DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Gaming as an Artform

Antiscamp

Computer and Video Games are an artform, and it is a superior artform, linking all the previous artforms into one; sculpture, writing, painting, even filming and video creation... You name it. This is the ultimate artform of our times, yes this is the avante garde, the cutting-edge, like impressionism and expressionism in their days - the artform that defines our age. You can throw traditional painting and sculpture in the rubbish bin; because - been there, done that. And we, the artists, will be remembered as the Van Goghs and Rembrandts of our age. Our online forums are like the cafés in 19th century Paris, and sites like ModDB are our galleries. I am so proud to be a small member of this.

You need to be friggin' Sid Meier to become rich and famous for creating computer games. Most of us will never have any sort of success like he's had. We do this for fun and because we have to, like real art is supposed to be done. Not because we get substantial state funding or community sponsored galleries. We do this because we enjoy it and see the vast possibilities within this area, we do it for the love of gaming and the artform it is. We do it for free, we share knowledge and work, we use each others resources and tips and really, every mod is put together by a vast community of modders and few are those who have put together substantial mods or games on their very own.

Some of us also do this with the strong persuasion that history will remember us.

The one thing 99% of modders don't have is coding ability. And its that once thing that prevents them from being able to make their own games.

God knows I would love to be able to make my own games. I have an awesome idea in mind currently.

But anyhoo, I agree completely.

Absolutely true but with only one caveat...traditional brush and canvas artwork should never be lost...in my own opinion. .. it is a media with it`s own set of demands and disciplines that yields endless possibilities as abilities allow...and requires no electricity...:P

Echo...I suppose you could liken your comment to the early artists who had to formulate their own pigments to achieve the results they required...much the way we would use the base elements of code to stage our creations and control the environments in which they`re represented,no?

I agree with most of the thread. As a practicing artist of brush and canvas, I speak with Donnato on the point of preserving the old crafts. Video games are considered first and foremost an interactive medium by many, which demands attention (on the part of the player) away from the art.

Edited by Jheuloh

The game my topic avatar (Amaterasu from Okami) came from was an absolute piece of artwork! And I'm glad to say I have it in my collection.

But, I also stand by the old mediums too. I view writing in much the same way. It's an artform too. The writer's paintbrush is the words of the book, the canvas is the reader's mind.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

traditional brush and canvas artwork should never be lost...in my own opinion. .. it is a media with it`s own set of demands and disciplines that yields endless possibilities as abilities allow...and requires no electricity...:P

You are right about that. I'm a writer too, and wouldn't like books to disappear either. My remark about the older artforms was mostly aimed at the art establishment though. And we have a huge, very wealthy, and very backwards, art establishment over here in Europe.

Edited by Antiscamp