DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[WIPz] Isle Change You - An Imperial Isle Mod

Glimiril

[WIPz] Isle Change You

The aim of this mod is to bring some sense to the Imperial Isle, at-least from my perspective, and looking for feedback and maybe some know how.

I have always wanted to do a mod for Oblivion, there is so many excellent mods, I meant to start modding ages ago, just other commitments as I'm sure many understand. I originally thought my mod would be script based as in the past it has been my forte, so it's a surprise to me I'm attempting this, having re-installed, and finding unfinished or beautiful yet not answering my needs mods.

Concept Birth and Reasons for the mod: I started playing Oblivion, originally way back in 06 on the Xbox 360, some questions have stayed with me, till I have decided to give them atleast an answer of sorts.

Why is the Market where it is in the City without any logistical consideration, just how do the goods get to market.

Why knowing the Emperor is Dead (same even with Alternative Start) doesn't the Island get patrolled, surely even a token gesture?

Why is the Elven Gardens called so, without any garden to be seen.

Why wasn't the Prison swapped for the Mages Academy location, makes more sense to be near the ships.

Does the waterfront supply the city, with 1 pirate ship and I floating bar?

Why is the Isle so dull?

Why with any other humanoid existence is there a lack of people gravitating over years around the lands Capital City and atleast making some effort to colonize a large empty space?

Why isn't there rudimentary skill trainers near the Capital for all disciplines?

Why do the Mages get away with doing nothing practical for the City?

Why are there Horses in the stables without any owners?

And some wants of more Role playing, beauty spots, and a reason to visit the isle in the first place other than to escape the sewers and hop in and out of the city.

Now I am in shock at my efforts thus far, sure I did the brilliant Tutorials here last year, yet never handed in (hehe) Many many thanks to DarkRider and others. So far progress is:

There are no NPCs or Interiors for ships or buildings as yet, all efforts so far have been to give the Isle the Cosmetics, seemed to me to be the logical start.

The Wilderness area outside the market and Prison :

Done: No more Bridge to the Prison district, A ramp now goes down to a staging area (for atleast in my imagination for the goods to get up into the city). There is an Inn, stables and a number of tents. The prison now has stairs leading down to the path. New teleport.

Planned: With planned initial holding area for both market and the prison. Open up the water area not far away for prison ships. Sewer Exit (original story comes from), to have some kind of civilization, there is a lovely switchback path that could do with some love.

The wilderness area outside the Mages academy:

Done: Transportation portals around the island, my concept for how to get goods from delivery points to the market holding area, but also a chance to quickly get around the island and give the Mages some kind of responsibilty to the city, also now a natural beauty spot as high up, with benches, stables, and a house for Mages and Battle mages to sleep when off duty. The bridge remains, however a beauty feature has been added, inspired by a walk home in real life view.

The wilderness opposite waterfront:

Done: Added 4 New ships, New docking area, Teleport, Sheltered places to store goods.

Planned: Add a lower class village.

The Main entrance to the City:

Done: added Teleport.

Planned: To get those horses owned and used

The wilderness outside Elven district:

Done: teleport added

Planned: A gate from the city, a Garden that caanot be accessed apart from teleporting, through elven district, or from flying to. Concept is about making it beautiful, inaccessible and a supply of some alchemy ingredients aswell as an intriguing maze like feel.

Much landscaping has been done but not mentioned, I am using hopefully only original oblivion props and textures to keep size down and workload down. There will compatibility issues with other mods that change anything in the Outer Isle, or conflict with me adding a Gate to elven District (Once Complete , I'll look for ways to patch to most popular). Much Clutter filling needs to still happen. Patrols will be done by Imperial Soldiers, Combat mages will look after in pairs with a Mage of a Discipline that can train, any portal, 2 mages being in main portal area. Other NPC trainers appropriate to RPG situation will also be placed, however all will be catered for all will not train beyond 40 in any skill.

Ideas I would like to know how to do:

Pack Mules, I would like to have them and be able to follow master NPC and as NPC teleports to their destination given routine keep following.

Teleport system works as such: Any Teleport station will port you to the Mages Academy Transportation area, and from there you teleport to either of the other locations, 4 being in all :Main Entrance to city, Market Holding area, The New Docks, Elven Gardens ( hopefully no goods transports going there).

My main hope is that this mod feels like it belongs and fits into the seamless world space.

I'll post screen shots soon, as much is work in progress and alot of areas are what I call eye candified, yet much is subject to change,

I really look forward to any feedback, what ever you have to say I value all healthy feedback. I do want to keep this mod fairly easy to manage, and for a change am looking not to get too complex.

Edited by Glimiril

This looks really interesting; It sounds like a great alternative to something like Better Cities' version of the Imperial City, which makes the city prettier but still doesn't factor in any of the logistical side of the IC's arrangement like your mod seems to focus on. One thing I would say is do you have any screenshots of what you've done so far? It all sounds really promising but its quite hard to offer feedback without some sort of visualization of what you've achieved so far.

• 3 weeks later...

An Update...

About a week ago I abandoned the original of this mod, as after playing around with it, I had mistakenly made it too convenient and it didn't quite sit well with the game.

So I started again, and I am glad I experienced the first time around as I learnt so much. The newer version is taking shape quite smoothly at the moment.

I have only taken a few screen shots thus far .Screen shots.

Elven Gardens a tranquil place only accessible from Elven Garden district or you can fly...where statues of the gods and water exist a place to rest and take in the environment. Shady Sam resides here just not obviously.

Wilderness between Stables, Garden and Lake Rumare here the stream that starting in the elven gardens winds its self down towards the lake. Waterfalls some large and small tumble down the landscape, and beware of a well concealed cove, where upon bandits lay in wait and plan the ambushing of travellers.

Talos Entrance to the City has become more direct from Weye and a little more grand, the entire Talos bridge is better lit, new roads exist underneath and down towards the docks.

The road network takes in many sights yet is easier for passing fair to travel to districts outside the city. Along it's course are Travel Lodges rudimentary by nature, where suppliers and the Imperial guard rest, yet for a small price you too can use for a day

The WaterFront has been extended, and roads going to it have been revealed, now more ships are harboured and spread out, a new building complex has been raised in the style of the Imperial city districts to cater for more commerce.

The Prison Ship Harbour is an area not far from the sewer where many escape from after witnessing the death of the Emperor, here the outlet to the lake has been made and a ship readed to take the most dangerous from these lands.

The Imperial Market Entrance is now a place to be accessed for travelling suppliers wishing to get their goods to market. With an inn "Stock and Chains" situated beneath the prison walls. The prison's paths either lead to the city or down to the prison ship.

I have plans for other areas, that I hope will add to the feeling of life outside the city exists and helps the city to function. Plus also places for an adventurer to witness, take in the vistas and take advantage if so inclined.

As of yet very little AI and NPCs have been added though all Path grids have been done, some tested others not. Furnishing buildings and clutter still remain to be done. Flora in some areas is sufficient other area still need attention. NPCs is the next thing concentrating on to see how my new landscape and structures either add, or prohibit immersion (once someone has this loaded I really don't want it to be noticed much other than the thought of glad it is)

This looks really interesting; It sounds like a great alternative to something like Better Cities' version of the Imperial City, which makes the city prettier but still doesn't factor in any of the logistical side of the IC's arrangement like your mod seems to focus on. One thing I would say is do you have any screenshots of what you've done so far? It all sounds really promising but its quite hard to offer feedback without some sort of visualization of what you've achieved so far.

My apologies for not replying sooner, I really appreciated you asking for screenies, as I at the time was ploughing away only to not see my error, I'm in a way glad I didn't.This mod only adds one thing to the inner world of the imperial city, and that is add a door to the Elven Garden, I decided the Isle needed more life, the city feels more alive as you know life goes on outside it's walls. Becuase of this and the danger of moving districts around this mod simply tries to give some reason why Elven and Market are so named. And give the Island that sits in the lake a feeling of wilderness, beauty and functionality.

I have produced some screen shots of the mod I have restarted.

Thank you so much for your interest and sorry again for late reply.

I hope this is the right place to ask...I need to learn how to do something and wondering how to do it.

What I want to achieve through nifs, is Horses carry crates ( I already have a nif that horses I create can carry chests) 2 crates is all I'm looking for. And I also want to create something that can be equipped by a NPC when in sneak that has a Crate on their back, thus giving the illusion of a heavy weight.

I have just downloaded nifscope, I am a complete novice as of yet, Is it possible to copy and drag a crate nif from Oblivion over the top of an existing nif, thus replacing chest with crate. and for the equpable crate what do I need to consider and how would anyone suggest I do it?

Thanks for reading my request, and I hope you can help me as it's fundamental to my mods approach and infrastructure.