DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

TES Oblivion CS Crashes

Zehryo

It crashes very often, if not every time I'm loading heightmaps. I managed to load up to 16 sections (1024x1024 16bits raw), but anything above that gives me "not responding" situations and consequent crashes.

I just want a HUGE map, any trick/fix to avoid these crashes? =(

My system has an i7 920 @4.2GHz and 12GB of RAM, I kinda doubt it's something related to computing resources. Plus I'm working on a RAID0 volume....!! >.<

Maybe I should install the OBSE, that would help? =o

Help, please! =(

Sometimes the CS just takes a looooooooong time to load big landmasses and during that load it may even say (Not Responding). Best bet is to initiate the load and don't touch anything, walk away until it's done. If you click on the CS or anywhere else on your screen while it's loading, it will likely crash, it's not much of a multi-tasker. XD

That's what I do, I just wait.....and wait.....and wait.....until all the CS windows go white and a Windows (OS) error message appears saying the program stopped responding and that it has to be closed (but if I want I can search online for possible solutions!).

It just HATES me... >.<

By the way.

I've (hold your pants, now) made a 16384x16384 height map (experimental) to make a really huge map. I want a world that takes me real hours to be walked through!!!

I've obviously cut it in 1024x1024 squares (just 256!!!), saved them separately (omg...) and renamed them all to conform to CS's standard (pain in the....backbone).

I know, by reading here and there, that CS doesnt load the whole list of files, when you first make your worldspace from HeightField folder. You have, this is what I read, to click over the various areas of the overview window to force CS to load them all. With my first experiment, a 4x4 squares world, it worked fine enough, with few crashes (once I've discovered clicking around isnt a good idea).

Since doing this with the 16x16 world was bringing frequent crashes around the 3rd-4th area, I tried to hook the files by "Importing" them from the HeightField folder. It actually works and CS renames all the files to ".raw.imported", which (I guess) doesnt really change anything in the files except the extension. But, again, it crashes when it gets around the 6th to 10th file.

I dont know what to do.... =p

Anyway. I'm using pretty bad tools, maybe.....

The first tutorial I've found suggests "Fractal World Explorer" to make the heightmaps and PhotoShop to slice them in squares. But once you go above the 4x4 size, it becomes a real blow (I hope this has the negative meaning I'm thiking of).

Plus I find Fractal Map viewer to be a bit.....ehm.....rough!! Mountains are pretty squared, not large/tall enough and lack steepness, to me. Any better tool I could use?

I've read something about CS being able to generate random maps, is that true? Does it produce good results?

And, as always, the more generic questions: any particular advice? Any favourite tool of yours that you'd suggest me to use? Anything at all? ^^

Thank you! =)

Edited by Zehryo