DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Meshes, where are they?

Torian

Ok so I'm trying to make a custom creature/NPC that uses the same script and model as Jygallag, but whenever I go to the object window and create a new creature, when I am then asked to select (for example) the file that determines what skeleton the creature is supposed to have, I can never find the Jygallag one, infact it seems like most model files (nif I think) and maps are actually missing.

I think they are there (since all creatures and NPCs in my game have working skeletons and models), but my computer just isn't seeing them when I try to find them in the CS for some reason.

Is there a box I didn't tick? A switch I didn't flip? A program I didn't...download? (dammit if only that rhymed!)

Edited by Torian

I tried that, atleast I tried that by right clicking the creature in question (the base object in the object window, not the reference in the render window ofcourse), finding out I could only select New, Edit, Delete, Toggle Quest Info and Use Info.

This is probably very basic, and I could swear I should know how to do this...but I just can't remember :cry:

I tried that, atleast I tried that by right clicking the creature in question (the base object in the object window, not the reference in the render window ofcourse), finding out I could only select New, Edit, Delete, Toggle Quest Info and Use Info.

This is probably very basic, and I could swear I should know how to do this...but I just can't remember :cry:

That's exactly what you have to do! Edit it but make sure you give it a different Editor ID. THIS IS CRUCIAL. If you don't, you'll end up with an altered original and that's something you (probably) don't want.

That, or you can grab the CS Extender from here. You'll need the latest version of OBSE for that. Among other things, the CS Extender allows you to view the files contained in the BSA's without needing to unpack them (the Extender contains the BSA Browser which is also a standalone program). When you choose to add a NIF, it asks you if you want to select one from the disk (from a folder in your hard drive) or from an archive (a BSA file). Simple as that.

I hope this helped.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with advising beginners to jump into CSE and OBSE, those optional addons can overwhelm and cripple a beginner's progress. Let's not throw more into the mix than necessary. :shock:

That said, the rest of El's advice is spot on, change the ID and save to make a new form, then edit that new form to your liking. :yes:

Torian, consider having a read through the CS Basics course. We walk through creating new forms from base forms and more. The class tutorials can really help dust off any cobwebs if your skills are rusty. :)

That's exactly what you have to do! Edit it but make sure you give it a different Editor ID. THIS IS CRUCIAL. If you don't, you'll end up with an altered original and that's something you (probably) don't want.

That, or you can grab the CS Extender from here. You'll need the latest version of OBSE for that. Among other things, the CS Extender allows you to view the files contained in the BSA's without needing to unpack them (the Extender contains the BSA Browser which is also a standalone program). When you choose to add a NIF, it asks you if you want to select one from the disk (from a folder in your hard drive) or from an archive (a BSA file). Simple as that.

I hope this helped.

Yeah see thats what I mean! I just knew the knowledge of how to copy existing objects was lurking somewhere in my deep dark subconscious but you just dregged it out of the murk!

Also, I won't claim to be a veteran with the CS, but I'm not a newbie. I finished the exams and class assignments on TES alliance and they were what got me into serious modding. But yes, your advice on reading up on the basics again might clear some of the forgotten tricks and stuff.

No, no one said you were a newbie, that was clear. :lmao:

Every thread here stays as a resource for other students to hunt up for answers too though, so I'd hate to see some other beginner fumbling with addons just trying to do such a basic CS action; that was my only concern in mentioning it. :)

No, no one said you were a newbie, that was clear. :lmao:

Every thread here stays as a resource for other students to hunt up for answers too though, so I'd hate to see some other beginner fumbling with addons just trying to do such a basic CS action; that was my only concern in mentioning it. :)

Damn you I say! :jellytime:

Seriously that Jellytime emoticon is just SO FREAKING AWESOME.

Anyway, I've been populating my little palace with custom NPCs now thanks to the answers given here. I will try to use the extender and OBSE for some more customized NPCs.

I have modded several successful mods without the use of OBSE or CSE. So don't think you can't make a great mod unless you have them. Just saying...

:)

Oh, I just use CSE because it somehow speeds things up in the render window. I mean it really looks like Road Runner now. Before, even with the lights out, it dragged itself. Now everything is smooth until I turn the lights on on my 800-object cell. I only use OBSE for CSE. Nothing else since my install is strictly a testing one for now so I don't fall to the guilty pleasures.

@Darkrider: you do have a point. I just wanted to help so I spilt all the beans. Should have just mentioned that you can edit the existing ones and change the Editor ID since that's all you need for an NPC (or anything that uses vanilla meshes). I have to think to myself that not everyone knows the same :P