compelled to look for the Septim heir. I was just some guy in prison who got to speak with Captain Jean-Luc Picard and was told to go look for Boromir because he could help save the world. Sure, I was told to, and sort of told why it was important, but I didn't feel compelled to. I didn't care who he was, so I just went on my merry way stealing things every which way and not paying attention to any of the main story (which, I did pay attention my second playthrough, and it was a bit short and boring to me).

I suppose it just depends on the type of story they're trying to convey. If the story isn't terribly important, and neither are character interactions (in a general sense), the prisoner story works just fine. I do prefer an "origin" story for me characters though so I get a general feel from where I'm coming from. DA: Origins was pretty good in this regard even though the main story was very much the same.

The whole "no backstory, starting off in prison" thing has become a staple for Elder Scrolls games. Don't know about Arena, as I never played that one, but, daggerfall, you start with nothing as a shipwreck victim in a cave. Morrowind, you are shipped to Vvardenfell from the imperial prison, at the emperors suggestion. In oblivion, you start in the imperial prison.... So, starting off as a prisoner doesn't really come as a surprise.

If the Emperor telling you that you are the salvation of Cyrodiil, and, perhaps, all of Tamriel, doesn't motivate you....... well, not sure what else would. :D

HY, a large pizza may motivate some more then an emperor XD

I think it really is the ease of a blank back ground, as for being a Paladin, its simple, you get out and change your life around, no one says paladins start off great warriors of justice.

oddly enough, starting as a child in FO3 was interesting... once, but it was too scripted, too limiting. That and horribly slow and full of loading screens, where as a nice long prison without many loading screens is really nice.

The whole "no backstory, starting off in prison" thing has become a staple for Elder Scrolls games. Don't know about Arena, as I never played that one, but, daggerfall, you start with nothing as a shipwreck victim in a cave. Morrowind, you are shipped to Vvardenfell from the imperial prison, at the emperors suggestion. In oblivion, you start in the imperial prison.... So, starting off as a prisoner doesn't really come as a surprise.

If the Emperor telling you that you are the salvation of Cyrodiil, and, perhaps, all of Tamriel, doesn't motivate you....... well, not sure what else would. :D

In Arena, you start off in prison too :lol: But it's intentional - you soon find out exactly why you're there, unlike the other games.

As a Trekkie, I was only motivated because it was Patrick Stewart's voice telling me to save Martin. XD

...oddly enough, starting as a child in FO3 was interesting... once, but it was too scripted, too limiting. That and horribly slow and full of loading screens, where as a nice long prison without many loading screens is really nice.

Well, yes, the loading screens were certainly excessive, but I still think a limited back story was pertinent to establish a connection to your character's dad because he is gone for most of the game. In all honesty, FO3's story and writing weren't strong enough to let the clues of trailing your father be enough to create that sort of familial relationship without having him present, and flashbacks can be somewhat jarring.

Edited by jaggedbubbles