DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Invisible Head Problem

Dollparts

This thread is for those who had has issues with their character(s) head going invisible after changing their race with the console command 'set race (insert race name here)'

For those of you who are familiar with me and my character, Genevieve, you may notice she is completely human thus far from screenshots I have posted.

Obvs.. because the Creation Kit isn't out yet I cannot make a custom race and kitty-fy her. Furthermore, I don't even know if I will as I have been writing a short story based on my character and her history and.. ok pointless details, let's move on.

I created Genevieve and, being the absent minded blonde I am, forgot to change her race from Nord to Imperial. I made her and went on thinking she was an Imperial, not paying attention to her racial powers or the face ppl called me Nord/kinsmen/etc. Anyways Steam and I had a disagreement and my save was corrupted. I had to reinstall the game, all my mods and textures, and remake my character fron scratch, thus explaining why she went from a blue eyed blonde to an amber eyes brunette. Again, falls in line with the short story I am making.

ANYWAYS... scatterbrain...

I recreated my character from scratch, face an all. As I said, I forgot to change her from a Nord to Imperial.. again. I did it with the first incarnation and the second. :doh: So when I realized this I used the console command "Setrace Imperial" to change her to an Imperial from a Nord. No tweaking with the race menu was needed because the 'setrace' command simply takes your existing race and changes the race only.

~ You could make a Breton and use 'Setrace Highelf' to turn him/her into a High Elf with the same eye colour, and skin tone as your Breton, all that would that changes really is the hair and any makeup etc. A handy command if I might say so ~

So I used the command and Genevieve became the Imperial I meant her to be. Her face and makeup was the same, all that changed was her hairstyle, but it was the same one I was using just without a braid so I left it. This is where the problem started. Next time I logged her in and was in 3rd person mode her head was invisible! After some searching on the internet I found people with the same problem had solved it by using the 'setrace' command to change their race back to what it originally was, and then using it again, set it back to what they had changed it to.

So for me I did the following:

"Setrace Nord" - reverted Genevieve to a Nord, restored her head, and everything remained the same except her hair, no bigs because I was changing her race again in a second

and then

"Setrace Imperial" - returned her to an Imperial and I went about my business.

Problem was I had to do this every time I loaded her save game. Quick loads included. This is a bother, especially if unlike me you need to tweak your character after using the 'setrace' command because when you load you'll need to set race to the race your char was when you created him/her, set the race to whatever you changed to and then 'showracemenu' it up to tweak. A lot of work right?

Well I didn't like the face I could never, ever, tweak my face in any way, shape or form and keep it that way. On a random whim I decided to try something. Here is what I did.

1. Loaded my save, head was invisible.
  2. Opened the console, typed 'setrace Nord' - race switched to Nord.
  3. With console still open typed 'setrace Imperial' - race switched to Imperial.
  4. Still with the console opened, typed 'setracemenu', changed the race manually to High Elf (as it is the race directly before Imperial in the list), watched my character become a High Elf, and then switched back to Imperial - Reverting to how she looked prior to switching to an Altmer.
  5. From here I tweaked my face as desired, set her name and finished.
  6. Saved my game, quit to desktop and relaunched Skyrim.
  7. Loaded my character, toggled 3rd person view and.. her head was not invisible and her face was as I left it after saving/quitting.

This worked for me and my character's face has not changed, her head has not become invisible and my problem seems to be solved. If you are having a similar problem give this a try and see if it works. If it does..huzzah! :icecream:

Ta ta for meow.

~Dollparts~