DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Problems creating a new "light" object.

The Vyper

I'm trying to create a new entry in the "Light" category in the CS. What I want to do is create a light that uses the welkyndstone03.nif. So far, what I've tried is this:

1. Right click and select "New" in the "Light" category (also tried the following steps with existing lights)

2. Click on "Add NIF File" and selected welkyndstone03.nif and clicked "OK".

3. Tried to save the .esp or place the new "light" in a cell.

Step 3 results in an instant crash.

I know for a fact a mesh can be used as a light source because several vanilla "lights" are meshes (example: WallSconceTriple01Yellow512 uses the WallSconceTriple01.NIF). Ruins of Malamath also adds a new "light" that uses a modified WelkyndItem.NIF as a light source. I've tried using that mesh (both by following the above steps and just copying it from the Malamath.esp into mine) and the CS still crashes as soon as I add the light to a cell or try to save the .esp.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

If you look at lampsconce02off.nif (not a light) vs lampsconce02.nif (a light) you'll see the latter has an AttachLight property along with a few other additional properties. I'm not a modeler, but I'd suspect those properties may be necessary for a mesh to act as a light, hence why Ruins of Malmath uses a modified version. :idea:

If you are still crashing with the modified mesh they used....maybe there's something else in the cell causing trouble, could it be something else? :shrug:

While you answered, I made a quick test myself. :lol:

I wanted to write this:

"Have a look in Nifskope at the nifs of the welkynd stone and the wall sconce and you will see, that the sconce has a block „attach light“ included, that’s the point.

I made a quick test with the welkynd stone, and it worked for me. Here is the nif with attached light: "

http://www.file-upload.net/download-3548151/WelkyndLight.7z.html

Step #3 crashing is a well known issue in the CS. Creating new lights often results in a crash, because the bounding radius on the light is set to 0 until a copy can be placed into the world.

I've never had issue with SAVING the mod, only when trying to place a freshly created light into the render window. I then have to use TES4Edit to manually edit in a value for the bounds radius before I can get it to place in the render window.

I think ShadeMe said this is going to be fixed in the next release of the Construction Set Extender.

The only thing I modified in the nif (in Ruins of Malamath) for the stones, was that I removed the havok or collision. I modded them so they wouldn't fall if a player bumped them and they also can't take them either.

Here is a screenshot of Vanilla VS Malamath Welkynd stones (Note this image is 3,600 x 1,080 but only 500kb in size)

Vyper, if it comes down to it I would be more than happy to help you create the light source. Just hit me up with a PM :)

Good Luck

If you look at lampsconce02off.nif (not a light) vs lampsconce02.nif (a light) you'll see the latter has an AttachLight property along with a few other additional properties. I'm not a modeler, but I'd suspect those properties may be necessary for a mesh to act as a light, hence why Ruins of Malmath uses a modified version. :idea:

If you are still crashing with the modified mesh they used....maybe there's something else in the cell causing trouble, could it be something else? :shrug:

I wish it was just a problem with the cell, but it happens in any cell I use, vanilla or otherwise (and I've used quite a few of both).

As I mentioned on the Beth forum for this same question, make sure you can make a new light at all. Some people cannot even do that.

I have no problems making those types of lights. I can make 'em and place 'em all day long with no problems at all. :P

While you answered, I made a quick test myself. :lol:

I wanted to write this:

"Have a look in Nifskope at the nifs of the welkynd stone and the wall sconce and you will see, that the sconce has a block „attach light“ included, that’s the point.

I made a quick test with the welkynd stone, and it worked for me. Here is the nif with attached light: "

http://www.file-upload.net/download-3548151/WelkyndLight.7z.html

Thanks for the .nif! :D JDfan over at the BGS forums made a similar one for me. Oddly enough, I can get both into the CS as light objects and save the .esp without a crash, but the CS still crashes when I try to add either one directly to a cell. However, If I add a vanilla light to a cell and then use Search & Replace to add yours and/or JDFan's, it works. Once I get just one of them placed in that manner, I can drag more into the render window without any problems. A nice little workaround.

Step #3 crashing is a well known issue in the CS. Creating new lights often results in a crash, because the bounding radius on the light is set to 0 until a copy can be placed into the world.

I've never had issue with SAVING the mod, only when trying to place a freshly created light into the render window. I then have to use TES4Edit to manually edit in a value for the bounds radius before I can get it to place in the render window.

I think ShadeMe said this is going to be fixed in the next release of the Construction Set Extender.

Not sure why I'm have trouble saving with some and not others, but oh well. So, it's a bounding radius issue, eh? Interesting. Have you tried the "Search & Replace" technique instead of/in addition to using TES4Edit?

Out of curiosity, would plugins created with the CSE require OBSE in order to work if no OBSE functions are used?

Vyper, if it comes down to it I would be more than happy to help you create the light source. Just hit me up with a PM :)

Good Luck

Thanks, DsoS!

And thanks to all of you for helping me with this! :pints:

The Bounding Radius being set to 0 does sound like it could be the problem (would also explain why some people have the problem and others do not since some systems are more strict when it comes to divide by zero errors - same as the divide by zero caused by bows with a reach of zero causing CTDs for some people but not others !!) --- When I create a light I make it using an old light and adjust as needed instead of creating a new one which might be why I had no CTD the first time placing the NIF which would also be another work around to get it working just like the search and replace does since that would also set the bbounding radius to non zero. Glad to see it is working now !

Also just a side note --- the Nifs do not seem to need the attach light node ( I tested making a light that used the Ham.nif ) and it worked fine without any attach light node added to the Nif

Not sure why I'm have trouble saving with some and not others, but oh well. So, it's a bounding radius issue, eh? Interesting. Have you tried the "Search & Replace" technique instead of/in addition to using TES4Edit?

Out of curiosity, would plugins created with the CSE require OBSE in order to work if no OBSE functions are used?

Yeah, the trouble saving just for creating the light entry alone is odd, because I've never seen it and don't know of anyone else who has. Just the placement issue.

As long as you don't use OBSE specific functions your mod won't need OBSE.

@Willie: Could be, I have an AMD CPU. Maybe AMD is more strict about this?

Also just a side note --- the Nifs do not seem to need the attach light node ( I tested making a light that used the Ham.nif ) and it worked fine without any attach light node added to the Nif

Indeed - it works, I just added a nice ham-light to my cottage. :lol:

Well, I remembered a similar problem some time ago, when a "normal" nif did not work as a light for me, so I assumed the "attach light" is necessary.

Yeah, the trouble saving just for creating the light entry alone is odd, because I've never seen it and don't know of anyone else who has. Just the placement issue.

As long as you don't use OBSE specific functions your mod won't need OBSE.

@Willie: Could be, I have an AMD CPU. Maybe AMD is more strict about this?

Nope. I've got Nvidia and have the same problem... Very strange.

Without an Attach Light node the light gets attached to the center of your NIF. That's fine in a lot of cases but if you want the light projecting from a specific part of your model, you can use the Attach Light node to control where in your NIF it's attached by the game engine. :)

WT

Without an Attach Light node the light gets attached to the center of your NIF. That's fine in a lot of cases but if you want the light projecting from a specific part of your model, you can use the Attach Light node to control where in your NIF it's attached by the game engine. :)

WT

Makes sense - Thanks for the info.