DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS error or mine?

mALX

If anyone knows what this error message (from the CS) means, I'd appreciate the help. (I keep getting the message while trying to save an ESP I'm working on - a huge one that spans months of work that I don't want to lose, lol).

Unable to complete operation due to failure removing previous file. Temp file remains.

Continue Playing?

"Yes to all" will disable all warnings this session.

Edited by mALX

It means another program is using the plugin file. Make sure to close out background modding programs like TES4Edit before you save.

Thanks, Master Chef TK. I actually didn't have anything open, but do use Vista (use is a relative term with Vista) - Vista grabs your most used files (for some odd reason) and puts them into a "Virtual Storage" the second you turn off the CS or OBMM - and when I went there and looked it was holding both my ESP (still) and a TES file of the same name. GAAAAH !!

Hey TK, (since I've got your ear) ... All Natural's ESM has somehow been set up on the CS & OBMM as "required" for my ESP - and it shouldn't be at all, really don't know how that happened. Do you know how to go about "Un-connecting" it from my mod?

Edited by mALX

Open the mod in TES4Edit and use the "Clean Masters" function. So long as your mod does not reference anything in All Natural Base.ESM, the master will be removed.

Otherwise, you will need to rip the master out using Gecko. Same thing, though, you will just need to say "yes" for each prompt it gives you for records that will be deleted.

Open the mod in TES4Edit and use the "Clean Masters" function. So long as your mod does not reference anything in All Natural Base.ESM, the master will be removed.

Otherwise, you will need to rip the master out using Gecko. Same thing, though, you will just need to say "yes" for each prompt it gives you for records that will be deleted.

I ran it through twice, it removed it no problem - then said it couldn't save. So I reopened it and there it was again. ARGH !! I just got an idea, I'm going to R-click and run the TES4Edit as an administrator - see if that solves the problems. [censored Vista].

TK, you ROCK !! Thank you so much for all your help, you are Awesome! I hope this works, lol. Here, have a cookie - :cookie4u:

Edited by mALX

• 4 weeks later...

I've had this issue in 7 as well. When I open up a downloaded file that is a zip file that I did not save, it gets put into your temporary folder. For example, if you were to download a mod that was a zip file and instead of saving, you just clicked "Open", it would place it in a temporary folder so you could access it. If I install said mod and try to edit and save it, this window pops up. I found that, when you install the mod, if you delete it from this temp folder, this issue doesn't happen. I think the computer sees it open in 2 places for some reason and doesn't know which one to save, since it sees both files as open.

Again, I've only seen this with unsaved ZIP files. If I save the ZIP file or the download is a 7z or Rar file, I don't have this issue. No idea why. I never had this problem when I ran Oblivion on XP, so I think its a incompatability with newer operating systems.

I've had this issue in 7 as well. When I open up a downloaded file that is a zip file that I did not save, it gets put into your temporary folder. For example, if you were to download a mod that was a zip file and instead of saving, you just clicked "Open", it would place it in a temporary folder so you could access it. If I install said mod and try to edit and save it, this window pops up. I found that, when you install the mod, if you delete it from this temp folder, this issue doesn't happen. I think the computer sees it open in 2 places for some reason and doesn't know which one to save, since it sees both files as open.

Again, I've only seen this with unsaved ZIP files. If I save the ZIP file or the download is a 7z or Rar file, I don't have this issue. No idea why. I never had this problem when I ran Oblivion on XP, so I think its a incompatability with newer operating systems.

I never had problems of any kind in Windows XP, wish we could still get it (and supported) in new PC's.