DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

A few NPC problems

Fuzz

I have made an NPC in the CS, he spawns fine, I added some greeting text which works but that sound file I recorded in the CS didn't play. I have also made a topic for him it does not seem to show up?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The recording tool is broken in the CS you need to use an outside tool to create voice files, we commonly use Audacity because it's good quality and free.

As for the topic, did you make a new quest to contain his topic? Or did you just add it to an existing quest? If you made a quest, what is the quest priority?

The recording tool is broken in the CS you need to use an outside tool to create voice files, we commonly use Audacity because it's good quality and free.

As for the topic, did you make a new quest to contain his topic? Or did you just add it to an existing quest? If you made a quest, what is the quest priority?

That's good then, if the character isn't saying the line, then it's usually a conditions issue, you may have a condition that stops him from saying the line, or no conditions, in which case you need to add a GetIsID YourNPC == 1 condition to assign him the line.

That's good then, if the character isn't saying the line, then it's usually a conditions issue, you may have a condition that stops him from saying the line, or no conditions, in which case you need to add a GetIsID YourNPC == 1 condition to assign him the line.

I already have that condition in. This is what is bugging me :S

In the CS click the Filtered Dialogue button on the tool bar, where it says filter, select your NPC. It will then show you all the dialogue he has access to, see if the line you added is in that list, that can be a clue. NPCs choose their dialogue based on priority, but there are additional factors that can interrupt usage. Things to check. Is your quest set as Star Game Enabled? If not, it's not running so he can't say the dialogue. What conditions do you have on the quest data tab? If none, try repeating the GetIsID condition there.

From the Wiki:

My topics aren't showing

Ensure that you have added your topics properly and remember not to use the add topics box if you want to add them via a default line!

A side note: Some Topics that Are part of a quest that has ended, are not able to be re-added. In my most recent Mod I recreated a pre-made character, but the topic I wanted to use Was a part of the Quest Dark01Knife, and Once the quest was completed, The topic became unavailable. So to add the topic to my NPC, I had to Copy the topic to a new quest that I had created. Then I had to Look for the Original NPC's dialog voices and .lip files in the BSA File "Oblivion - Voices2", and then extract Them. I then had to Rename the Voice files and .Lip files to the File name that was referenced Here so that they could Be heard as well.

In the CS click the Filtered Dialogue button on the tool bar, where it says filter, select your NPC. It will then show you all the dialogue he has access to, see if the line you added is in that list, that can be a clue. NPCs choose their dialogue based on priority, but there are additional factors that can interrupt usage. Things to check. Is your quest set as Star Game Enabled? If not, it's not running so he can't say the dialogue. What conditions do you have on the quest data tab? If none, try repeating the GetIsID condition there.

From the Wiki:

I had everything done apart from the "What conditions do you have on the quest data tab? If none, try repeating the GetIsID condition there" so I did that and still it doesn't work.

You need to tell the CS to add the next topic after the greeting.

DO NOT USE THE ADD TOPIC BOX FOR THIS!!! It is bugged. See here for more info. The basic gist of it is: only use the add topic box for topics you have created, NEVER use it to add topics you have not created.

Fortunately, there is an alternative. See that little box beneath the response list the says 'Result script'? You can simply script for your greeting to add the topic like this:

addtopic <mytopicref>

(lose the <>)

Nice and clean. ;)

Edited by ThomasKaira
  • Upvote 1

You need to tell the CS to add the next topic after the greeting.

DO NOT USE THE ADD TOPIC BOX FOR THIS!!! It is bugged. See here for more info. The basic gist of it is: only use the add topic box for topics you have created, NEVER use it to add topics you have not created.

Fortunately, there is an alternative. See that little box beneath the response list the says 'Result script'? You can simply script for your greeting to add the topic like this:

addtopic <mytopicref>

Nice and clean. ;)

Thanks for this, although I just thought of this a second before I saw you post :P

I will still give you a cookie though