DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Installing Saved Games after New Oblivion Install

catbelly36

Hi everyone. I've come here fairly often to get mods and talk w/ moderators and stuff, but now I need help with my actual game. My husband built us a new computer and did a backup of all of my files, including my Oblivion saves. I've got them and can "see them", but when I've tried to install them, nothing comes up in my Data Files. I've tried installing them within My Documents/My Games/Oblivion, and also in Program Files/Bethesda/Oblivion, but they're not showing up. I'm wondering if you guys could help me figure this out and get them into the right place? I did begin a new game but realized I am NOT in the mood for doing this all over again after playing for years!

Thanks so much!

Tracy

Couple of things ... What operating system is the new computer using?

If you are using XP your saved games should be listed under C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves

The Oblivion folder there has the oblivion settings, but the Saves are were the actual saved games go.

Vista or Windows 7 would be under

C:\Users\username\my documents\my games\oblivion\saves

Additionally you could try starting a new game (just a character) and save the game in the prison and have it save as game #1 and go back and verify the location before moving all the rest of your saved games there.

If you're on Vista or Windows 7, first of all don't install Oblivion in the default Program Files folder. The UAC will drive you crazy. I suggest uninstalling the game, then re-install but direct the install location to something like C:\Bethesda Softworks\. You'll have to manually create the folder first.

Are you sure you put the saves in C:\(user name)\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves ?

If you wind up having to reinstall Oblivion because it got installed in Program Files under Windows 7, as Hanaisse mentioned, make sure you back up your saved games first. I went through a similar process recently. I went from XP to Win 7 and I was able to continue my Oblivion game from where I left off under XP, so it is possible :)

When you install Oblivion, you also have to reinstall all your mods exactly the way they were previously. Once you do that, you should be able to load up your previous saved games. Now as mentioned, the path to your saved games will be different if you switched operating systems. But once you restore all the paths, you should be able to load them.

Thanks so much you guys. I'd forgotten to mention that we installed Windows 7 and so now I am using that instead of XP. Guess I'll uninstall it and re-install it in the C: directory in its own folder instead of Program Files and hopefully everything will fall into place. :) Thanks for letting me know about that, and for mentioning the mods as well. I'm not at that point yet and I'm not sure how to structure them in a certain way, so I'll be back soon to get more info on that part!! :)

Thanks so much,

Tracy