DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Funny stock texture paths after export from Blender

Khettienna

So, I'm having an odd issue with Blender, and I'm hoping one of you knows a fix. Here's an example to illustrate the issue:

1. Import a .nif that uses the textures "textures\wood\woodpost01.dds" (or any stock texture) and "textures\Khettienna\MyTexture.dds" (or any non-stock texture).

2. Mesh & all textures appear fine in Blender. Texture paths in Blender are correct when viewed in the Texture panel.

3. Re-export the .nif without changing anything about the textures, or even with no changes at all.

4. Texture paths are now "textures\textures\wood\woodpost01.dds" (note the extra "textures\") and "textures\Khettienna\MyTexture.dds" (note how this one is the same as it was before import).

I've poked a few people and done some searching, but I haven't found a solution yet. I feel like it's just a setting I have wrong somewhere. Any ideas? :question:

I'm with washington on this, it's more likely to be a blender export issue than a Nifskope issue. Easy enough to verify, just look at the original nif in Nifskope and check the texture path, then test it again after exporting.

I know, but echo required proof. :lmao:

One of our modellers is having this problem too. I've chewed her out a couple of times because I get meshes or textures from here that will have several extra "meshes" or "textures" folders at the start of the path. :D

Now I notice that in Washington's screenshot of the Blender settings, there is something called Relative Paths Default - is that the problem? I suspect that if that is set, Blender will automatically tack "textures" on to your file path. Now why it doesn't do that for your custom textures, I don't know. I also know absolutely nothing about Blender, so I'm taking a stab in the dark :D

*wave* I'm Andalay's modeler friend. When I had the problem, I was using 2.5.05 for the scripts, though I'm updating it now. I also had the problem when I was editing meshes in a folder I normally don't work in. I'm going to see if I can duplicate the error before I install the updated scripts.

Ama and I have been having more discussions...

Khett, have you actually extracted the vanilla textures from the BSA or are you just relying on them being in the BSA when the mesh is used in-game? Ama was able to replicate the issue when the directory didn't actually exist, so the texture wasn't in the exact path as it was referenced in the mesh. She was working on some of my stuff from one of my mods, so she didn't replicate the entire directory structure. We'll guessing that Blender might tack "textures" on to the front of the path if it can't actually find the texture file in the specified path.

I fixed it!

I do not have my stock bsa files unpacked directly into my Oblivion install; I have them unpacked into a mock Data folder elsewhere, for tidiness. So while my path was set correctly in the drop-down preferences thinger, I had it set to my mock Data folder elsewhere in the Import dialog. Having them mismatched was apparently confusing. Now they are both set to the mock Data folder, and I can see the textures in Blender and they aren't all funky in Nifskope after export (custom or stock).

This means I won't be able to see my custom textures in Blender, but since most of what I want to do is adjust stock meshes, that's probably okay. I still prefer it to a bazillion loose files in my real Data folder. XD

I'm still confused by that. I have BSA exported to an external HD, and sometimes I combine the textures from Data too, but I never had any problems like that. Who knows...

Oh, well we forgot to mention that it's also dependent on the celestial alignment...

Also local humidity, hair follicle count of pets owned, and the actual number of marshmallows in the bowl of Lucky Charms last consumed by the modder.

Of course only the whole ones count!

And, before you export, you have to hop on one foot in three counter-clockwise circles, while playing "Sweet Home Alabama" on a kazoo, and clucking like a chicken for the refrain.

I have a very complex export checklist.

(Don't even ask about the imports.)

• Upvote 1