DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

View / Edit Skyrim nifs?

ResolveThatChord

Has anyone succeeded in getting mehes out of Skyrim and into Blender?

I thought I'd get started on some custom meshes, and dipped into the BSA for some vanilla references. I found that neither Nifskope nor the Blender nif scripts wanted to read the file.

The problem may be the extractor I used (Fomm; it's always worked before and I've never felt the need to use another), but I'm afraid that the problem may be nifskope and the scripts themselves, and poor Amorilia may have yet more work cut out for him.

Nice being able to open them in Nifskope now; though I suspect waiting for Blender support may take more patience than I'm usually blessed with!

I wonder what's the difference between the _0 and _1 files (nothing I can see at a casual glance) and what they're for? I have noticed that if they're not in synch it causes visual weirdness but I've no idea what's the purpose of the new scheme.

Nice being able to open them in Nifskope now; though I suspect waiting for Blender support may take more patience than I'm usually blessed with!

I wonder what's the difference between the _0 and _1 files (nothing I can see at a casual glance) and what they're for? I have noticed that if they're not in synch it causes visual weirdness but I've no idea what's the purpose of the new scheme.

They're for the bodyweight variation. _0 is the slimmest size, _1 the biggest.

They're for the bodyweight variation. _0 is the slimmest size, _1 the biggest.

Oh, right, a bit like the way the hair length setting worked in Oblivion? I must admit I hated doing those hair meshes, didn't really have the confidence to yank the vertices into place for the "big" version. I'm suddenly feeling a bit more daunted by the new NIF scheme too... :unsure:

Nifskope doesn't render textures do you know how to fix this problem guys?

Do you have the latest version? The very early experimental one didn't, but the current one does.

I've managed to get the meshes into Blender by deleting the texture blocks and changing the file version to 11.34, though it seems to hiccup when importing rigged meshes for some reason; saving them also doesn't seem problematic (well, obviously, I guess, since Blender's used that version for New Vegas for ages!) and I've converted them back to version 12.83, re-copied the texture blocks and done some other faffing about that makes it look like they should work in Skyrim, but no joy so far: I guess I must've missed something, but hunting down minor configuration differences in Nifskope has always confounded me.

Has anyone succeeded in getting mehes out of Skyrim and into Blender?

I thought I'd get started on some custom meshes, and dipped into the BSA for some vanilla references. I found that neither Nifskope nor the Blender nif scripts wanted to read the file.

The problem may be the extractor I used (Fomm; it's always worked before and I've never felt the need to use another), but I'm afraid that the problem may be nifskope and the scripts themselves, and poor Amorilia may have yet more work cut out for him.

So maybe you guys could be kind and helpful to this Nifscope newb, but all I want to be able to do is view some textures as they would look on an objects so that I can determine if I want that particula texture in my game. I have the beta Nifscope and I've set up the Resources to be Skyrim - Texures.bsa in the Data folder and my Render folder is the The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data folder. I don't get a list of anything to work with, so what do I do next?

You need to make sure they are extracted, Nifskope won't look in BSAs. After that do this:

Open up the Skyrim NIF in the new Nifskope, press F3 to bring up the block details pane at the bottom of the screen. Now what you need to do is find the BSLightingShaderProperty in the Block list pane, expand the node and you'll see the BSShaderTextureSet, click on it. Now in the Block details pane you'll see the textures.

TextureLink.png

This is where you appy them manually.

You need to make sure they are extracted, Nifskope won't look in BSAs. After that do this:

It normally looks in BSAs, doesn't it? I know that Blender won't handle BSAs though, and it's something of a hassle telling it to load the texture after extracting it: sometimes I think it's quicker to re-import the mesh rather than to faff about with its texture mapping...

So maybe you guys could be kind and helpful to this Nifscope newb, but all I want to be able to do is view some textures as they would look on an objects so that I can determine if I want that particula texture in my game. I have the beta Nifscope and I've set up the Resources to be Skyrim - Texures.bsa in the Data folder and my Render folder is the The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data folder. I don't get a list of anything to work with, so what do I do next?

Could it be an UAC problem if you have installed Skyrim in the standard directory? Copy the BSA to another folder outside any of the standard program files folders and point the render/settings to that folder. Works for me.

I've never known it to look in BSAs :shrug:, Might be a feature I've missed though.

I just checked to make sure I wasn't talking out of my bottom, which has been known to happen on occasion (well okay, quite regular occasions) but it does seem to be the case. Just looked at a piece of armour I'd extracted, but first I renamed the texture directory so it definitely wouldn't find any texture I might have lying around, and it still displayed the textured version; so it does seem to be scanning the BSA file. I think I had to add it manually to its resource list, though.

I just checked to make sure I wasn't talking out of my bottom, which has been known to happen on occasion (well okay, quite regular occasions) but it does seem to be the case. Just looked at a piece of armour I'd extracted, but first I renamed the texture directory so it definitely wouldn't find any texture I might have lying around, and it still displayed the textured version; so it does seem to be scanning the BSA file. I think I had to add it manually to its resource list, though.

Oh cool, didn't know that :D