DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Quick check-up

ThomasKaira

I don't usually post these, but I do want to get a verdict on how will this rig will function with Skyrim from some one a bit more knowledgable than myself.

Right now, I'm banking on the fact that this rig is quite capable of running heavily modded Oblivion, but that's all I can really tell for sure.

Motherboard: MSI P6N Diamond PCI-E

Firmware: nVidia nForce 680i

Memory: 3GB DDR2 RAM @800MHz

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 gHz

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800GT

>512MB GDDR3 VRAM @900MHz

>2 way SLI capable

>Shader Model 3.0

Audio: Creative SB X-FI Titanium

>Turtle Beach EarForce X41 Digital Surround headset

Edited by ThomasKaira

What you should get from the Motherboards is "I'm doing all I can do right now."

Essentially, upgrading my core architecture means buying a new rig at this point. Apart from more VRAM on my GPU, there is nothing I can do to make this computer perform any better.

Better videocard goes a long way, though it can only go so far. SSD hard drives can net some performance.

RAM type means little. Its all temporary space that is already the second fastest bus on the board (Only beat by FSB) so the best you can do is maxamize the space that is there.

The trick with any computer is balance between space and speed. Speed means the computer can get though more information faster. Space means the computer can spread out and keep things ready for use better.

I wouldn't doubt that an 8800 can play Skyrim. Mid to low settings probably. If you want to be sure that you will be able to play it decently, look into a new videocard like a GTX460 (Power supply permitting) for a decent ~$150, which could also be carried over once you get around to doing a full overhaul, which i need to do eventually as well.

A better vidcard can be arranged. I have a 1000 Watt PSU, so power is a nonissue for me.

This computer is about as balanced as it can get, too. There really isn't much that can be done to improve it aside from a GPU upgrade.

Edited by ThomasKaira

• 4 weeks later...

If you can't do a full system upgrade, then yes, the video card update would be your best bet. Something with at least 1GB on it, though 2GB would hedge things against future capabilities for quite some time.

Longer term, you'll definitely want to make the jump to a 64 bit OS. Things may not take big advantage of them now but as time goes on, more things will. Especially once Windows 7 passes that magic number of 50% market share.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

New components:

MoBo: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)

>Intel P67 Northbridge

>SLI Ready

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.3GHz

>Quad Core

Memory: 8Gb DDR3 @ 1333MHz (2X 4Gb)

>Dual Channel

GPU: nVidia GeForce 8800GT

>512Mb GDDR3 VRAM

>2 Way SLI

>DirectX 10

PSU: 700Watt

Audio: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium

>64bit

Edited by ThomasKaira

- Make sure that the motherboard is a B3 (revision 3) and not an old one with the SATA problem.

- Now, if you plan on overclocking that 2500K, then go for 1600MHz memory. If youre not going to overclock but plan to upgrade the cpu to an i7 in the future, 1600MHz again. Bottom line, for the price difference, like for the cpu K vs non-K ($10), you should go with 1600MHz.

• 2 weeks later...